Oscar snub?

EvilMonkey

They nominate a movie that glamorizes suicied bombers for an award, but fail to mention Theo Van gogh in the 'who died this year' list, even though he died for his art. Could it be bacause he was killed by a Muslim lunitic? I guess they can't be both heros and killers in the eyes of Hollywood.

Of course, Brokeback Mountain winning stuff just as a political statement because of the fact it's about gay cowboys is a snub to all other movies.

However, I was encouraged Reese Witherspoon won for "Walk the Line". She deserved it as she is a great and talented actress, and that was a GREAT movie.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 10:26 PM)
They nominate a movie that glamorizes suicied bombers for an award, but fail to mention Theo Van gogh in the 'who died this year' list, even though he died for his art.  Could it be bacause he was killed by a Muslim lunitic?  I guess they can't be both heros and killers in the eyes of Hollywood.

Did you even see Munich?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:27 PM)
Of course, Brokeback Mountain winning stuff just as a political statement because of the fact it's about gay cowboys is a snub to all other movies.

Did you see the movie? Just because a movie has gay characters doesn't mean it's guaranteed to win some oscars. Maybe it was nominated for so many because it was a well made film?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
Did you see the movie?  Just because a movie has gay characters doesn't mean it's guaranteed to win some oscars.  Maybe it was nominated for so many because it was a well made film?

I saw the movie, and if it wasn't about 2 gay cowboys, it doesn't win Oscars. I'm not homophobic or anti gay or anything like that (in fact, gay marriage should be legal). But I hate the fact that movies win Oscars simply because of the overtones of the plot, and not the quality of the movie.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
I saw the movie, and if it wasn't about 2 gay cowboys, it doesn't win Oscars.  I'm not homophobic or anti gay or anything like that (in fact, gay marriage should be legal).  But I hate the fact that movies win Oscars simply because of the overtones of the plot, and not the quality of the movie.

So the acting sucked, the camera work was bad, the dialogue was shoddy, etc?

There wasn't a thing worth complimenting in this movie? The entire academy would have nominated it for several awards even if the main stars were Steven Seegal and Louie Anderson and it was directed by Jerry Bruckheimer?

Edit: I guess I will start working on a sequel. I'll get several oscar nominations based on your theory. All I need is a story about gay cowboys and I'm guaranteed

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
So the acting sucked, the camera work was bad, the dialogue was shoddy, etc?

There wasn't a thing worth complimenting in this movie?  The entire academy would have nominated it for several awards even if the main stars were Steven Seegal and Louie Anderson and it was directed by Jerry Bruckheimer?

Edit:  I guess I will start working on a sequel.  I'll get several oscar nominations based on your theory.  All I need is a story about gay cowboys and I'm guaranteed

It wasn't a HORRIBLE movie, but it was a lock for Oscars based on the plotline if it was ANY good at all. I am not going to argue since you clearly disagree, but the Oscars have a history of this crap.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
It wasn't a HORRIBLE movie, but it was a lock for Oscars based on the plotline if it was ANY good at all.  I am not going to argue since you clearly disagree, but the Oscars have a history of this crap.

Care to provide some examples?

Edit: And I haven't seen Brokeback so I have no idea if it is worthy of a nomination but I doubt it got one just because of its subject.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
Care to provide some examples?

Edit: And I haven't seen Brokeback so I have no idea if it is worthy of a nomination but I doubt it got one just because of its subject.

Ummmm, d'uh, Gladiator, Chicago and the English Patient. :lol:

It's just a bunch of crap that Coulter and Krauthhammer want you to think.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:38 AM)
I saw the movie, and if it wasn't about 2 gay cowboys, it doesn't win Oscars.  I'm not homophobic or anti gay or anything like that (in fact, gay marriage should be legal).  But I hate the fact that movies win Oscars simply because of the overtones of the plot, and not the quality of the movie.

Because all "gay" movies win Oscars?

To Wong Foo, Pricilla Queen of the Desert, But I'm a cheerleader, the birdcage, In & Out, etc. . .

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
Don't forget Boat Trip!

Oh! And Rent.

Plus, if it was really a gay agenda Bette Midler would totally have an Oscar right now.

And Bea Arthur.