OAK vs. CHI Mar. 7th 3:05 ET

hi8is

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
Ummm, is there a chance Sweeney could make this team?

I think even if he hit .800 with 15 homers this spring, the Sox should send him back to AA and let the kid dominate for a season. This is the one guy I have always liked, even with the lack of power thus far. He can hit and he can throw. I think he will develop decent power.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But here's the other side of that token...for the same reason we might want to keep Dye...other teams might be willing to give up something of value for him, especially if he has another healthy season this year.  Because he's cheap in 07, if Sweeney has a great year at AAA...Dye could bring us something else fairly useful.  There are teams who would happily trade for a right handed bat who plays decent outfield defense and hits 30 home runs a year, if he does so again this year.  You won't get King Felix, but you can get something useful.

I agree with you. I just don't think that Ryan Sweeney will be with the Sox until he shows some power in the minors and that could take a couple of seasons. He's only 21 years old afterall.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
I definately think that our 2008 opening day outfield will be:

LF  Jerry Owens

CF  Brian Anderson

RF  Ryan Sweeney

I would bet one... and likely two of those three will not be in our starting outfield in 2008. That would easily be the least productive outfield in the majors... even worse than we were last year which was quite bad.

By 2008 we will have someone in the outfield via trade or free agency.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
I agree with you.  I just don't think that Ryan Sweeney will be with the Sox until he shows some power in the minors and that could take a couple of seasons.  He's only 21 years old afterall.

So, like I said...if Sweeney were to hit 20-30 home runs in AAA this year...would you want him on next year's team?

I would bet one... and likely two of those three will not be in our starting outfield in 2008. That would easily be the least productive outfield in the majors... even worse than we were last year which was quite bad.

By 2008 we will have someone in the outfield via trade or free agency.

If Sweeney develops 20-25 HR power as has been projected and Anderson hits 15-20 homers like he's supposed to, how would that be so much less productive than Podsednik, Rowand, and Dye? Like you said, our outfield productive was weak last season (44 HR's).

So, like I said...if Sweeney were to hit 20-30 home runs in AAA this year...would you want him on next year's team?

Maybe, but then we would need to trade Dye. Sweeney's position is RF so he should be starting there when ready, not on the team as a fourth outfielder.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
I think even if he hit .800 with 15 homers this spring, the Sox should send him back to AA and let the kid dominate for a season. This is the one guy I have always liked, even with the lack of power thus far. He can hit and he can throw. I think he will develop decent power.

I expect alot of improvement from Sweeney this year. His swing was messed up last season and his wrists were not right. I fully expect him to hit over .300 with around 15-20 hr's

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
If Sweeney develops 20-25 HR power as has been projected and Anderson hits 15-20 homers like he's supposed to, how would that be so much less productive than Podsednik, Rowand, and Dye?  Like you said, our outfield productive was weak last season (44 HR's).

I do not see sweeney developing 20-25 homerun power anytime soon. You do not go from hitting one in a full season to hitting that many no matter how f***ed up your wrists are/were. Sure, he has two at this point... but realistically you cannot expect him to keep this up. He is just a mediocore fielder and has mediocore speed/baserunner from mostly everything i have read. While he is a good prospect i do not consider him a lock to make the big leagues... let alone be a start in just two full seasons from now.

Jerry owens is a fourth outfielder that cannot play center... don't you want a fourth outfielder to play all three positions... and do it well?

I also do not consider it a lock for anderson to outproduce rowands season from last year this year. Yes, i do know how bad rowands season was last year.

I do not see sweeney developing 20-25 homerun power anytime soon. You do not go from hitting one in a full season to hitting that many no matter how f***ed up your wrists are/were. Sure, he has two at this point... but realistically you cannot expect him to keep this up. He is just a mediocore fielder and has mediocore speed/baserunner from mostly everything i have read. While he is a good prospect i do not consider him a lock to make the big leagues... let alone be a start in just two full seasons from now.

Jerry owens is a fourth outfielder that cannot play center... don't you want a fourth outfielder to play all three positions... and do it well?

I also do not consider it a lock for anderson to outproduce rowands season from last year this year. Yes, i do know how bad rowands season was last year.

I don't know too much about Sweeney but that's not what I've read/heard about him.

I don't see how Owens couldn't do what Podsednik does -- use his speed to get on base with weak singles and steal bases. Ever look at Podsednik's minor league numbers? Owens blows him away.

I thought that we were talking about 2008? Of course Anderson will struggle in 2006. It's his rookie season afterall.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
I thought that we were talking about 2008?  Of course Anderson will struggle in 2006.  It's his rookie season afterall.

I'm still hoping he wont' struggle too much. If he's really ready to come up...then maybe he can be a very nice spark.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)

Robin Ventura hit 3 homers at Birmingham in 454 at bats as a 22 year old. He develop 30+ hr power. Odds are Sweeney won't, but 20-25 is far from a longshot.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)

wow, could you be more negative??

First off, Sweeney is not a mediocre fielder. He is a good fielder with a plus arm. He is expected to produce that much power, and his tinkering of his swing really effected that last year. If you have seen him play, you know why they say he has a major league swing. At age 19 he tore up major league competition in ST.

Owens is a 4th OF'er if you have PODS playing there already. he is basically the same type of player, slap hitter, weak arm, tons of speed. The guy has hit very well in the minors and winter ball. He should project as PODS replacement in LF as well as batting lead off.

Anderson is a rookie this year, Rowand was a vet. Of course it is somewhat far off to expect him to out produce his stats this year. Of course expecting him to be good on defense, and improve on his offense all year is not out of the question. He is supposed to have better tools than Rowand, so I would expect him to be a better player eventually.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Anderson is a rookie this year, Rowand was a vet.  Of course it is somewhat far off to expect him to out produce his stats this year.  Of course expecting him to be good on defense, and improve on his offense all year is not out of the question.  He is supposed to have better tools than Rowand, so I would expect him to be a better player eventually.

I've heard a couple people around here say that Anderson's best projects somewhere in the Torii Hunter range offensively, and maybe defensively too. If he can do what he's done in the minors, he'll be at that level.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
with all due respect (if any) qwerty.... i think you under rate sweeny.

No. I think people overate him. I seriously doubt he hits 20+ homeruns in double a next season... most here seem to think it is a given. Sweeney does not project to be great at anything... most things he is just average. The only reason he has always gotten as much recognition as he has... is he swing... which i have seen labeled as ''perfect''. I don't see him being a starter for the long haul in the majors... hell even three years.

Hope i am wrong about him though.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)
I've heard a couple people around here say that Anderson's best projects somewhere in the Torii Hunter range offensively, and maybe defensively too.  If he can do what he's done in the minors, he'll be at that level.

Rowand wasnt even supposed to be a starter, he was basically a fill in player. Anderson was a first pick and has been steadily rising in the minors since he was drafted. The guy is a blue chipper.