White Sox Acquire Infielder Alex Cintron

OfficerKarkovice

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
Actually, he can play right field and first.

Who's the better choice for back-up firstbaseman?

Actually Gload can't play the outfield, he has proven that. If he's in RF we're in trouble.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
Him too. Do you get the feeling they like him? I sure don't. I think they really want a starting middle infielder.

No, i get the feeling they dont like him at all. I do though, I think he is a good player. The cub fans sure hate him as well.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
No, i get the feeling they dont like him at all.  I do though, I think he is a good player.  The cub fans sure hate him as well.

Yeah, Hairston definitely doesn't seem like he's well-liked in the organization. However, if the Cubs want another middle infielder, I think they'd go after a bigger name than any of the guys we have. Again, I think this was a move used to help our depth, and to allow Mackowiak to be used more in the outfield.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
So you really want to rely on our DH to be the backup at first?

Absolutely, the guy has started at 1B his entire career, why all of a sudden is he only an everyday 1B? He'd be playing there maybe once or twice a week, I'm sure that would be a welcomed change for him to be able to get out on the field on defense.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
Lets see....he's the fastest player on the team, is a good situational hitter, can bunt, and is well-liked in the clubhouse.    Yep.....seems like there's no spot for him.

Fastest if Pods has weights tied to his legs. Stole 2 bases in every 3 attemps, great. Cintron had 12 sacrifice hits couple years ago, I'm just assuming he can bunt. Ozuna would never be selected over Cintron on the depth chart at anything other than LF, which he is horrible at.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
Absolutely, the guy has started at 1B his entire career, why all of a sudden is he only an everyday 1B? He'd be playing there maybe once or twice a week, I'm sure that would be a welcomed change for him to be able to get out on the field on defense.

I'm just thinking that Borchard can't really do anything better than any of the other bench players.

At least Gload can be a useful defensive replacement that allows both Thome and Konerko to stay in the lineup most of the time.

Plus he's at least proven that he can hit major league pitching.

I've got this funny feeling Borchard will be resurrecting his football career this summer but I could be wrong...

Edited by Iwritecode

Soxtalk will never be the same now :P

KW never ceases to surprise all of us.

Good luck to Jeff Bajenaru. I hope he lives up to his potential and prospers in the AZ bullpen.

Me thinks another trade of Gload/Borch (with his good spring) is coming. Just a thought.

I like the trade. We have a very, very solid bench now.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
I'm just thinking that Borchard can't really do anything better than any of the other bench players.

At least Gload can be a useful defensive replacement that allows both Thome and Konerko to stay in the lineup most of the time.

How does Gload allow Thome and Konerko to stay in the lineup more than Borchard? That doesnt even make sense.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)

Borchard can play all 3 OF positions well with a strong arm and decent range. He also has ridiculous power but poor plate discipline. Gload has proven that he can hit, this is somewhat true but he has also proven that he can only play one postion and it happens to be a postion that we have a surplus of very good players at. When it comes to value to the team Borchard wins out over Gload simply because of his defensive ability.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
Borchard can play all 3 OF positions well with a strong arm and decent range. He also has ridiculous power but poor plate discipline. Gload has proven that he can hit, this is somewhat true but he has also proven that he can only play one postion and it happens to be a postion that we have a surplus of very good players at. When it comes to value to the team Borchard wins out over Gload simply because of his defensive ability.

Exactly. And IMO, I hate Gload as a pinch hitter. He is a first pitch swinger, and that is not always the best approach when getting 1 situational at bat.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
How does Gload allow Thome and Konerko to stay in the lineup more than Borchard?  That doesnt even make sense.

If you have to make a defensive substitution and you have Gload and Borchard on the bench and Thome at DH, who are you going to choose?

Get rid of Gload and we'll end up with Ozuna either at first or DH.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
If you have to make a defensive substitution and you have Gload and Borchard on the bench and Thome at DH, who are you going to choose?

Get rid of Gload and we'll end up with Ozuna either at first or DH.

Thome can switch from DH to 1B. Done. Next?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
Thome can switch from DH to 1B.  Done.  Next?

If the Sox are forced to bat again and Konerko was pulled from the game with Thome going to 1B we lose the DH for the rest of the game. I still think this is a worthless arguement, who the hell keeps a player on the bench strickly to be a late-inning defensive replacement at 1B?