White Sox Acquire Infielder Alex Cintron

OfficerKarkovice

WHITE SOX ACQUIRE INFIELDER ALEX CINTRON FROM ARIZONA IN EXCHANGE FOR PITCHER JEFF BAJENARU

TUCSON – The Chicago White Sox have acquired infielder Alex Cintron from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for pitcher Jeff Bajenaru.

Cintron, a 27-year-old switch-hitter, batted .273 (90-330) with 19 doubles, eight home runs and 48 RBI in 122 games with Arizona in 2005. He played in 39 games (31 starts) at shortstop, 32 (18 starts) at third base and 23 (15 starts) at second base.

Cintron also hit .304 (14-46) with three home runs and 12 RBI as a pinch-hitter. He tied for the National League lead among pinch-hitters in home runs, tied for third in RBI and ranked ninth in average.

The 6-foot-1, 205-pound Cintron is a lifetime .279 (398-1,424) hitter with 25 home runs and 152 RBI in 439 games, all with Arizona. During his five major-league seasons, he has played in 280 games at shortstop, 69 at second base and 58 at third.

Cintron is a .313 (125-399) hitter from the right side of the plate and a .266 (273-1,025) hitter from the left side. His best season came in 2003 when he hit .317 (142-448) with 13 home runs and 51 RBI. He played in a career-high 154 games with Arizona in 2004.

A native of Humacao, Puerto Rico, Cintron currently is playing for his country at the inaugural World Baseball Classic. He originally was selected by the Diamondbacks in the 36th round of the 1997 draft.

Bajenaru, who will turn 28 on March 21, spent most of the 2005 season at Class AAA Charlotte, going 4-6 with a 1.41 ERA (11 ER/70.1 IP), 19 saves and 83 strikeouts in 61 relief appearances. The right-hander also pitched in four games with the White Sox, allowing three earned runs in 4.1 IP.

Bajenaru is 16-15 with a 2.42 ERA (70 ER/260.0 IP), 72 saves and 314 strikeouts in 218 career minor-league games, all in relief. In 13 appearances with the Sox, he has gone 0-1 with a 9.24 ERA (13 ER/12.2 IP).

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
Wow, Good trade for us, sad to see Baj go however.

Do we really need Cintron when we already have Mack and Ozuna?

that's what i was thinking, aren't we kinda full on the Utility infielders?

Oh well, guess it can't hurt to have depth in that position.

I think i hear southsider crying.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
Wow, Good trade for us, sad to see Baj go however.

Do we really need Cintron when we already have Mack and Ozuna?

It doesn't hurt to have another versatile infielder. Cintron can play SS a lot better than any of our backups can. In my mind, Baj wasn't going to ever be a factor for the White Sox, so to get a MLB caliber reserve for him is a great deal.

This might mean the end for Gload though.

This is an amazing trade. If this is true, and I see no reason to believe otherwise, Kenny pulled off a Uribe-esq move here.

Bajenaru, despite being Soxtalk's prodigal son, has shown me nothing to believe he can last in the big-leagues, while Cintron, much like a Mackowiak or Ozuna, can slide around the infield and has to be considered one of the better reserves in baseball.

Grade A trade for the White Sox and props go out to all the Soxtalkers that were calling for an acquisition of Alex Cintron--present company included--as early as last off-season.

Put that on the board.

Can someone say 11 pitchers carried?

This trade is pretty good if you are just looking at the players involved, but looking at team needs, I'm sort of confused. Isn't depth at bullpen something thats needed, and aren't we basically full for utility players?

I don't know..

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
This pretty much gets rid of one of Borch and Gload, correct?

How is this going to shake out.....

i would assume that means gload's career with us is over.

Cintron had great stats as a PH last season, and he also had at least 15 starts at 2b, SS, and 3b. This also is more proof that once you're on KW's radar, it's very likely you'll end up on the Sox down the road. We've heard rumors of Cintron for about 3 years now.

I love coming back from class to news of a great trade. It isn't the first time it's happened this offseason.

Baj for Cintron? If Cintron is healthy, this is easily in favor of the Sox.

This also makes me think KW will still trade for another reliever. I don't know why or how, but I think it will happen.