White Sox Acquire Infielder Alex Cintron

OfficerKarkovice

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
1.6 for someone of Cintron's caliber isn't cheap.. at all.

It's not cheap, but it's not overly expensive. There's a lot of other crappier players making more money than that. I was unhappy that Timo was making a million last year, but that's just part of the baseball landscape. Cintron isn't great AT ALL, but he's much more valuable than Willie Harris was.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
It's not cheap, but it's not overly expensive.  There's a lot of other crappier players making more money than that.  I was unhappy that Timo was making a million last year, but that's just part of the baseball landscape.  Cintron isn't great AT ALL, but he's much more valuable than Willie Harris was.

If someone gets hurt and he fills in as the starter, he is a bargain. He is a player that could start for many other teams. When you talk about caliber, he is starter caliber. 1.6 million for a starting SS is a bargain IMO. We got this guy for scraps, and he makes our bench one of the best in the league by far. This was a great trade by KW, and he was believed to be offering more than this last year and this offseason.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
It's not cheap, but it's not overly expensive.  There's a lot of other crappier players making more money than that.  I was unhappy that Timo was making a million last year, but that's just part of the baseball landscape.  Cintron isn't great AT ALL, but he's much more valuable than Willie Harris was.

I think this post is right. Cintron isn't cheap, but I think he could start on at least a few teams. He also isn't overly expensive.

Since people are making this comparison for some reason, I take Citron over Gonzalez. Gonzalez reminds me of Clayton in that he catches what is hit to him, but doesn't have impressive range. I don't think Citron has great range either though.

Neither are what I'd call upper echelon defensive shortstop's. In fact mediocre is a term best used for either of them. Just my 2 cents. But as a bench player Citron is pretty solid. I like his offensive capabilities. Plus I was watching him a couple days ago and he was hitting the ball hard against the Mets (I think he was on Puerto Rico).

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
How so?  He is about as good as your teams starting SS, and could start for several Major league teams.  Hows is he not worth a little over what Timo f***ing Perez made last year?  Please enlighten me.

I agree with Jason, like I've said all along:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
Technically, for the final bench spot it is a decent amount.  The Dbacks saved some cash and its why they made this deal.  They are also getting a guy who should be solid in there pen.

That said its not excessive amount and he's a good ballplayer capable of starting if one of our guys goes down.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
Since people are making this comparison for some reason, I take Citron over Gonzalez. Gonzalez reminds me of Clayton in that he catches what is hit to him, but doesn't have impressive range. 

There's a quote from Ozzie Guillen back in his Marlin days stating that he thought Gonzalez was the best defensive shortstop he'd ever seen play the game.

I don't agree with him, hell I don't agree with Ozzie on a lot of things, but take it for what its worth.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
If someone gets hurt and he fills in as the starter, he is a bargain.  He is a player that could start for many other teams.  When you talk about caliber, he is starter caliber.  1.6 million for a starting SS is a bargain IMO.  We got this guy for scraps, and he makes our bench one of the best in the league by far.  This was a great trade by KW, and he was believed to be offering more than this last year and this offseason.

I like the trade aswell. I just don't think its a fleecing, which has been my stance from the start.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
I like the trade aswell.  I just don't think its a fleecing, which has been my stance from the start.

Haha, ok then. Getting a starter caliber player, who is affordable cheap, while giving up a piece of junk off the scrap heap seems like a fleecing to me. Usually when you give someone something you werent going to use because it doesn work, and you get something that works well and is fairly new, you fleeced them.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 10:53 PM)
I like the trade aswell.  I just don't think its a fleecing, which has been my stance from the start.

Question....if you thought less of Baj, would you think it was a better trade? Is one of the reasons you don't like it is cause they got rid of him?

BTW, I'm eagerly awaiting the sight of Baj pitching in Colorado. Best of luck to him though, I really mean it.

Sigh, R&W ruins antoher thread.

How is a Red Sox fan going to tell us $1.6 million for Alex Cintron is too much?

$3 million for Alex Gonzalez to stink it up everyday.

$1.4 million for Alex Cora

$2.05 million fo Tony G.

$3.75 million for Mark Loretta.

:rolly

Cintron isn't a great player. If he was a great player he would be making a lot more than $1.6 million. He is a valuable player. He hits and can play several positions at least adequately. He is a bench player for the White Sox who will probably get a lot of playing time. To get him for someone the Sox were obviously going to send to Charlotte is a no-brainer. I still hope that KW has another move in mind to strengthen the bullpen. It is a huge concern of mine.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
Why are we talking about Alex Gonzalez anyways, hes on a different team..I do not feel like reading this entire thing?

You might want to. I've been called some terrific names in this thread. Maybe I should put them in my signature?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
Haha, ok then.  Getting a starter caliber player, who is affordable cheap, while giving up a piece of junk off the scrap heap seems like a fleecing to me.  Usually when you give someone something you werent going to use because it doesn work, and you get something that works well and is fairly new, you fleeced them.

If the White Sox had such a need for a utility infielder, you'd think a World Championship organization would have done something before mid-March.

I like the deal, I like Cintron. I agree with you that Baj didn't have a place in this organization. My only real complaint is the money, and like I said from the start, I thought rotoworld made a good point:

"Bajenaru was in the running to earn a spot on the White Sox as a middle reliever, but getting Cintron for him looks like a good move. Still, it's interesting to see that the team that was so hesitant to give Tadahito Iguchi even $2.5 million per season a year ago is going to pay $1.6 million for a rather average backup."

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)

How is a Red Sox fan going to tell us $1.6 million for Alex Cintron is too much?

$3 million for Alex Gonzalez to stink it up everyday.

$1.4 million for Alex Cora

$2.05 million fo Tony G.

$3.75 million for Mark Loretta.

:rolly

Read the thread. It was instigated by fathom who has since apologize to me.

Apology accepted by the way.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
There's a quote from Ozzie Guillen back in his Marlin days stating that he thought Gonzalez was the best defensive shortstop he'd ever seen play the game.

I don't agree with him, hell I don't agree with Ozzie on a lot of things, but take it for what its worth.

Oh, your talking about that Alex Gonzalez. I'll shut up. I don't pay attention to the Red Sox and I was thinking of the one from the Cubs, who last I knew was on the Drays.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
If the White Sox had such a need for a utility infielder, you'd think a World Championship organization would have done something before mid-March. 

I like the deal, I like Cintron.  I agree with you that Baj didn't have a place in this organization.  My only real complaint is the money, and like I said from the start, I thought rotoworld made a good point:

"Bajenaru was in the running to earn a spot on the White Sox as a middle reliever, but getting Cintron for him looks like a good move. Still, it's interesting to see that the team that was so hesitant to give Tadahito Iguchi even $2.5 million per season a year ago is going to pay $1.6 million for a rather average backup."

Maybe you or your buddies at Rotoworld can name a few better back-ups since he is an average one.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
Why are we talking about Alex Gonzalez anyways, hes on a different team..I do not feel like reading this entire thing?

fathom and Rock are the reasons why Alex Gonzalez' name was brought up. As soon as I said it was only a really good deal and not a great deal, they both changed the subject almost entirely.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
Cintron isn't a great player. If he was a great player he would be making a lot more than $1.6 million. He is a valuable player. He hits and can play several positions at least adequately. He is a bench player for the White Sox who will probably get a lot of playing time. To get him for someone the Sox were obviously going to send to Charlotte is a no-brainer. I still hope that KW has another move in mind to strengthen the bullpen. It is a huge concern of mine.

Ah Ha!!!!!! Sanity prevails.

Can I offer up a suggestion to the class, from this post forward, can we consider this a new thread?

Richie makes two excellent points here. At the end of the day--I hate that cliche, I apologize--the White Sox landed a utility player they've shown interest in for at least two seasons, a guy that can move around the infield and a guy that does all the little things right for someone that had no place on their roster and was all but stamped as a non-prospect at this point.

Point two: is there another deal in the wings here, albeit a minor one? Is Gload going to be the one moved--as I believe he will--for some package of minor leaguers or a left-hander that can compete for that final spot this year.

Anyone on board with turning the corner in this thread?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
Oh, your talking about that Alex Gonzalez.  I'll shut up.  I don't pay attention to the Red Sox and I was thinking of the one from the Cubs, who last I knew was on the Drays.

I'd have made the mistake too had fathom and Rock not made it abundantly clear that he played for the Red Sox.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)

see payroll from 2005 vs Payroll 2006 or you could look at attendance from both seasons for comparison as well.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:55 PM)

To be honest, its not really his fault for posting something, then trying to defend himself when everyone else criticizes him. He's right that Cintron is overpaid, since he's going to be nothing more than a bench player. Does that matter? According to JR and KW, no.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)

To me, this is a stupid statement. The whole franchise has changed since last year's offseason. We're talking about an entire new budget we're dealing with. It doesn't matter, rotoworld always has something bad to say about KW.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)

Well, IMO, that depends on 2 things...1 Baj's performance, and 2. your definition of a fleecing.

If Baj works his way down to an ERA of 3.00 or lower at some point in the next few years, which he has the talent to do IMO, then this trade could look pretty fair. But if Baj can't get it below 5, getting anything for him is pretty much a fleecing.