White Sox Make 9 Roster Moves...

bjm676

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

White Sox make nine roster moves

White Sox Public Relations

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Prior to Tuesday's spring training game vs. Oakland, the Chicago White Sox made the following nine roster moves:

LHP Rusty Tucker was optioned to Class AAA Charlotte;

LHP Chad Bentz, OF Ben Grieve, INF Tim Hummel, C Carlos Lee, C Donny Lucy, LHP Corwin Malone, LHP Stephen Randolph and INF Jorge Velandia and were reassigned to minor-league camp.

With the moves, the White Sox have 45 players remaining in camp: 21 pitchers, four catchers, 13 infielders and seven outfielders.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)
TUCSON, Ariz. -- Prior to Tuesday's spring training game vs. Oakland, the Chicago

LHP Rusty Tucker was optioned to Class AAA Charlotte;

LHP Chad Bentz, LHP Corwin Malone, LHP Stephen Randolph

Well, that's 4 down.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
I think they told Ben Grieve to go butcher right field for Charlotte.  Nice to see Bentz gone.  He was brutal.  Hopefully, Rusty Tucker does well with Charlotte.

Grieve looked downright lost in RF during the 3/4 game I saw. And worse, he looked like he just didn't care much.

Grieve looked downright lost in RF during the 3/4 game I saw.  And worse, he looked like he just didn't care much.

Good catch, I noticed that too. He was loafing around like he didn't even want to try to win the last outfield spot. Maybe he knew that he was headed for Charlotte regardless of his Spring Training results.

I thought they would give Grieve a better look. He does look like he is trying to shorten his swing. He didn't look good in the OF, but not many do in March in Arizona, and Grieve has never been a very good fielder.

Grieve can hit but if he can't play the outfield he's worthless to us. Borchard is a much better defender and can even play some CF.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
I thought they would give Grieve a better look. He does look like he is trying to shorten his swing. He didn't look good in the OF, but not many do in March in Arizona, and Grieve has never been a very good fielder.

I think he was in solely to keep Charlotte happy. Charlotte has been terrible in the W/L department the past few years and while that may not be a big deal to Sox fans, it is a big deal to the Knights and there attendance.

I don't think they ever had any plans of Grieve making the roster.

I think he was in solely to keep Charlotte happy.  Charlotte has been terrible in the W/L department the past few years and while that may not be a big deal to Sox fans, it is a big deal to the Knights and there attendance. 

Yep, there was a Tribune article on this...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...ack=1&cset=true

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
I think he was in solely to keep Charlotte happy.  Charlotte has been terrible in the W/L department the past few years and while that may not be a big deal to Sox fans, it is a big deal to the Knights and there attendance. 

Hence Ruben Rivera and Bucky Jacobson. Maybe you are right about Grieve, but it wasn't that long ago he was a damn good hitter. You would think he would at least get to go through most of the spring with the big league club.

White Sox Cut Roster To 45

By Jason Gage

Soxtalk.com

March 7, 2006

Prior to playing the A’s on Tuesday, The White Sox dropped nine players from there spring training roster, bringing it to 45. LHP Rusty Tucker was sent to AAA Charlotte while LHP Chad Bentz, OF Ben Grieve, INF Tim Hummel, C Carlos Lee, LHP Corwin Malone, LHP Stephen Randolph and INF Jorge Velandia were reassigned to minor league camp...MORE

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
Grieve looked downright lost in RF during the 3/4 game I saw.  And worse, he looked like he just didn't care much.

I heard an interview with him on the Score (I think) and he did not convey the attitude of a guy looking to make the Sox. Without actually saying it, he basically acknowledged he wanted to play himself into shape and hopefully get a look somewhere in the majors. I was wondering why the Sox would sign a guy like that. I would sooner call Minnie Minoso for another decade under his belt.

I heard an interview with him on the Score (I think) and he did not convey the attitude of a guy looking to make the Sox. Without actually saying it, he basically acknowledged he wanted to play himself into shape and hopefully get a look somewhere in the majors. I was wondering why the Sox would sign a guy like that. I would sooner call Minnie Minoso for another decade under his belt.

They signed Grieve to help the Charlotte Knights like Chisoxfn said. They are sick of the Knights being perennial losers.

Edited by SSH2005