Was Nessy really an elephant?

southsider2k5

That is an interesting theory for one point in time. But Nessie sightings have been going on since biblical times according to National Geographic and Discovery Channel, and I dont think Asian elephants were crisscrossing the UK with a circus at that time. There are many explanations for Nessie though, Seals, schools of eels, driftwood, hoaxes, etc. An Elephant could have fed many myths for a period of time. The longer we go without any proof or more sightings, the more likely that this is nothing though.

Its kind of sad to see cryptozoology proved wrong time and time again by the advancement of modern day science. Its like they are lifting any sort of "magic" from reality.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
Its kind of sad to see cryptozoology proved wrong time and time again by the advancement of modern day science.  Its like they are lifting any sort of "magic" from reality.

Separating "magic" from reality is sad? Sounds like you could use som Theodoric of York.

theodoric.jpg

You know, medicine is not an exact science, but we are learning all the time. Why, just fifty years ago, they thought a disease like your daughter's was caused by demonic possession or witchcraft. But nowadays we know that Isabelle is suffering from an imbalance of bodily humors, perhaps caused by a toad or a small dwarf living in her stomach.

:bang

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
Separating "magic" from reality is sad?  Sounds like you could use som Theodoric of York.

theodoric.jpg

:bang

Well, to me it is kind of exciting to think that it is possible that there is another humanoid race existing close to where we are(Bigfoot, Yeti, etc.), or a species of plesiosaur inhabiting various lakes around the World(Nessie, Champ, Okgeechobee(sp?)), or a species of dinosaur inhabiting the deep jungles of the Congo.

A few times, the myth came true with species like the giant squid finally caught on camera or bodies washing up, and the coelycanth being caught. But for every good story, another three are pretty much dispelled. It just takes a little fun out of it when you realize that these somewhat-possible mysteries when I was a kid are gone, i guess.

Im such a nerd about that kind of stuff anyways, it fascinates me.