NFL Gets a Deal Done

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
really?  i didn't know that,  kinda sucks.

and by 'kinda sucks' i mean 'really sucks'.

Enjoy;

Lance Briggs is reportedly asking for a bigger contract than Brian Urlacher.

Briggs has Drew Rosenhaus for an agent, but the one-time Pro Bowler isn't getting more than his teammate. A long-term deal still seems likely at some point, perhaps closer to Dan Morgan's recent contract.

I don't see why the Bears shouldn't pay him an Urlacher type contract. They had numbers that were pretty close. If you figure in the that Urlacher is the ILB and Briggs is OLB, that is a pretty amazing thing for Briggs. But Briggs is precisley why the Bears did not go after a LB in the 2005 draft. They have a boat load of cap tied up in Urlacher and they want to tie up a bunch more in Briggs. There was no way they could tie up any more in LBs. When Braylon Edwards came off the board and the could not trade down, they had to take the RB.

When Briggs' contract comes up in 2007, the cap should be at about $110M. They will pay him up to but not over what Urlacher gets.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:47 PM)
I don't see why the Bears shouldn't pay him an Urlacher type contract. They had numbers that were pretty close. If  you figure in the that Urlacher is the ILB and Briggs is OLB, that is a pretty amazing thing for Briggs.

Inside linebacker versus outside linebacker doesn't really mean anything. Both have plenty of opportunities to make plays.

There are reasons that Urlacher is making all that money and Briggs probably won't get that close to it. First, Briggs has only played like this for 2 years, while Brian has for 5 (and I guess another half a year). Second, Briggs doesn't make as many big plays. In the last two years, he has 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and 3 picks. Urlacher has 12 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and a pick, and he played in 7 fewer games. Briggs is good, but they're not on the same level.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 12:06 AM)
Inside linebacker versus outside linebacker doesn't really mean anything. Both have plenty of opportunities to make plays.

There are reasons that Urlacher is making all that money and Briggs probably won't get that close to it. First, Briggs has only played like this for 2 years, while Brian has for 5 (and I guess another half a year). Second, Briggs doesn't make as many big plays. In the last two years, he has 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and 3 picks. Urlacher has 12 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and a pick, and he played in 7 fewer games. Briggs is good, but they're not on the same level.

ILBs roam the field and fall into coverage a lot more often whereas the OLBs first job is to contian the outside. OLBs do not generally blitz at the same rate ILBs do. OLBs, even the best, only cover 50% of the field whereas ILBs pursue the ball who ever has it.