Baseball Tonight

whitesoxin'

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
Good point

Yankees will go to the playoffs no doubt and knowing steinbrenner if they have pitching problems hes willin to make a trade.  You cant call them out now.

I will call them out now. Their pitching sucks, and has for a few years now. They've known it, and haven't been able to do anything significant to improve it. Expect it to suck again.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 03:11 AM)
I will call them out now.  Their pitching sucks, and has for a few years now.  They've known it, and haven't been able to do anything significant to improve it.  Expect it to suck again.

Kenny >>>>>>>>> Cashman

Good points.

Pitching does win championships, but its not like yankees just throw out duds. They have a great bullpen, with pretty decent starters.

Their hitting is out of this world tho, with a better option (damon) in centerfied it fix's their one problem on the offensive side, plus helps a Little on defense.

I expect the yankees to make it to the ALCS, and would love to sweep them considering I dont like them.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 09:07 PM)
Game 1 - NYY 4 LAA 2

Game 2 - NYY 3 LAA 5

Game 3 - LAA 11 NYY 7

Game 4 - LAA 2 NYY 3

Game 5 - NYY 3 LAA 5

Not sure I'd say Anaheim had no problem whatsoever scoring runs.  They hit the s*** out of the ball in game 3, but aside from that, I see no huge run totals. 

And fwiw, I didn't say the Sox would have lost to New York - I just thought Anaheim provided a better matchup.  That's the same exact reason I wanted Houston over St. Louis - while Houston had the better pitching staff, their offense was not nearly as strong  as St. Louis' was.  Thus, again, a better matchup.

Fair enough.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
Good points.

Pitching does win championships, but its not like yankees just throw out duds. They have a great bullpen, with pretty decent starters.

Their hitting is out of this world tho, with a better option (damon) in centerfied it fix's their one problem on the offensive side, plus helps a Little on defense.

I expect the yankees to make it to the ALCS, and would love to sweep them considering I dont like them.

There's nothing great about their bullpen outside of Rivera. They're gonna miss Tom Gordon.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)
Dotel, when healthy but he's not 100% yet.  Myers can own lefties.  Farnsworth is too much of a headcase to be consistent.

Dotel won't be playing until what, August IIRC? And he's not that great. He had a few good years, but past that hasn't looked impressive at all.

Er, not August, June it seems. Still..

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
Good points.

I don't know, man. I think the White Sox will be the Top Seed and the Yankees will be the Wild Card, so we'll knock them out in the ALDS. I think Oakland and the Blue Jays will be the other seeds. Of course, I'd rather the Indians make the Wild Card and then we can knock them out of the Playoffs, but I think the Yankees will.

Dotel won't be playing until what, August IIRC?  And he's not that great.  He had a few good years, but past that hasn't looked impressive at all.

Er, not August, June it seems.  Still..

3.63 career ERA

1.20 career WHIP

.213 career BAA

10.87 career K/9

Dotel may not help the Yankees much this season but when healthy, Dotel is really really good. He seems to choke as a closer but he is an awesome setup man.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
I don't know, man. I think the White Sox will be the Top Seed and the Yankees will be the Wild Card, so we'll knock them out in the ALDS. I think Oakland and the Blue Jays will be the other seeds. Of course, I'd rather the Indians make the Wild Card and then we can knock them out of the Playoffs, but I think the Yankees will.

Good, then Fran Thomas can watch another Sox playoff victory... from the stands.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Good, then Fran Thomas can watch another Sox playoff victory... from the stands.

No, to hell with that. I'd like it to be Sox v. A's in the Championship Series, and we can knock them out, too. Although a rematch from the 1990s with the Blue Jays wouldn't be bad.

Don't let the magic of 2005 wear into this year. The Sox are a good team, but they still have to beat Cleveland and Minnesota before they even have a chance at the playoffs. A year of experience and heartbreak is only going to mean Cleveland will be hungrier this year, and the Twins are still going to be scrappy as hell, cuz that's just who they are. If both stay healthy, they are 90 win teams.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
Don't let the magic of 2005 wear into this year.  The Sox are a good team, but they still have to beat Cleveland and Minnesota before they even have a chance at the playoffs.  A year of experience and heartbreak is only going to mean Cleveland will be hungrier this year, and the Twins are still going to be scrappy as hell, cuz that's just who they are.  If both stay healthy, they are 90 win teams.

I'm not worried about Cleveland. They're a serious team, sure, but whereas they might be, on paper, a 90 win team, the Sox are a 100 win team, I believe. I agreed with Buehrle when he said that the Indians were a weaker team this year. I grew up hating the Cleveland Indians, though, even though I grew up playing with a Cleveland Indians glove that my Dad gave me. Funny how that works sometimes.

As far as the Twins -- I can't see them doing better than last year.

Our real threat comes from the Royals!

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
Don't let the magic of 2005 wear into this year.  The Sox are a good team, but they still have to beat Cleveland and Minnesota before they even have a chance at the playoffs.  A year of experience and heartbreak is only going to mean Cleveland will be hungrier this year, and the Twins are still going to be scrappy as hell, cuz that's just who they are.  If both stay healthy, they are 90 win teams.

No doubt about it. The central is as good as any division in baseball this season. It's gonna be a dogfight just to get back to the playoffs. I'm fairly certain (although I'd love to be wrong) that we won't have a 15 game cushion to work with this time around.

And if Jim Thome doesn't produce and Vazquez doesn't adjust well, the Sox are screwed. With Jim Thome's lack of production, the LH bat that was brought in is not effective, and it kills any advantage that gave the Sox before. With Vazquez's sucking, McCarthy is being put into the rotation Vazquez probably moving into McCarthy's spot, where he will be an incredibly expensive reliever.

You also can't forget about Politte and Hermanson's career years either. If they should happen to revert to their career norms, the Sox pen then takes a hit as well.

Regardless of any of the above happening, if Cleveland gets off to a good start this year(say a 23-17 start after 40 games, instead of the 17-23 they put up last year), they will cause troubles. If Minnesota does the same, they are going to be troublesome. Hell, the Tigers and Royals are in the same exact category. From everything I have read on here over the past month, the 1984 White Sox were the World Champs too - until the season started.

That's what makes baseball great - last year, the Sox were a 4th place lock, looking at their first top 10 pick since 1990. As it turned out, they won the Series. Now, because of the s*** that happened last year, they are guaranteed to win 100 games? I don't think so.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
And if Jim Thome doesn't produce and Vazquez doesn't adjust well, the Sox are screwed.  With Jim Thome's lack of production, the LH bat that was brought in is not effective, and it kills any advantage that gave the Sox before.  With Vazquez's sucking, McCarthy is being put into the rotation Vazquez probably moving into McCarthy's spot, where he will be an incredibly expensive reliever. 

You also can't forget about Politte and Hermanson's career years either.  If they should happen to revert to their career norms, the Sox pen then takes a hit as well. 

Regardless of any of the above happening, if Cleveland gets off to a good start this year(say a 23-17 start after 40 games, instead of the 17-23 they put up last year), they will cause troubles.  If Minnesota does the same, they are going to be troublesome.  Hell, the Tigers and Royals are in the same exact category.  From everything I have read on here over the past month, the 1984 White Sox were the World Champs too - until the season started. 

That's what makes baseball great - last year, the Sox were a 4th place lock, looking at their first top 10 pick since 1990.  As it turned out, they won the Series.  Now, because of the s*** that happened last year, they are guaranteed to win 100 games?  I don't think so.

Nobody's guaranteed anything, of course, but the White Sox are in good shape this year. If Thome doesn't produce, he can be replaced by Mac, who of course isn't as good as a healthy, younger Thome but he wouldn't be the death of our team.

I feel good about our team, and I don't think Cleveland's as strong as people make them out to be.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)
Nobody's guaranteed anything, of course, but the White Sox are in good shape this year. If Thome doesn't produce, he can be replaced by Mac, who of course isn't as good as a healthy, younger Thome but he wouldn't be the death of our team.

I feel good about our team, and I don't think Cleveland's as strong as people make them out to be.

If Thome doesn't produce, we're screwed.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
No, to hell with that. I'd like it to be Sox v. A's in the Championship Series, and we can knock them out, too. Although a rematch from the 1990s with the Blue Jays wouldn't be bad.

You missed my point. It will be the Sox and As, just Frank will be sitting in the stands with a torn something or other.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
You missed my point. It will be the Sox and As, just Frank will be sitting in the stands with a torn something or other.

Maybe with a broken nail?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
If Thome doesn't produce,  we're screwed.

No way. There's always the option of trading. But we've got players that could supplement our offense adequately, if not exponentially.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)

No way. There's always the option of trading. But we've got players that could supplement our offense adequately, if not exponentially.

If Thome puts up last years numbers this team will definately be in a hole. I wouldn't count them out because of our pitching staff. I'm still convinced we may be looking at acquiring a big time closer or reliever at the trade deadline and potentially a CF.

Anderson has all the tools but his swing is freaking FUGLY. He just looks overmatched at the plate. He can definately improve though and it could be he's still pressing (I just remember how disgusting he looked last year with the big club).

And your right this team could make a trade. That said if Thome bellies up, than financially (they may have a bit of room) it would have to be for a lesser paid guy.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:51 AM)
If Thome puts up last years numbers this team will definately be in a hole.  I wouldn't count them out because of our pitching staff.  I'm still convinced we may be looking at acquiring a big time closer or reliever at the trade deadline and potentially a CF.

Anderson has all the tools but his swing is freaking FUGLY.  He just looks overmatched at the plate.  He can definately improve though and it could be he's still pressing (I just remember how disgusting he looked last year with the big club). 

And your right this team could make a trade.  That said if Thome bellies up, than financially (they may have a bit of room) it would have to be for a lesser paid guy.

The team'll have problems, sure, if Thome puts up last year's numbers. Thome, however, only played a minimal number of games last year due to injury. I believe in him and the team when they say he's in good shape and ready to go, and a healthy Thome is a monster of a masher.

But we've got guys who could fill in for him reasonably well. Who'd have thought that Carl Everett could replace Frank Thomas for a year and help lead the team to the Series? Rob Mack could be that man if Thome became suddenly injured.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:47 AM)

Trade what? We traded two of our top pitching prospects just to get Thome. We don't have anywhere near the same depth in the minors this year. Unless you're talking about trading a guy like Contreras.