Lefties Boone Logan & Heath Phillips to get a shot

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Logan, Phillips might get looks

Green prospects draw attention with bullpen spot available

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The short personal bio of Boone Logan can be found on Page 369 of the 2006 White Sox Media Guide, back with the rest of the organization's Minor Leaguers.

On Sunday morning, the 6-foot-5 left-hander gave himself an opportunity to move up 100 pages or so for next year. During a 'B' game on the back fields of the Kino Sports Complex, Logan pitched 1 1/3 perfect innings. That effort was made even more impressive by the fact that he struck out Rob Mackowiak looking and Jim Thome swinging, finishing with three strikeouts in four batters faced.

With the eight White Sox left-handed relievers competing for one or two bullpen spots having combined for an 0-2 record and 8.18 ERA entering Sunday's game, the team was not ruling out Logan getting a shot at the Major League opening. It's clearly a long shot, with the 21-year-old Texas native never really having pitched above Great Falls in the Advanced Rookie Pioneer League.

But it's certainly not an option that is completely out of the question. Pitching coach Don Cooper said a few Minor Leaguers could be joining the White Sox in Tempe against Anaheim on Wednesday, including Logan and fellow left-hander Heath Phillips, who also struck out three in his two scoreless innings Sunday morning.

"We can see what they look like and give them a little experience," Cooper said of the young hurlers temporarily joining the White Sox. "Yeah, we've been impressed with all of those kids."

"Because you are somewhat protected in this role, there's an opportunity for one of the young guys to step up," added White Sox general manager Ken Williams, who termed Logan's effort Sunday as "interesting." "A lot of things have to be taken into consideration. We will not take a young kid just because of our need. We'll wait and let them get more seasoned."

Logan was a 20th-round selection in the 2002 First-Year Player Draft and had fairly uninspiring numbers during his first two seasons at Great Falls, when he split time between the starting rotation and the bullpen. After dropping down his arm angle to more of a three-quarters slot, Logan's ERA fell to 3.31 in 21 games for Great Falls in 2005, with 29 strikeouts and four walks in 35 1/3 innings. Logan also appeared in four games for Class A Winston-Salem.

Sunday's effort featured Logan in command of three pitches, including a 3-2 slider to fan Mackowiak. While his trip to the Major League side of camp is more about future experience, a couple of strong efforts could put his name into the open competition.

"He threw a lot of strikes, which is the main thing as a young kid," Mackowiak said of Logan. "Make sure you pound the zone and get ahead of the hitters."

"Hey, everything is up for grabs," Cooper added. "Nobody is jumping up, so we will look in-house here, down below."

I've long been a fan of Heath Phillips and I think he's better than all of those turds the Sox signed during FA. Our best chance would be from within (if we aren't going to trade) cause those other puds were out there for a reason.

Not as familiar with Boone. Logan's supposed to have a pretty good arm and a good build, but I don't know much about his repetoire.

I've long been a fan of Heath Phillips and I think he's better than all of those turds the Sox signed during FA.  Our best chance would be from within (if we aren't going to trade) cause those other puds were out there for a reason. 

Not as familiar with Boone. Logan's supposed to have a pretty good arm and a good build, but I don't know much about his repetoire.

Boone Logan's minor league stats

loganb.jpg

I'm sorry but Heath Phillips doesn't have the stuff that half the guys we brought in have. I am not saying he is not worth considering, but Guillen is realistically only saying this to motivate the guys they have in camp now. One of the eight guys is going to win the job in the bullpen or they aren't going to take a second lefty. It's as simple as that.

QUOTE(SouthSide2004 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 01:43 AM)
I'm sorry but Heath Phillips doesn't have the stuff that half the guys we brought in have.  I am not saying he is not worth considering, but Guillen is realistically only saying this to motivate the guys they have in camp now.  One of the eight guys is going to win the job in the bullpen or they aren't going to take a second lefty.  It's as simple as that.

Its not about "stuff". Its about getting guys out. period.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 01:46 AM)
Wouldn't Fabio Castro be interesting right about now?

can someone help me....did we completley lose the rights to castro? if he doesnt make the big league roster i believe he must return to the white sox, correct? or did we do one of those weird loopholes where we actually make a transaction and completely give him up? anyone know?

EDIT: NVM i found it, he was selected by the royals who then traded him to the rangers, which means he cannot be returned to the white sox, i believe

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
can someone help me....did we completley lose the rights to castro? if he doesnt make the big league roster i believe he must return to the white sox, correct? or did we do one of those weird loopholes where we actually make a transaction and completely give him up? anyone know?

EDIT: NVM i found it, he was selected by the royals who then traded him to the rangers, which means he cannot be returned to the white sox, i believe

No, if Castro doesn't make the Rangers 25-man roster, he's offered back to the Sox for $50,000.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 09:31 AM)

If he doesnt make the Rangers 25 man staff, it means the White Sox will have the opportunity to purchase him back for 25k.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
If he doesnt make the Rangers 25 man staff, it means the White Sox will have the opportunity to purchase him back for 25k.

I believe he also has to stay on the Rangers 25 man for the whole year, IIRC.

Quick question. Ozzie has gone on record as saying that noneo f the leftys have been aggressive enough or has impressed him very much. Arnie Munoz ( to the best of my knowledge) has pitched 1 inning so far this spring and struck out 2 guys. I know Munoz has been very spotty during his carrer,, but has flashed some good potential at times in the minors, as well as being decent out of the pen a couple of times in the majors. My question is this. Does Ozzie have something against Munoz, or has he pre-determined that he just cant help the big club?

QUOTE(LEXNLIV @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
Quick question.                                                                                            Ozzie has gone on record as saying that noneo f the leftys have been aggressive enough or has impressed him very much.  Arnie Munoz ( to the best of my knowledge) has pitched 1 inning so far this spring and struck out 2 guys.  I know Munoz has been very spotty during his carrer,, but has flashed some good potential at times in the minors, as well as being decent out of the pen a couple of times in the majors.  My question is this.  Does Ozzie have something against Munoz, or has he pre-determined that he just cant help the big club?

I don't think Ozzie has anything against him. He's just wants him to step up and be aggressive. Munoz is gonna get every oppurtunity to prove he can get the job done. If he's not on the team come April, it will be because he sucked.

http://suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-cowley06.html

Solid outing could be big boon for Logan

March 6, 2006

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Cinderella has been discovered in White Sox camp, and this week will be the slipper fitting.

Disappointed with the lack of aggressiveness shown by the eight left-handers vying for a bullpen vacancy in the major-league camp, general manager Ken Williams said Sunday that 21-year-old Boone Logan will get an opportunity to pitch in Cactus League games.

The 6-5, 200-pounder earned that opportunity with a lights-out performance in an intrasquad B-game Sunday morning. Logan, who is in the Sox' minor-league camp, came in for one inning and fanned Donny Lucy, got Jerry Owens to pop out and sat Rob Mackowiak down on a called third strike.

His stuff was so impressive that the Sox kept him on the mound to face one more hitter that inning in Jim Thome. Thome went down swinging.

After the game, Thome raved to manager Ozzie Guillen about Logan's performance. "He's got a real good arm,'' Thome said. "His angle is really good.''

Logan, a 20th-round pick in the 2002 draft, had a turning point last season when the Sox lowered his arm angle. The result was a 1-1 record with a 3.54 ERA between Rookie League Great Falls and Class A Winston-Salem.

While he still is a long shot at best to make the big-league roster, Williams wasn't ruling anything out.

"It's an open competition,'' Williams said. "Because you are somewhat protected in this role, there's an opportunity for one of the young guys to step up.''

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
Smokescreen.

This left-handed "pitching" competition has been an absolute crock.

Unless one of these "pitchers" shows they can consistently get out major-league hitters, they have no place on a defending World Championship roster.

And neither did Kevin Walker last season, but Ozzie really wants to have two lefties in the bullpen. You're right though, I don't want any pitchers who aren't MLB caliber on the roster just cause they throw lefty.