Oscar's Thread.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
Good Will Hunting is not a good movie.  Robin Williams is pretty good, and I like the "Do you like apples?" line, but the acting, overall, is terrible and the dialogue is worse.  Worse, still, is that two guys from Boston can't do a passable Boston accent.

I'm not a huge fan of Good Will Hunting, although I do like it. But I can't even watch Titanic straight through. Agree with whoever said it was a weak year for nominees because I didn't think As Good as it Gets was really a great film either.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
So loooking through some of the Best Picture movies, the Green Mile is one of the few that actually makes me sad.

What year would Hotel Rwanda have been? I also thought that was one of the better movies I've ever seen.

Green Mile is a great movie.

Hotel Rwanda would have been 2004 I believe.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
^^^

I just saw that last week.  Definitely a sad one.

I bought the DVD and Jim watched it and said it was good.. but the begining was boring to me and I fell asleep. I suppose I could put on a pot of coffee and give it another chance...

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
I bought the DVD and Jim watched it and said it was good.. but the begining was boring to me and I fell asleep. I suppose I could put on a pot of coffee and give it another chance...

The beginning is somewhat slow, but the movie really is pretty decent.

There are alot of movies that I thought were long and boring at first, but really just needed a little warm-up.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)
I'm not a huge fan of Good Will Hunting, although I do like it.  But I can't even watch Titanic straight through.  Agree with whoever said it was a weak year for nominees because I didn't think As Good as it Gets was really a great film either.

There really arent many actresses I hate more than Hellen Hunt.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
just because there is one weak film nominated, doesnt discount the quality of the other films.  2004 had an extremely good group of films as well.

No, but it so happens the years I indicated happened to have one undeserving film, perhaps one excellent film, and the rest were good--but not worthy of winning best picture.

Personally, I don't agree with you on 2004. I realize many wine conoisseurs consider Sideways the epitome of comedy, but best picture? Aviator wasn't appealing to me, Finding Netherland was a decent film, Ray is incredibly overrated, Million Dollar Baby was excellent and deserved it's recognition.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
No, but it so happens the years I indicated happened to have one undeserving film, perhaps one excellent film, and the rest were good--but not worthy of winning best picture.

Personally, I don't agree with you on 2004. I realize many wine  conoisseurs consider Sideways the epitome of comedy, but best picture? Aviator wasn't appealing to me, Finding Netherland was a decent film, Ray is incredibly overrated, Million Dollar Baby was excellent and deserved it's recognition.

sideways had great cinematography, dialogue, and took on characters i can honestly say i haven't seen explored much in cinema. The ever growing wine yuppy in a midlife crisis...brilliant!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
I thought million dollar baby was very sad as well.

I have seen the same ending in three movies in the last week... it is pissing me off because i can only remember the title to two of them at the moment.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
I like hip-hop music sometimes.

I liked "Lose Yourself" quite a bit, but that 3-6 Mafia song sucked.

The "Crash" lady was ripped off.

I lost the one small amount of respect I had for the Oscars when they awarded 'It's hard out here for a pimp" best song.

You know it's hard out here for a pimp

When he tryin to get this money for the rent

For the Cadillacs and gas money spent

Because a whole lot of b****es talkin s***

Will have a whole lot of b****es talkin s***

Deep

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
Stewart did a nice job as the host and i thought it was funny how they said three  6 mafias real and nicknames when they announced them.

I think he thought the whole awarding the mafia thing was ridiculous. His best line was: As of right now, Martin Scorsese, ZERO Oscars, Mafia ONE.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)

Personally, I don't agree with you on 2004. I realize many wine  conoisseurs consider Sideways the epitome of comedy, but best picture? Aviator wasn't appealing to me, Finding Netherland was a decent film, Ray is incredibly overrated, Million Dollar Baby was excellent and deserved it's recognition.

ray overrated? please explain that logic to me.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
Probably the most overrated film, after Crash.

You are definitely in the minority when it comes to 'Crash'. You've been bashing it for some time now and I rarely hear anyone who says they didn't like it.

You are definitely in the minority when it comes to 'Crash'. You've been bashing it for some time now and I rarely hear anyone who says they didn't like it.

[/quote

Well obviously I'm in the minority, it won best picture lol. and that's fine with me.

I didn't say I didn't enjoy it, it's just overrated.

I think it appeals mostly to people who have their head in the sand about racial issues in this country.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
ray overrated?  please explain that logic to me.

Simple. Aside from Foxx's performance, which he rightfully deserved, I didn't enjoy the movie. What, are you expecting a complex intepretation of the emotions evicted through Ray's troubling life?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
Simple. Aside from Foxx's performance, which he rightfully deserved, I didn't enjoy the movie. What, are you expecting a complex intepretation of the emotions evicted through Ray's troubling life?

I have to disagree. I think alot of the story was well written and portrayed, and Jamie Foxx really brought the whole package together.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)

i guess i just see a difference between not liking a film and saying that it's overrated in general... in any case, personally i loved the film. it served its purpose as a biopic and to expect anything else from it would be dumb. you dont think it was worthy of the best picture nomination?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
i guess i just see a difference between not liking a film and saying that it's overrated in general... in any case, personally i loved the film.  it served its purpose as a biopic and to expect anything else from it would be dumb.  you dont think it was worthy of the best picture nomination?

Of course there's a difference. For me, personally, I didn't like the film--thus, for the praise it has received, I believe it's overrated.

I didn't expect anything besides a portrayal of Ray Charles life. I simply didn't enjoy the film. If I have to spend another couple posts explaining why I dislike the movie, and why I believe it's overrated, I'm going to jump off a building. This is the most time I'll devote to that movie.

Was it worthy of best picture nomination? When you put Ray besides other movies created in 2004, it was. Sideways would have been removed in place of Hotel Rwanda if it were my decision.