Oscar's Thread.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
Brokeback Mountain?  I'm not about to watch a suckfest.  No pun intended.  Puns are never intended!

Why am I still watching Shawshank Redemption and Forrest Gump over and over and over and over again?

Someone make a good movie FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.  It's been like 10 years.  I'm in the f***ing Twilight Zone over here.  You'd have to strap me down and drug me up if you wanted me to watch any of these retarded award shows.  My wife had that bulls*** on.  I was on my way to the bathroom when I spotted Ludacris?  Grown people are watching this nonsense?  My own wife, damn....  :crying

heres the best picture nominees for roughly the last 10 years. No good movies in there huh?? :banghead

1996 (69th)

BEST PICTURE

The English Patient -- Saul Zaentz, Producer

Fargo -- Ethan Coen, Producer

Jerry Maguire -- James L. Brooks, Laurence Mark, Richard Sakai and Cameron Crowe, Producers

Secrets & Lies -- Simon Channing-Williams, Producer

Shine -- Jane Scott, Producer

1997 (70th)

BEST PICTURE

As Good As It Gets -- James L. Brooks, Bridget Johnson and Kristi Zea, Producers

The Full Monty -- Uberto Pasolini, Producer

Good Will Hunting -- Lawrence Bender, Producer

L.A. Confidential -- Arnon Milchan, Curtis Hanson and Michael Nathanson, Producers

Titanic -- James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers

1998 (71st)

BEST PICTURE

Elizabeth -- Alison Owen, Eric Fellner and Tim Bevan, Producers

Life Is Beautiful -- Elda Ferri and Gianluigi Braschi, Producers

Saving Private Ryan -- Steven Spielberg, Ian Bryce, Mark Gordon and Gary Levinsohn, Producers

Shakespeare in Love -- David Parfitt, Donna Gigliotti, Harvey Weinstein, Edward Zwick and Marc Norman, Producers

The Thin Red Line -- Robert Michael Geisler, John Roberdeau and Grant Hill, Producers

1999 (72nd)

BEST PICTURE

American Beauty -- Bruce Cohen and Dan Jinks, Producers

The Cider House Rules -- Richard N. Gladstein, Producer

The Green Mile -- David Valdes and Frank Darabont, Producers

The Insider -- Michael Mann and Pieter Jan Brugge, Producers

The Sixth Sense -- Frank Marshall, Kathleen Kennedy and Barry Mendel, Producers

2000 (73rd)

BEST PICTURE

Chocolat -- David Brown, Kit Golden and Leslie Holleran, Producers

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon -- Bill Kong, Hsu Li Kong and Ang Lee, Producers

Erin Brockovich -- Danny DeVito, Michael Shamberg and Stacey Sher, Producers

Gladiator -- Douglas Wick, David Franzoni and Branko Lustig, Producers

Traffic -- Edward Zwick, Marshall Herskovitz and Laura Bickford, Producers

2001 (74th)

BEST PICTURE

A Beautiful Mind -- Brian Grazer and Ron Howard, Producers

Gosford Park -- Robert Altman, Bob Balaban and David Levy, Producers

In the Bedroom -- Graham Leader, Ross Katz and Todd Field, Producers

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring -- Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Barrie M. Osborne, Producers

Moulin Rouge -- Martin Brown, Baz Luhrmann and Fred Baron, Producers

2002 (75th)

BEST PICTURE

Chicago -- Martin Richards, Producer

Gangs of New York -- Alberto Grimaldi and Harvey Weinstein, Producers

The Hours -- Scott Rudin and Robert Fox, Producers

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -- Barrie M. Osborne, Fran Walsh and Peter Jackson, Producers

The Pianist -- Roman Polanski, Robert Benmussa and Alain Sarde, Producers

2003 (76th)

BEST PICTURE

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King -- Barrie M. Osborne, Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, Producers

Lost in Translation -- Ross Katz and Sofia Coppola, Producers

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World -- Samuel Goldwyn, Jr., Peter Weir and Duncan Henderson, Producers

Mystic River -- Robert Lorenz, Judie G. Hoyt and Clint Eastwood, Producers

Seabiscuit -- Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall and Gary Ross, Producers

2004 (77th)

BEST PICTURE

The Aviator -- Michael Mann and Graham King, Producers

Finding Neverland -- Richard N. Gladstein and Nellie Bellflower, Producers

Million Dollar Baby -- Clint Eastwood, Albert S. Ruddy and Tom Rosenberg, Producers

Ray -- Taylor Hackford, Stuart Benjamin and Howard Baldwin, Producers

Sideways -- Michael London, Producer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
I couldn't believe how much better Gangs of NY was the second time I saw it, maybe a couple months ago.  And I liked it the first time.  The exact opposite of what happens with many nominated movies.

Read the book. The movie takes place in about 15 pages in the book.

Browsing that list, there have been some relatively weak nominations for Best Picture from 2000 onward. Atleast one undeserving film every year. 2005 easily had the most depth since 1998; if you consider every movie within the category to have a legitimate chance of winning the Oscar. Of course the odds were heavily in favor of BBM and Crash, but if any one of the nominations took the award, it would have been understandable.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
Browsing that list, there have been some relatively weak nominations for Best Picture from 2000 onward. Atleast one undeserving film every year. 2005 easily had the most depth since 1998; if you consider every movie within the category to have a legitimate chance of winning the Oscar. Of course the odds were heavily in favor of BBM and Crash, but if any one of the nominations took the award, it would have been understandable.

just because there is one weak film nominated, doesnt discount the quality of the other films. 2004 had an extremely good group of films as well.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
1997 (70th)

BEST PICTURE

As Good As It Gets -- James L. Brooks, Bridget Johnson and Kristi Zea, Producers

The Full Monty -- Uberto Pasolini, Producer

Good Will Hunting -- Lawrence Bender, Producer

L.A. Confidential -- Arnon Milchan, Curtis Hanson and Michael Nathanson, Producers

Titanic -- James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers

Still boggles my mind that Titanic won an Oscar for best Picture. I haven't seen L.A. Confidential or The Full Monty but Good Will Hunting>>>>>>>>>>>>Titanic.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
Still boggles my mind that Titanic won an Oscar for best Picture.  I haven't seen L.A. Confidential or The Full Monty but Good Will Hunting>>>>>>>>>>>>Titanic.

LA Confidential>>>>>>Titanic.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
heres the best picture nominees for roughly the last 10 years.  No good movies in there huh?? :banghead

10 years = deliberate exaggeration for effect.

I'm pretty sure that everyone else gets it except for you and maybe White Sox Josh or somebody. :lol:

Seriously though, stay in school.

And besides, 90 to 95% of those movies suck hard.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
Still boggles my mind that Titanic won an Oscar for best Picture.  I haven't seen L.A. Confidential or The Full Monty but Good Will Hunting>>>>>>>>>>>>Titanic.

Good Will Hunting is not a good movie. Robin Williams is pretty good, and I like the "Do you like apples?" line, but the acting, overall, is terrible and the dialogue is worse. Worse, still, is that two guys from Boston can't do a passable Boston accent.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
10 years = deliberate exaggeration for effect. 

I'm pretty sure that everyone else gets it except for you and maybe White Sox Josh or somebody.  :lol:

Seriously though, stay in school.

And besides, 90 to 95% of those movies suck hard.

Riiiiiiight. Do you find it hard to ever admit that you hadnt taken into account the facts? There are many great movies in the last 10 years, just as good if not better than the two you listed. Maybe you should try watching something other than TNT and TBS for a chance.

And the stay in school comment? :lol: I wish I was still in school, the real world doesnt quite allow as many naps.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
Good Will Hunting is not a good movie.  Robin Williams is pretty good, and I like the "Do you like apples?" line, but the acting, overall, is terrible and the dialogue is worse.  Worse, still, is that two guys from Boston can't do a passable Boston accent.

Agreed, not a big fan. I dont really like much that those two assclowns are in.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
You liked titanic?

no, just wondered why you thought it was so bad. Im sure my reasoning is different. I liked the effects and some of the acting was ok. But I thought that any film trying to call itself titanic, should have focused more on the tragedy itself, and I hate DiCaprio.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
Riiiiiiight.  Do you find it hard to ever admit that you hadnt taken into account the facts? 

What facts? This is all opinionated, correct? :huh:

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
And the stay in school comment?  :lol:  I wish I was still in school, the real world doesnt quite allow as many naps.

Fine. Go back to school, then.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
no, just wondered why you thought it was so bad.  Im sure my reasoning is different.  I liked the effects and some of the acting was ok.  But I thought that any film trying to call itself titanic, should have focused more on the tragedy itself, and I hate DiCaprio.

I thought it was wayyy overrated. One of those movies that kinda got on my nerves...Didn't that old lady get an undeserved nomination? Just about all of the actors and acting seemed ridiculous to me.

The part where someone falls and hits a propeller was decent.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
I thought it was wayyy overrated.  One of those movies that kinda got on my nerves...Didn't that old lady get an undeserved nomination?  Just about all of the actors and acting seemed ridiculous to me.

The part where someone falls and hits a propeller was decent.

Agreed. I thought some of the story line was over done. The only real quality part of the movie was when it started to sink.

So loooking through some of the Best Picture movies, the Green Mile is one of the few that actually makes me sad.

What year would Hotel Rwanda have been? I also thought that was one of the better movies I've ever seen.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
So loooking through some of the Best Picture movies, the Green Mile is one of the few that actually makes me sad.

What year would Hotel Rwanda have been? I also thought that was one of the better movies I've ever seen.

I thought million dollar baby was very sad as well.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
why?

Well to be completely honest it bored the hell out of me, I can't even sit through the damn thing, and I would never watch it again. I don't have trouble with long movies at all yet this one dragged on forever to me. And there is nothing special about it at all. The plot was not original at all. Poor boy meets rich girl and they fall in love is done all the time and in this case is done rather poorly. In the case of the Titanic at that point in time not exactly very realistic on top of that. I'm not a critic I don't watch movies to complain about little details but I do expect to either enjoy movies I got to or at least be compelled by them and Titanic did neither. Plus the dialogue was pretty bad at parts. This doesn't always bother me but "I'm the king of the world" is about as bad as it gets.

I know a lot of people like this movie and I don't have a problem with that. There are movies I like that people absolutely hate, but for my money Titanic was a C type picture at best.