White Sox Acquire Infielder Alex Cintron

OfficerKarkovice

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
Redandwhite......I'm done with this argument.  Good luck to your beloved Red Sox this year.  I hope we can face them in the playoffs again. :cheers

What are we arguing about? I'm still not even sure. You're the one who started it, so please inform me on what this argument is you're finishing.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
Given what we've seen from him, do you really think he'll be "Solid"?  I think he'll be an improvement over the mess they had last year, but I think "Solid" is probably the best they should hope for from Baj, given how hard we've seen him be hit.  I hope I'm wrong, but he just hasn't proven it to me yet.

By solid I'm talking an ERA in the 4's and I think he can do that. I don't think he'll ever be great, but I think if given a shot he'll spend a considerable amount of time in the back of bullpens at the major league level.

I think it should be noted the last guy I kind of got ticked that we gave up was Majewski and he would be looking real good about right now. I think I was about the only person anywhere dissapointed when he was dealt.

I don't think Baj will be as good as Maj (Maj has better stuff) but Baj will be alright, especially compared to some of the stuff the Dbacks were rolling out.

I am perplexed at how quick the team dumped Munoz.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
I think Alex Gonzalez is a better fit with this Red Sox team than Alex Cintron is.  Gonzalez is a much better defender, possibly the best defensive short stop in the game and when you couple that with an already fabulous defensive infield, and an already potent offense, I think he's not only a better player, but fits better with this Red Sox line-up than Cintron would.

Gonzalez was also had at a similar dollar amount and nothing was given up for him even  if Baj virtually is nothing.

:lol: Are you a writer for the Boston Globe?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
What are we arguing about?  I'm still not even sure.  You're the one who started it, so please inform me on what this argument is you're finishing.

The whole argument we had about why you're on this White Sox site, and how we all feel you're purpose on here is to be the Red Sox apologist. Anyways, there's more important things for my fellow White Sox fans to focus on now.

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITHOUT BAJ!!!

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
The whole argument we had about why you're on this White Sox site, and how we all feel you're purpose on here is to be the Red Sox apologist.  Anyways, there's more important things for my fellow White Sox fans to focus on now.

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITHOUT BAJ!!!

My purpose on soxtalk is to talk White Sox baseball and shoot the s*** with other respectable people. You aren't a respectable person, so you don't fall into this category.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
All questions in regards to why RockRaines and fathom are discussing the Red Sox should be asked towards them, not me.

Thanks.  :)

Because, you come on here and knock the trade that we just made. When in fact, the points that you bring up are horses***. Cintron is just as good a player as your teams starting SS. He is cheaper, younger, and was had for nothing. You came on here just to bash the move for no reason. This is a f***ing pattern with you. If you stop with your Red Sox homerism bulls***, we will stop tearing up your horrible and uninformed posts.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
My purpose on soxtalk is to talk White Sox baseball and shoot the s*** with other respectable people.  You aren't a respectable person, so you don't fall into this category.

Thanks! If you think Manny is a great guy, then this makes me feel better about myself.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
By solid I'm talking an ERA in the 4's and I think he can do that.  I don't think he'll ever be great, but I think if given a shot he'll spend a considerable amount of time in the back of bullpens at the major league level. 

I think it should be noted the last guy I kind of got ticked that we gave up was Majewski and he would be looking real good about right now.  I think I was about the only person anywhere dissapointed when he was dealt.

I don't think Baj will be as good as Maj (Maj has better stuff) but Baj will be alright, especially compared to some of the stuff the Dbacks were rolling out. 

I am perplexed at how quick the team dumped Munoz.

An ERA in the 4's for the NL really isn't that good. Better than what Arizona had last year, but when they're not facing DH's, the numbers should go down quite a bit. If I'm in the NL and want a "Solid" reliever, upper 3's to low 4's. Hell, Latroy Hawkins had an ERA in the high 3's last year for the Cubs, and look what he got.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
Since he wants to ignore the question.  I will post the answer.  If Cintron is such a mediocre player, who makes too much money, what is Alex Gonzalez, the starting SS for the Red Sox?  I say that they are quite even as players, and Cintron makes less money and is younger.

Gonzalez

def .968 fpct 4.53 RF .841 ZR

off .245 .291 .391 .682

Cintron

def .974 fpct 4.33 RF .828 ZR

off .279 .320 .412 .732

It looks like we aquired a reserve player who is better than his own team's starting player, is cheaper, and younger.  And we got him for basically a player who would never make the major league roster.

Oh, and Cintron makes half the amount of money that Gonzalez is making.

If Gonzalez is the best defensive SS in the game, Cintron isnt much far behind.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
Thanks for supplying us with some examples.  :stick

Juan Uribe. Cesar Izturis before he was hurt.

2 years ago: Edgar Renteria. Orlando Cabrera. And I think the Pirates have a good one too.

But you are right...he's in the top few.

im gonna go ahead and take the low road on this one and submit this entire thread as exhibit A on why i hate boston sports fans.

rnw, you instigated this arguement not fathom, and i dont read or post as much as others but fathom has always had my respect as one of the best posters on the site

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
Because, you come on here and knock the trade that we just made.  When in fact, the points that you bring up are horses***.  Cintron is just as good a player as your teams starting SS.  He is cheaper, younger, and was had for nothing.  You came on here just to bash the move for no reason.  This is a f***ing pattern with you.  If you stop with your Red Sox homerism bulls***, we will stop tearing up your horrible and uninformed posts.

Why are we talking about my teams shortstop? Please, refresh my memory.

I never once brought up anything in regards to the Red Sox. You did.

My reasons for why this is not a fleecing and just an above average move were listed in my original post. I think it's a hefty dollar amount for someone of Cintron's caliber at his age, and considering he wasn't necessarily needed, I hate seeing Baj, a favorite of mine, leave this organization.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
If Gonzalez is the best defensive SS in the game, Cintron isnt much far behind.

Rock, you should know as well as all of us that the stat packages we see for defense just aren't up to snuff with the ones we see for offense in terms of evaluating talent...yet. There's only so much you can draw from RF and ZR.

Arguing with redandwhite is like pushing that big button on the wall that says, "Do Not Push."

I've lost sympathy for those that continue arguing with him. Every topic gets spun into a Red Sox lovefest with him and that's all good and fine; but, fellas, ya'll are just throwing fuel into the fire.

I've asked him to at least change his tag to Red Sox Apologist about six months ago; it would at least act as some disclaimer.

I'll say this rnw....I love the Crisp signing for the Red Sox, as I think he's going to keep on getting better. He's a tough out, and seems like a great clubhouse guy. However, I feel the exact opposite about Gonzalez. He has a horrific attitude, and I'm not sure how he'll respond to the Fenway crowd.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
im gonna go ahead and take the low road on this one and submit this entire thread as exhibit A on why i hate boston sports fans.

rnw, you instigated this arguement not fathom, and i dont read or post as much as others but fathom has always had my respect as one of the best posters on the site

Please. Share with us how I instigated this.

:lol:

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)
My reasons for why this is not a fleecing and just an above average move were listed in my original post.  I think it's a hefty dollar amount for someone of Cintron's caliber at his age, and considering he wasn't necessarily needed, I hate seeing Baj, a favorite of mine, leave this organization.

He's 27. Turns 28 in December.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Juan Uribe.  Cesar Izturis before he was hurt. 

2 years ago: Edgar Renteria.  Orlando Cabrera.  And I think the Pirates have a good one too.

But you are right...he's in the top few.

'One of the best' was what I said. Uribe' up there, Izturis' is up there. Cabrera, Renteria, Jack Wilson, Alex Cora... they are all up there.

Good post.