White Sox Acquire Infielder Alex Cintron

OfficerKarkovice

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 06:08 PM)
I'm not saying we give up anything quality for him... Just Joe "lost cause" Borchard... Anderson would still be in AAA if we needed him...

Than why would Wayne Krivsky do that deal, if he could trade Willy Mo Pena or Austin Kearns and possibly get more in return?

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... fine obviously no Griffey love here...

You know whats funny is I was against this trade last year and you guys were then all for it... Now it's the opposite...

Yes obviously Griffey is a step down defensively but it would make us one of the best teams offensively in baseball...

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:11 AM)
Than why would Wayne Krivsky do that deal, if he could trade Willy Mo Pena or Austin Kearns and possibly get more in return?

Because KW can put poison in his coffee and then make them trade Griffey to us and pick up half his salary or we won't give him the antidote...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 06:12 PM)

You know whats funny is I was against this trade last year and you guys were then all for it... Now it's the opposite...

Yes obviously Griffey is a step down defensively but it would make us one of the best teams offensively in baseball...

Would you have rathered to give up Chris Young and other prospects for Griffey Jr. or Young and Vizcaino for Javier Vazquez?

The Griffey thing last season was an overreaction by posters here about the state of our offense. I'm sure now if they looked back on it, they'd think we'd be giving up too much in that deal.

Just imagine this lineup with everyone in it being healthy:

Pods- LF

Gooch- 2B

Thome- DH

Konerko- 1B

Griffey- CF

Dye- RF

AJ- C

Crede- 3B

Uribe- SS

That also leaves us with a bench of

Gload, Mack, Cintron, Ozuna, Widger

Sorry but that lineup right there is enough to just make me want to cream my pants on spot... if healthy thats three 40 HR hitters in the heart of our order... Dye having at least 35 plus... Plus Pods and Gooch having a repeat of last year... There isn't a team in baseball that could match up with us on offense... Maybe not even the Yankees...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
Just imagine this lineup with everyone in it being healthy:

I just can't imagine that Ken Griffey Jr. is ever going to be healthy enough again to justify his contract. And I can't see the Reds dumping him for nothing and also picking up a portion of his salary. And I can't see KW trying that again after the reds screwed him around last year.

I was for a Griffey trade last season when our offense was pathetic with Everett struggling horribly. I didn't care who we would have had to trade for Griffey. I wanted them to win the World Series. Luckily, they won it without making a move other than Geoff Blum. But I still would have only wanted Griffey last season if he was our DH to replace Everett, not replacing Rowand in CF. Things are different now. Thome is our DH and Griffey's contract and injury problems don't make sense for us in CF.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:43 AM)
I was for a Griffey trade last season when our offense was pathetic with Everett struggling horribly.  I didn't care who we would have had to trade for Griffey.  I wanted them to win the World Series.  Luckily, they won it without making a move other than Geoff Blum.  But I still would have only wanted Griffey last season if he was our DH to replace Everett, not replacing Rowand in CF.  Things are different now.  Thome is our DH and Griffey's contract and injury problems don't make sense for us in CF.

Good post. The situation has changed dramatically from July 31st till now. Griffey wouldn't be a very good fit with this team.

Interesting, there actually is a Red Sox / Bajenaru connection...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbac...intron0309.html

Byrnes, who spent the past three seasons as assistant general manager with the Red Sox, said Boston tried to pursue a trade for Bajenaru last season when the Sox's bullpen was going through a rough time.

Seems like Ozuna is a lock, so it comes down to Borchard and Gload for the final roster spot, and if the Sox go with 12 pitchers, it might not be either of them.

The one position that both Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen were feeling a bit exposed in case of an injury was at shortstop. If Juan Uribe were to go down, Pablo Ozuna was the only backup. That wasn't good enough for Williams or Guillen.

"(Cintron's) role is going to be, you know, I don't have a legit shortstop after (Uribe)," Guillen said. "When I need a shortstop for Uribe, we gamble and put in Ozuna, and then when Ozuna is the lineup and we need to pinch-hit, we don't have someone.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
Maybe not even the Yankees...

And didn't the Yankees show last season what it's like when you have a bad defensive center fielder?

We didn't win the world series last year by out-slugging teams and having the best offense in baseball. We won with great pitching and good defense. You put Griffey in Center Field, and that dramatically takes away from the second aspect I've listed there.

Not to mention the payroll and contract issues that go along with acquiring him. And of course, he's Cincinatti's main marketble player up there.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 08:06 PM)
Interesting, there actually is a Red Sox / Bajenaru connection...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbac...intron0309.html

I wonder if Byrnes was still with the Red Sox, whether it could possibly be Tony Graffanino and not Alex Cintron who'd be with this ballclub today?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 05:25 AM)
I wonder if Byrnes was still with the Red Sox, whether it could possibly be Tony Graffanino and not Alex Cintron who'd be with this ballclub today?

That could have been a possibility, but Cintron seems to have more upside (switch hitter), so I am glad it worked out this way.

Does anyone think that although Cintron, who is being mentioned as a Uribe replacement if he went down, really maybe an insurance policy for Iguchi? The Sox have seen Iguchi really struggle this spring, I know he was working on a different swing, maybe the team is concerned about his current 0-for.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 02:43 AM)
I was for a Griffey trade last season when our offense was pathetic with Everett struggling horribly.  I didn't care who we would have had to trade for Griffey.  I wanted them to win the World Series.  Luckily, they won it without making a move other than Geoff Blum.  But I still would have only wanted Griffey last season if he was our DH to replace Everett, not replacing Rowand in CF.  Things are different now.  Thome is our DH and Griffey's contract and injury problems don't make sense for us in CF.

I'm sure Griffey would have played some in CF last year had he been traded to us, but he would have essentially been a replacement for Everett with his bat. just now that we have Thome makes a move for Griffey unnecessary.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
Does anyone think that although Cintron, who is being mentioned as a Uribe replacement if he went down, really maybe an insurance policy for Iguchi? The Sox have seen Iguchi really struggle this spring, I know he was working on a different swing, maybe the team is concerned about his current 0-for.

it's why this deal makes so much sense. believe it or not, he hit like .320 a few years ago, and say Iguchi hits bad enough that it warrants him being benched (which I don't see happening anyway), or even if Uribe plays bad enough (at the dish and defensively) that it warrants the same, it helps to have someone like Cintron to step in.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 08:10 AM)
it's why this deal makes so much sense.  believe it or not, he hit like .320 a few years ago, and say Iguchi hits bad enough that it warrants him being benched (which I don't see happening anyway), or even if Uribe plays bad enough (at the dish and defensively) that it warrants the same, it helps to have someone like Cintron to step in.

I really like this deal. Cintron could be a decent SS/starter in any other teams but to have him as a backup for 2B/SS definitely makes our team a lot better.

What's with the deal with the closers we produce in the minors?(Almonte, Valentine, now Baj)

Here is another possible angle to this.

This move could also be protection for if Joe's back acts up.

Uribe moves to 3rd, Cintron plays SS. Our infield is still pretty damn strong. Mack can play 3rd, but this gives us the best possible defensive backup infield in the event of Joes back acting up. Man is this team deep.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 05:47 AM)

I think they're more concerned with the lack of Willie Harris, thus giving us no backup for Iguchi at all. The nice thing about this deal is...it gives us a guy who can play short as well...and hence can do what Harris simply couldn't learn to do last year. Hopefully now we won't be seeing Dye at short again.

Hmph, according to Kenny, Cintron must be able to play some 1b as well.

"[Cintron] is a switch hitter and can play all four positions in the infield. We've been looking for this kid since 2004. [The Diamondbacks] always denied it. Now we have an opportunity to help our team. Our bench is going to be much stronger. It's a great acquisition for us.''

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:49 AM)
Hmph, according to Kenny, Cintron must be able to play some 1b as well.

If Kenny really means it that way and Cintron can play 1B, 2B, 3B and SS that leaves 0 use for Gload (though he had little value previously).