White Sox Acquire Infielder Alex Cintron

OfficerKarkovice

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
Thome can switch from DH to 1B.  Done.  Next?

Oh, and im going to quote myself here.

In case you want to rebut this argument with a "Gload is better defensively at 1B than Thome" lets look at their defensive career stats at 1B

Gload .997 Fpct 8.97 RF .817 ZR

Thome .994 Fpct 9.30 RF .823 ZR

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:08 PM)
If the Sox are forced to bat again and Konerko was pulled from the game with Thome going to 1B we lose the DH for the rest of the game. I still think this is a worthless arguement, who the hell keeps a player on the bench strickly to be a late-inning defensive replacement at 1B?

People trying to rationalize keeping Ross Gload.

I like Gload, I was one of the people that wanted him up last year.

However

When we needed a backup first baseman last year more than anything. Ozzie and KW decided to use Timo Perez at one point, Dye at another. Now Ross's injury would keep him from play the OF, however he could still play 1st. He was also hitting at a .350 clip in AAA at the point and we needed offense, yet he still was down in the minors. Now if that doesnt speak volumes on how this is going to go nothing does. Ross and/or Borchard are gone.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:08 PM)
I still think this is a worthless arguement, who the hell keeps a player on the bench strickly to be a late-inning defensive replacement at 1B?

What is Borchard going to be? A late inning defensive replacement for the outfield. Something Ozuna and Mackowiak can easily fill.

Do we really three replacement outfielders? One of which can't hit above the mendoza line?

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
If you have to make a defensive substitution and you have Gload and Borchard on the bench and Thome at DH, who are you going to choose?

Get rid of Gload and we'll end up with Ozuna either at first or DH.

Konerko doesn't require a defensive substitution. Only situation where a 1st base defensive substitution may be warranted is during interleague games in national league parks, when perhaps Thome will occasionally start. No need to fret about several games.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
Konerko doesn't require a defensive substitution. Only situation where a 1st base defensive substitution may be warranted is during interleague games in national league parks, when perhaps Thome will occasionally start. No need to fret about several games.

IIRC, Gload replaced Konerko in the 9th inning of one of the very first games last year. Maybe even the opener.

Made a pretty nice pick to end the game. I'm not entirely sure Konerko could've done the same thing.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
IIRC, Gload replaced Konerko in the 9th inning of one of the very first games last year. Maybe even the opener.

Made a pretty nice pick to end the game. I'm not entirely sure Konerko could've done the same thing.

That's not a good reason to use a bench spot on a player and that play was during the 1st game of the season, there's a damn good chance Konerko would have made that play had he been in there.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
That's not a good reason to use a bench spot on a player and that play was during the 1st game of the season, there's a damn good chance Konerko would have made that play had he been in there.

So what's the reasoning on using the spot on Borchard when we have 2 other guys who can do the same thing and hit when called upon?

I guess it all comes down to what you'd rather have.

3 extra guys that can play firstbase (all of which can also play outfield if needed and pinch hit)

or

3 extra guys that can play outfield (two of which can play infield if needed and pinch hit).

Edited by Iwritecode

(Un)fortunately, Gload has no purpose now. If Konerko gets pulled late in the game for a pinch runner. Mack can be the back up 1B. Plus, he bats left handed (if that means anything). Both things that Gload does right now. Gload is the odd man out.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
So what's the reasoning on using the spot on Borchard when we have 2 other guys who can do the same thing and hit when called upon?

Mack is going to be starting a lot this year in CF against tough righties and in the infield giving guys days off, Ozuna is going to be used primarily as a pinch runner and at times a pinch hitter for infielders seeing how he's a pathetic LF. That leaves a need for a guy who can play solid defense at all OF positions and add a little offense as well. Borchard can play 3 postions all of them well and those positions are more frequently subed for than the one position that Gload plays.

That's the reasoning.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:28 PM)
Mack is going to be starting a lot this year in CF against tough righties and in the infield giving guys days off, Ozuna is going to be used primarily as a pinch runner and at times a pinch hitter for infielders seeing how he's a pathetic LF. That leaves a need for a guy who can play solid defense at all OF positions and add a little offense as well. Borchard can play 3 postions all of them well and those positions are more frequently subed for than the one position that Gload plays.

That's the reasoning.

You know what? I didn't really think about Anderson being in the outfield and being subbed for a lot with Mackowiak. :chair

I'm just glad I don't have to make the decision on who to keep.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)

I guess it all comes down to what you'd rather have.

3 extra guys that can play firstbase (all of which can also play outfield if needed and pinch hit)

or

3 extra guys that can play outfield (two of which can play infield if needed and pinch hit).

Borchard has power no one else on the bench has. And while Ozuna did play the OF a couple times last year, I cringe seeing him out there again this year. Borchard is a solid defensive player who can hit the ball a mile. Thus, I feel he fits a need that Gload does not. One last point on this, if Crede needs to go on the DL this year, Mack is the logical sub at 3B leaving a hole at the 4th OF spot. In that scenario, Borchard becomes the 4th OF. Gload only is a late inning defensive sub since Thome is going to play 1B when PK needs a day off.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
Borchard has power no one else on the bench has.  And while Ozuna did play the OF a couple times last year, I cringe seeing him out there again this year.  Borchard is a solid defensive player who can hit the ball a mile.  Thus, I feel he fits a need that Gload does not.  One last point on this, if Crede needs to go on the DL this year, Mack is the logical sub at 3B leaving a hole at the 4th OF spot.  In that scenario, Borchard becomes the 4th OF.  Gload only is a late inning defensive sub since Thome is going to play 1B when PK needs a day off.

If Crede hits the DL I say Cintron (If he's still on the team) will be the sub, leaving Mack at his intended postion of UTIL and backup/parttime CF.

Here's a thought -

KW is looking ahead to the trade deadline.

I agree that this trade doesn't make any sense give the current roster. The Sox need relief pitching, not more back-ups.

Ozuna and Mack can both play on the left side of the infield. But Mack prefers RF and Ozuna can play just about anywhere.

So...

Maybe, if Mack does well enough, mid-season, you put Dye on the block for some middle relief help. Or Sweeney goes back to Charlotte.

Dye will underperform this year, if he doesn't injure himself first.

QUOTE(easyw @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 06:38 PM)
Here's a thought -

KW is looking ahead to the trade deadline.

I agree that this trade doesn't make any sense give the current roster. The Sox need relief pitching, not more back-ups.

Ozuna and Mack can both play on the left side of the infield. But Mack prefers RF and Ozuna can play just about anywhere.

So...

Maybe, if Mack does well enough, mid-season, you put Dye on the block for some middle relief help. Or Sweeney goes back to Charlotte.

Dye will underperform this year, if he doesn't injure himself first.

i guess they say, "keep your thoughts to yourself" for a reason.

i would be inclinded to say your an asswad... but im a nicer guy to say or emply such a thing.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
This pretty much gets rid of one of Borch and Gload, correct?

How is this going to shake out.....

I have had serious issues with Pablo Ozuna's ability, especially fielding, to be a real good back up infielder. Maybe Pablo, who has been making some errors, will be out? Other than that I might expect to see Ross Gload gone. I think Borchard, who can play more outfield spots, would be the 4th outfielder choice. Konerko and Thome will most likely alternate between 1B and DH.