US view of Islam declining

southsider2k5

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11735622/

The poll found that nearly half of Americans -- 46 percent -- have a negative view of Islam, seven percentage points higher than in the tense months after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, when Muslims were often targeted for violence.

According to the poll, the proportion of Americans who believe that Islam helps to stoke violence against non-Muslims has more than doubled since the attacks, from 14 percent in January 2002 to 33 percent today.

The survey also found that one in three Americans have heard prejudiced comments about Muslims lately. In a separate question, slightly more (43 percent) reported having heard negative remarks about Arabs. One in four Americans admitted to harboring prejudice toward Muslims, the same proportion that expressed some personal bias against Arabs.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 09:05 AM)
Sort of ironic that Americans' views on Bush are statistically correlated with that of Americans' views on Islam.

Here's my thinking on this. The media shows violence in Iraq to push their liberal agenda and undermine Bush. After so many hours of watching violence in the name of Allah, the American public naturally starts to get a jaded view of Islam.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
Here's my thinking on this.  The media shows violence in Iraq to push their liberal agenda and undermine Bush.  After so many hours of watching violence in the name of Allah, the American public naturally starts to get a jaded view of Islam.

Funny how there are unintended side effects for what gets shown on the news... :bang

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
Here's my thinking on this.  The media shows violence in Iraq to push their liberal agenda and undermine Bush.  After so many hours of watching violence in the name of Allah, the American public naturally starts to get a jaded view of Islam.

The non-stop violence in Iraq and Israel/Palestine certainly is a big player. I don't believe the media is trying to make Bush look bad, though - I think they are showing what sells: violence and anything spectacular. Unfortunately, that means we don't see the daily camera shots from India, Turkey and any number of other countries where Islam gets along just fine with other religions (isolated incidents aside). So the view is skewed.

Definitely sad in any case.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
The non-stop violence in Iraq and Israel/Palestine certainly is a big player.  I don't believe the media is trying to make Bush look bad, though - I think they are showing what sells: violence and anything spectacular.  Unfortunately, that means we don't see the daily camera shots from India, Turkey and any number of other countries where Islam gets along just fine with other religions (isolated incidents aside).  So the view is skewed.

We have a difference of opinion on the media/Bush thing, but that's cool.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
We have a difference of opinion on the media/Bush thing, but that's cool.

C'mon Yas, I think the liberal media thing is old. The "liberal" media raked their favorite son, Clinton, over the coals about the whole Lewinsky deal. Honestly, with all this talk about liberal media and Fox News being balanced, I see that news orgs are trying to be more centered.

Tangent: You know, when I was in college, one of my journalism professors said that there is only one kind of informed person and that's one that reads newspapers and magazines, and listens to the radio AND watches TV. And not just all liberal, like Air America or all conservative, like Fox News...but EVERYTHING.

So, let's just drop the liberal media thing already, huh?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:03 AM)
C'mon Yas, I think the liberal media thing is old.  The "liberal" media raked their favorite son, Clinton, over the coals about the whole Lewinsky deal.  Honestly, with all this talk about liberal media and Fox News being balanced, I see that news orgs are trying to be more centered. 

Tangent:  You know, when I was in college, one of my journalism professors said that there is only one kind of informed person and that's one that reads newspapers and magazines, and listens to the radio AND watches TV.  And not just all liberal, like Air America or all conservative, like Fox News...but EVERYTHING. 

So, let's just drop the liberal media thing already, huh?

Sorry man. I've been watching network news for 30+ years and I am convinced the media has a liberal agenda. So, no, I won't just drop the liberal media thing. It's my opinion and I have the privilege of expressing it here on Soxtalk and I'll continue to do so whenever I feel it's appropriate.

As for your 'Tangent' ... I listen to Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Hannity to offset the liberal indoctrination I have received over the past 30+ years.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
Yeah, unfortunately, the result is the same regardless of which of us may be correct.  Hatred is building, and that can't be good.

I'd agree with you 100% there. Whatever the cause, the end result isn't good.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
I'd agree with you 100% there.  Whatever the cause, the end result isn't good.

Intolerance of those that are different is what started all of this. And this didn't start on 09/11/01. This goes back centuries ... from all sides.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)
Intolerance of those that are different is what started all of this.  And this didn't start on 09/11/01.  This goes back centuries ... from all sides.

Now this, I can agree with.

It might have a little to do, in addition to the War in Iraq, with the spurts of violence in the name of Censorship-Against-the-Danish and God-Knows-What-The-f***-in-France.

I know that my view of the Muslim world keeps dwindling, particularly after seeing things like that. You know, they don't have indoor plumbing but have ready-made access to any flag they want to burn, apparently.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 07:50 AM)
The non-stop violence in Iraq and Israel/Palestine certainly is a big player.  I don't believe the media is trying to make Bush look bad, though - I think they are showing what sells: violence and anything spectacular.  Unfortunately, that means we don't see the daily camera shots from India, Turkey and any number of other countries where Islam gets along just fine with other religions (isolated incidents aside).  So the view is skewed.

I think it's fairly difficult to say that Islam is getting along with other religions very well in almost any country right now. India, which you cite, for example, has had a couple of bombings lately, and just shot and killed one Islamic suspect. Not to mention their border clashes with Pakistan. Turkey has had plenty of problems with its Kurdish population, and just had a suicide bombing today.

Let's also remember a couple of other things...most notably, this poll is probably also being taken after weeks of riots over cartoons depicting Mohammed, which by all accounts went over pretty poorly in this country, what with that whole "freedom of speech" thing we have. And we've also seen the election of Hamas in the Palestinian territories, showing support for a terrorist group. And we've seen the outbreak of Sunni/Shi'a violence in Iraq, basically an entirely intra-Islam conflict.

These days, the folks who say that Islam is a religion of peace are still right, but there's a lot of people who are dead set in proving those folks wrong. And the numbers of people trying to prove that statement wrong are clearly on the increase.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 09:03 AM)
It might have a little to do, in addition to the War in Iraq, with the spurts of violence in the name of Censorship-Against-the-Danish and God-Knows-What-The-f***-in-France.

I know that my view of the Muslim world keeps dwindling, particularly after seeing things like that. You know, they don't have indoor plumbing but have ready-made access to any flag they want to burn, apparently.

Dude, if there's a market for an item, someone will find a way to fill that demand. Global capitalism...isn't it a wonderful thing? I'm sure right now there's a company somewhere working on a cleaner and more rapid burning flag to market to folks who really want to put on a good show.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
Dude, if there's a market for an item, someone will find a way to fill that demand.  Global capitalism...isn't it a wonderful thing?  I'm sure right now there's a company somewhere working on a cleaner and more rapid burning flag to market to folks who really want to put on a good show.

:lolhitting

Yes, Capitalism is a beautiful thing. It's even more beautiful, in a strange way, that the Muslim world spends so much time to cursing the infidels and burning Danish flags instead of finding ways to not have to s*** in holes in the ground or to keep themselves from dying of simple diseases.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 07:14 AM)

Yep...

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 09:03 AM)

Burning embassies to protest freaking cartoons had to be the breaking point for many people. It's a shame that this small sect of fantatic idiots is turning the "Religion of Peace" into a criminal organization.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 08:09 AM)
Sorry man.  I've been watching network news for 30+ years and I am convinced the media has a liberal agenda.  So, no, I won't just drop the liberal media thing.  It's my opinion and I have the privilege of expressing it here on Soxtalk and I'll continue to do so whenever I feel it's appropriate. 

As for your 'Tangent' ... I listen to Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Hannity to offset the liberal indoctrination I have received over the past 30+ years.

In addition to ~ 25 years of liberal media exposure, I live in Oregon and have worked in academia all of my life. I need a dose of either Hannity or Rush in the afternoon, followed by a dose of Fox News at night to maintain my sanity. It's unfortunate that my medical insurance doesn't cover my cable bill.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
I think it's fairly difficult to say that Islam is getting along with other religions very well in almost any country right now.  India, which you cite, for example, has had a couple of bombings lately, and just shot and killed one Islamic suspect.  Not to mention their border clashes with Pakistan.  Turkey has had plenty of problems with its Kurdish population, and just had a suicide bombing today.

Let's also remember a couple of other things...most notably, this poll is probably also being taken after weeks of riots over cartoons depicting Mohammed, which by all accounts went over pretty poorly in this country, what with that whole "freedom of speech" thing we have.  And we've also seen the election of Hamas in the Palestinian territories, showing support for a terrorist group.  And we've seen the outbreak of Sunni/Shi'a violence in Iraq, basically an entirely intra-Islam conflict.

These days, the folks who say that Islam is a religion of peace are still right, but there's a lot of people who are dead set in proving those folks wrong.  And the numbers of people trying to prove that statement wrong are clearly on the increase.

Let me clarify.

Muslim is not getting along with other religions well. And guess what? None of the major religions get along well. Never have. I am not talking about the Muslim "body". I am speaking of Muslim individuals.

And in India, aside from the Pakistani battles (which at this point have little to do with religion), sectarian violence is extremely low for a country with a billion people split amongst Muslims, Hindus, Christians and Buddhists. There was a small spike, a few bombings and some mostly peaceful protests, around Bush's visit. As for Turkey, they fear in independent Kurdistan more than their own Muslim population, so I don't think that is about religion.

I am just trying to keep the focus on people, not billion-person categories. To say Islam is a religion of peace, or to attribute a particularly violent nature to it, are both false. The same is true of Christianity. Both religions have histories of war, violence, and an unwillingness to accept those that are different (as YASNY has said). Therefore, I am saddened when I see people applying their disgust with the violence to an entire sixth of the world, instead of against the violators themselves.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)

And Fox News, Limbaugh, etc have decided to not cover any of the violence in Iraq?? That's all left for the liberal media?

You said earlier: The media shows violence in Iraq to push their liberal agenda and undermine Bush.

Edited by BigSqwert