The Ross Gload Trade Countdown

AddisonStSox

Even before the acquisition of Alex Cintron, the writing has been on the wall for quite some time. If you've been following this team closely, you would know Ross has appeared to be the odd man out for awhile now. Personally, I can't help but get the feeling this guy does not have the attitude or the make-up for this ballclub. I know I'm not alone when I say it appears Ross has an attitude problem that's been apparent for at least two seasons.

Let the countdown begin. He's out of options, there is no place for him to go within this organization, and he's bound to have more opportunities available elsewhere.

Is he on the way out? Any ideas on where he might be headed? Does he have some value left? What would you like in return?

...Kenny worked some magic in that Cintron deal, by the way.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gload's the attitude problem? May I ask where this has come from? From reading several articles over the past month, it seems like Borchard has a little bit of one himself.

On a separate note, I like the trade. But Ozuna and Cintron seem like the same player, with a huge offensive edge to Cintron.

This is odd. I'm interested in seeing the what happens.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
:lolhitting

Wait...is...is this who I think it is? Nice post total by the way.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
Gload's the attitude problem?  May I ask where this has come from? 

I'll try and find the documentation that goes along with it. Give me a minute.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
On a separate note, I like the trade.  But Ozuna and Cintron seem like the same player, with a huge offensive edge to Cintron. 

This is odd.  I'm interested in seeing the what happens.

Ozuna is a lot faster than Cintron, and my guess is he'll be sticking around...mostly as a pinch-runner. Just a hunch.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
Gload's the attitude problem?  May I ask where this has come from?  From reading several articles over the past month, it seems like Borchard has a little bit of one himself.

On a separate note, I like the trade.  But Ozuna and Cintron seem like the same player, with a huge offensive edge to Cintron. 

This is odd.  I'm interested in seeing the what happens.

Cintron doesn't have Ozuna's speed or baserunning ability.

I'm hoping he can somehow spin Gload (or Ozuna, whichever is on his way out) into either a high minor league lefty reliever or a low level lefty prospect with a high ceiling. I suppose a AA or AAA guy that fits that description would be nice, but I don't think Kenny can work that much magic.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
Pablo's headed to AAA...

Check his contractHe signed a split contract.

Although I'm well aware what contract he signed in the off-season, sending Pablo to Charlotte would be an absolute crime. After outright winning last year's final remaining roster spot, he's gone well above and beyond the call of duty. He's done everything asked of him. I don't think sending Pablo down to Charlotte is even an option at this point. He's a member of the big-league club.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
Addy, I know there was some stuff in KC (after he made an error) to the effect of, "well, when you're only playing two days a week, it's tough".  But I've never really gotten the Willie Harris-type-attitude-problem-vibe from Gload.

That was the only thing I've ever heard Gload say, and it sure sounded to me like it had nothing to do with attitude...he sounded just pissed off at himself that he didn't make the play & it cost us the game.

But then again, the moment that happened...people jumped on him for having a "bad attitude", and I still don't have a clue why, so my best guess is that there's more underlying it than just that quote.

Let me make things real easy.

I've spent some time a couple different seasons in Charlotte. At the time both Gload and Borchard were there. I should make something real clear but those are about the only two players (along with Dan Wright and Arow) that were really commended for the effort and attitude they brought to the stadium each and every day.

I'm not saying Bmac and other guys didn't do this, cause they weren't there long, but both Borch and Gload have spent considerable time there and both were characterized as great individuals and team players. Another name I'm forgetting was Tex (Majewski) and Hankins.

And I've heard some bad stories about guys in Charlotte and I think at times its made obvious when I bring up something about those guys cause I usually am slamming them (Rauch was one of the big ones).

The fact is Gload was stuck in a power position. He should play somewhere in the major leagues, but who knows if that will happen. He, nor Borchard have any sort of attitude problem. As far as Borch goes, he's one of the kindest and nicest humans around.

I think Boz would attest to that as well as he's done an interview or two from the site and Borch went out of his way to say hello a day after doing an interview for our site.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Although I'm well aware what contract he signed in the off-season, sending Pablo to Charlotte would be an absolute crime.  After outright winning last year's final remaining roster spot, he's gone well above and beyond the call of duty.  He's done everything asked of him. I don't think sending Pablo down to Charlotte is even an option at this point.  He's a member of the big-league club.

So he should be kept on the roster for his smiling oily face?

What's his job? Mackowiak is the primary back-up at 3B, CF, LF, & RF. Cintron is the primary back-up at SS, 2B, and maybe even 3B.

Pablo is a back-up to the back-ups at this point. He belongs in AAA.

So he should be kept on the roster for his smiling oily face?

What's his job? Mackowiak is the primary back-up at 3B, CF, LF, & RF. Cintron is the primary back-up at SS, 2B, and maybe even 3B.

Pablo is a back-up to the back-ups at this point. He belongs in AAA.

I'm not saying that Ozuna should or shouldn't be on the roster. But he possesses two abilities that Ozzie seems to love -- speed and bunting. I'm pretty sure Ozzie will want to keep him on the roster over Gload.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
I'm not saying that Ozuna should or shouldn't be on the roster.  But he possesses two abilities that Ozzie seems to love -- speed and bunting.  I'm pretty sure Ozzie will want to keep him on the roster over Gload.

Frankly, I'd be stunned if Gload makes it over Pablo, for more reasons than I care to mention here. That thought never even came to me.

...wait and see I guess.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
I'm not saying that Ozuna should or shouldn't be on the roster.  But he possesses two abilities that Ozzie seems to love -- speed and bunting.  I'm pretty sure Ozzie will want to keep him on the roster over Gload.

There is no way in hell that Ozuna going anywhere unless he hits under .200 (which won't happen) for most of the season.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
There is no way in hell that Ozuna going anywhere unless he hits under .200 (which won't happen) for most of the season.

Thanks. Seriously, are there others in the same camp as Cheat? Is the Cintron deal a precursor for sending Ozuna down to Charlotte?

If it is, just let me know. The trade seems a lot less helpful when thinking about it in terms of Ozuna v. Cintron. Ozuna is going to be able to make a lot of the things Cintron makes possible for you at a fraction of the price.

Frankly, if it's Ozuna v. Cintron, I don't like the deal at all. Now, when you start taking about adding Cintron to a bench with Ozuna, then we're talking...then it becomes a strengthing move.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:16 PM)

I've brought this up two times now, but I think Cintron can bunt well because when he played a full season, he had 12 sacrifice hits. One more than anyone on this team had last season, and we lead the league in sacrifices.

Also I've heard from a reputable fan in Arizona that Cintron has above average speed. So Cintron basically eliminates the need for a Pablo Ozuna unless you really want to waste a roster spot just to have a slight advantage in some pinch-running situations.

I want Gload on this team (and Ozuna sent down) but my gut says he gone.

Edited by 3E8

Addison -- having Cintron on the roster now, Ozuna doesn't do a whole lot.

Actually, he provides one thing for this team -- speed.

So, let's assume that Mack/Widge/Cintron are locks for the team, along with this LOOGY Lopez. I believe that puts the Sox at 23.

So, the final two spots go to Borchard/Ozuna/Gload.

This might not be how the Sox are looking at it, but:

Borchard - He can play all three OF spots. Whether or not his CF defense is better than Mackowiak's is a question I leave to the crowd. I don't know. Can't hit worth a damn, though.

Gload - Provides depth at 1B and LF (though, he should be used sparingly in LF). I know people like to say that Mackowiak can backup at 1B, but he's played five games there in his career. I'd venture to guess that he's a much better defensive firstbaseman than Mackowiak, and Gload is *arguably* the best hitter off the bench.

Ozuna - He can play every position, but, in most cases, is behind another guy. Like Cheat said, he's the backups' backup. I don't think he's as good defensively as Cintron is on the left side of the infield, and he should be used sparingly in the OF/1B. Really, his only attribute to this team is his speed.

Edited by CWSGuy406

Keith, when I was going over the roster an hour or two ago, I'm came up with 23 as well.

C-Pierzynski

1B-Konerko

2B-Iguchi

SS-Uribe

3B-Crede

RF-Dye

CF-Anderson

LF-Podsednik

DH-Thome

Bench: Widger, Mackowiak, Cintron, Ozuna, Borchard/Gload

SP Buehrle

SP Garcia

SP Contreras

SP Garland

SP Vazquez

CP Jenks

RP Hermanson

RP Politte

RP McCarthy

LP Cotts

LP Lopez/"Competition" Winner

For me, that's adding up to 25. That look about right to anyone else?

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
Gload - Provides depth at 1B and LF (though, he should be used sparingly in LF).  I know people like to say that Mackowiak can backup at 1B, but he's played five games there in his career.  I'd venture to guess that he's a much better defensive firstbaseman than Mackowiak, and Gload is *arguably* the best hitter off the bench.

Do not forget...we have 2 first baseman in front of Gload...and they're the 2 best hitters on our team barring a full season of the Rally Crede. Even if Mack is our only backup 1b option in the big leagues, we'd have to have 2 people go down before that even becomes a question, 1 of whom played 158 games last year. The only way we need a Gload is if Thome or PK cannot stay healthy. And in that case, hell, we'd be in a lot of trouble anyway.