Peter King article on SI.com about the Sox

CSF

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/base...card/index.html

Mr. Personality

Guillen happy to do all the talking for White Sox

Posted: Tuesday March 7, 2006 3:27PM

By Peter King, SI.com

Ozzie Guillen is everything they said he is. Conversing with him is like talking to a cross between comedian Lewis Black and SI writer Paul Zimmerman, if both were from Caracas.

Guillen swears a lot. A lot. We'll keep those out of this family postcard. But he was talking about Melvin Mora's decision to not play for the Venezuelan team in the World Baseball Classic and how that would play in his home country.

"I feel for him, because he has to do what is best for him,'' Guillen said, standing on the field at the White Sox training complex here before a morning workout Monday. "But you have to understand what baseball is like in my country. People are going to go up to him back home, long after this is over, and they're going to walk right up to him and say, "Hey, [bleep] you! Why didn't you want to play for your country?' It's like if you're an American, you're at war, you get drafted to fight and you don't go. That is what baseball is in Venezuela.''

Sounds like there's a lot of pressure in Venezuela for people who get to make a living in baseball.

"When I went home after we won the World Series,'' he said, "women, children, old people, businessmen, they all say: 'Thank you, Ozzie! Thank you! Gracias! People are crying, tears coming down their faces. They are so happy one of their own won the World Series. There are 25 million people in Venezuela who want my spot. They all want my job.'''

Must be never a dull moment covering this guy.

Player I Saw Whom I Really Liked

You can tell Brian Anderson, the successor to Aaron Rowand in center field, really likes himself. Blond kid. Confident. Handsome. He's 6-foot-2, 215 pounds, 23 years old. And this morning, on a back field, he was in a hitting group with Jim Thome and Paul Konerko. This is the greatest tribute I can give Anderson: He belonged. He hit two moonshots 40 feet over the left-field fence in succession and there was some oohing and aahing coming from the vets. In case you don't recall -- and I didn't -- he had a cup of coffee with the Sox last summer and hit two homers off Felix Hernandez (King Felix). From the looks of things this morning, there's more where that came from.

Team's Biggest Strengths

Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Freddie Garcia, Jon Garland, Javier Vazquez.

I mean, come on.

The fifth starter here would be the ace on the staff of two division rivals -- Detroit and Kansas City.

Team's Biggest Weakness

I searched. I hired three private detectives, working 12-hour shifts for three days each. Sorry. We couldn't find a weakness.

Wait. Here's one: a second lefty in the bullpen.

No kidding. That's the big problem here. They've got Neal Cotts (4-0, 1.94 ERA in 60 innings) and then, after that, they're searching. Imagine opening the season with Brandon McCarthy (130 strikeouts in 119 Triple-A innings last year) as your long man, with Cliff Politte and Dustin Hermanson (combined 35 saves with a 2.02 ERA) your set-up guys for new closer Bobby Jenks.

Nice weakness to have. I bet every team east of Anaheim would like to have that weakness.

Clubhouse Confidential

Jim Thome is not only swinging the bat like Jim Thome, showing no ill effect from his August elbow surgery, but he's bonded like Krazy Glue with Paul Konerko. Instant team leader. ... "Great chemistry on this team,'' Konerko told me. "Jim just adds to it. We've got such a great clubhouse, totally low-maintenance guys.'' ... No one in here says much about repeating. ... For a championship team, this team is about as accommodating as it can be. A.J. Pierzynski and Mark Buehrle were born to talk. ... Jose Contreras seems so at ease here, as opposed to last year, when he was still trying to prove he belonged in the moneyed stratosphere of big-league baseball. ... Carlos Lee is here. You thought Carlos Lee was traded? He was, to Milwaukee, before last season. But Carlos Lee's brother, Carlos Lee, is a minor-league catcher. Played for the Winston-Salem Warthogs last year.

It borders on the surreal to read things like this about the Sox.

Team's Biggest Weakness

I searched. I hired three private detectives, working 12-hour shifts for three days each. Sorry. We couldn't find a weakness.

I realize that praise and criticism are two sides of the same coin. I realize that few people gave the Sox any kind of a chance last year. However, I also realize that I'm extremely fired up for this season.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
Then we have a 1 year WS Title drought.  OMG indeed ;).

Expectations, my friend. Last year we weren't expected to do s***. This year, we are considered as strong contenders for the whole enchilada.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
Expectations, my friend.  Last year we weren't expected to do s***.  This year, we are considered as strong contenders for the whole enchilada.

Very true. Maybe I have a losers attitude, but after ending the 88 year disaster drought last season, I am a lot more relaxed. We may not win it all, but no way in hell Ozzie, Kenny, and these players let us "flop".

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
Very true.  Maybe I have a losers attitude, but after ending the 88 year disaster drought last season, I am a lot more relaxed.  We may not win it all, but no way in hell Ozzie, Kenny, and these players let us "flop".

Ah! I've been a Sox fan too long to say that "no way" that happens.

While it's always nice to see a positive article on the Sox, this is (unfortunately) typical Peter King analysis.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
I've been a Sox fan for too long to say we're going to win the world series in 2005.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we will flop. However, I still remember 1984.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 05:19 AM)
Oh, don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying we will flop.  However, I still remember 1984.

You can't compare 2005-2006 to 1983-1984. The Sox lost the ALCS in 1983, they didn't go 11-1 in the postseason. Seaver was the main offseason acquisition compared to (Thome, Vazquez, Mackowiak, Cintron). Big difference.

1984 Starting Rotation:

Hoyt

Bannister

Seaver

Dotson

Burns

2006 Starting Rotaion:

Buehrle

Contreras

Garcia

Garland

Vazquez

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 04:36 AM)
You can't compare 2005-2006 to 1983-1984.  The Sox lost the ALCS in 1983, they didn't go 11-1 in the postseason.  Seaver was the main offseason acquisition compared to (Thome, Vazquez, Mackowiak, Cintron). Big difference.

1984 Starting Rotation:

Hoyt

Bannister

Seaver

Dotson

Burns

2006 Starting Rotaion:

Buehrle

Contreras

Garcia

Garland

Vazquez

Sure I can. Since I'm doing the comparing, I get to choose the criteria to compare. Both teams came off of 1st place finishes and made additions that seemed to strengthen the club over the offseason.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
Sure I can.  Since I'm doing the comparing, I get to choose the criteria to compare.  Both teams came off of 1st place finishes and made additions that seemed to strengthen the club over the offseason.

Difference is 1 team won the WS :P

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 02:36 AM)
You can't compare 2005-2006 to 1983-1984.  The Sox lost the ALCS in 1983, they didn't go 11-1 in the postseason.  Seaver was the main offseason acquisition compared to (Thome, Vazquez, Mackowiak, Cintron). Big difference.

1984 Starting Rotation:

Hoyt

Bannister

Seaver

Dotson

Burns

2006 Starting Rotaion:

Buehrle

Contreras

Garcia

Garland

Vazquez

And Seaver was a much better acquisition than Vazquez. Also remember that Thome's acquisition was also accompanied by the departure of Frank and Everett.

The '84 and '06 Sox are very comparable. While this year's team has a slightly better rotation, I'd take Kittle, Luzinski, Fisk, Baines, and Walker over our current lineup.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 04:36 AM)

1984 Starting Rotation:

Hoyt

Bannister

Seaver

Dotson

Burns

2006 Starting Rotaion:

Buehrle

Contreras

Garcia

Garland

Vazquez

So we know what we have going into 2006, right? If you look at 1984, you had last year's Cy Young (Hoyt), an all-time great who looked to have a year or too left (Seaver), a guy with outstanging physical tools who hadn't been able to put it together (Bannister) and two guys coming off their best years. I like this year's rotation better, too, but there are always question marks.