Official World Baseball Classic Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the tie-breaker if there is a 3-way tie? That could be important for the US. Unless the unthinkable happens and they don't turn this game around and follow it with a loss to South Africa, the US would be 2-1. IF Mexico then beat Canada, that would leave those 3 countries in a 3-way tie. It's academic if Canada beats Mexico too, but what if that doesn't happen? Anyone know?

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
What's the tie-breaker if there is a 3-way tie? That could be important for the US. Unless the unthinkable happens and they don't turn this game around and follow it with a loss to South Africa, the US would be 2-1. IF Mexico then beat Canada, that would leave those 3 countries in a 3-way tie. It's academic if Canada beats Mexico too, but what if that doesn't happen? Anyone know?

1.  The winner of head-to-head games between the tied teams;

2. The team allowing the fewest runs per nine innings (RA/9) in head-to-head games between the tied teams;

3. The team allowing the fewest earned runs per nine innings (ERA) in head-to-head games between the tied teams;

4. The team with the highest highest batting average (AVG) in head-to-head games between the tied teams;

5. Drawing of lots, conducted by WBCI.

So if the US, Mexico, and Canada tied I would assume tiebreaker 1 would be meaningless. So the US would be best served to not give up many runs the rest of this game even if they don't comeback.

I gotta rant about the pitching on the US team. Not only about a couple of guys that made the team, but also how you're using them.

First off, the alignment of the pitchers. Why would you use Roger Clemens in a gimme game against South Africa instead of in a game where there is at least some threat like Mexico or Canada? That doesn't make much sense to me. Secondly, why would you use Leiter and Majewski in a game where you are trying to minimize the damage? If I were managing, those two wouldn't be taking the mound unless we were up at least 4 runs or up at least 4 runs. I guess Majewski fits that criteria, but I still don't like using him there.

Secondly, why are those two guys even on the roster? I know they were replacements, but did everyone that can actually pitch turn them down? Where are Roy Oswalt, Roy Halladay, Andy Pettitte, and Mark Mulder? Where's Jon Garland, Josh Beckett, A.J. Burnett, and John Lackey? What about some youngsters like Dan Haren or Scott Kazmir? What about some other relievers like Jason Isringhausen and B.J. Ryan. Hell, if you're going to take a left-handed Met, where's Tom Glavine? If you're going to take an old man, what about Greg Maddux?

The outfielders mystify me a bit too. We couldn't find any corner outfielders? We gotta play Vernon Wells in RF, Johnny Damon in left, and Matt Holiday and Jeff Francoer on the roster? Where are Adam Dunn, Aubrey Huff, Patt Burrell, or Lance Berkman? Or how about Grady Sizemore?

I know a couple of guys opted out like Buerhle, Hudson, Sabathia, Wagner and Bonds, but you've got to be able to do better than those two scrubs and that outfield.

Anyways, end of rant. I'm just somewhat upset about those choices now that they're coming back to haunt us. Give some credit to Canada, they're hitting well, and the US couldn't touch Adam Loewen.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
I gotta rant about the pitching on the US team. Not only about a couple of guys that made the team, but also how you're using them.

First off, the alignment of the pitchers. Why would you use Roger Clemens in a gimme game against South Africa instead of in a game where there is at least some threat like Mexico or Canada? That doesn't make much sense to me. Secondly, why would you use Leiter and Majewski in a game where you are trying to minimize the damage? If I were managing, those two wouldn't be taking the mound unless we were up at least 4 runs or up at least 4 runs. I guess Majewski fits that criteria, but I still don't like using him there.

Secondly, why are those two guys even on the roster? I know they were replacements, but did everyone that can actually pitch turn them down? Where are Roy Oswalt, Roy Halladay, Andy Pettitte, and Mark Mulder? Where's Jon Garland, Josh Beckett, A.J. Burnett, and John Lackey? What about some youngsters like Dan Haren or Scott Kazmir? What about some other relievers like Jason Isringhausen and B.J. Ryan. Hell, if you're going to take a left-handed Met, where's Tom Glavine? If you're going to take an old man, what about Greg Maddux?

The outfielders mystify me a bit too. We couldn't find any corner outfielders? We gotta play Vernon Wells in RF, Johnny Damon in left, and Matt Holiday and Jeff Francoer on the roster? Where are Adam Dunn, Aubrey Huff, Patt Burrell, or Lance Berkman? Or how about Grady Sizemore?

I know a couple of guys opted out like Buerhle, Hudson, Sabathia, Wagner and Bonds, but you've got to be able to do better than those two scrubs and that outfield.

Anyways, end of rant. I'm just somewhat upset about those choices now that they're coming back to haunt us. Give some credit to Canada, they're hitting well, and the US couldn't touch Adam Loewen.

Calm Down :) GRANDSLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
Calm Down  :)      GRANDSLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not quite yet, they're still down. Although I'm feeling a little better now. Maybe with a few roster changes it wouldn't be quite this bad.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
Stern is really making his case here.  How do you feel about Mr. Stern?  Afterall, it's most likely either Stern or Harris for that final roster spot...  :)

Wille is a better rapper :)

But really Stern has looked impressive as hell today both at the plate and in CF. Any reports on Willie so far from camp?

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
Wille is a better rapper :)

But really Stern has looked impressive as hell today both at the plate and in CF.  Any reports on Willie so far from camp?

There was an article on redsox.com about him just a few days ago, let me bring it up. Let me tell you, I'm quickly becoming quite the fan.

At this point Willie's on the team in my opinion, however, being that Stern has only 11 more days until he's property of the Red Sox, Willie might start the year at Pawtucket and be called up at a time when Stern (picked up in the rule-5) wouldnt have to be sent back to Atlanta.

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- It was getting late on the night of Oct. 26, 2005, at Minute Maid Park in Houston. The Astros and White Sox were scratching hard for runs in Game 4 of the World Series, and it was a fruitless exercise for seven long innings.

Then came a burst of energy off the bench named Willie Harris, and he excitedly dug in against hard-throwing Astros closer Brad Lidge.

With the chance to win the World Series, Harris, who had been used sparingly in the postseason (not to mention the regular season), wasn't going to let the opportunity slip away.

So after falling behind, 0-2, he got back into the count at 2-2 and then raked a single to left, setting in motion what would wind up the only run in a monumental 1-0 victory for the White Sox.

Harris, a non-roster invitee who is determined to win a bench spot with the Red Sox this spring, moved to second on a bunt, scooted to third on a grounder to the right side and scored on Jermaine Dye's single up the middle.

That was then, and Harris will soon have a World Series ring to commemorate scoring the only run in the clinching game for the White Sox, a team that hadn't won the World Series since 1917.

"You know, I look at it like this: no one else can tell you they scored the winning run in the 2005 World Series," said Harris. "Somebody may have done it in another year, but just to be able to go out and contribute and let your teammates know that you're there, win or lose ... it made me feel really good on the inside. ... If I never do anything else in this game, that's something I can claim."

What he'll try to do for the Red Sox this year is a little of everything. Second base? Harris can play that. If you need an emergency shortstop, he can do that, too. Outfield? Harris, who started for the Red Sox at center field in Saturday's exhibition game, plays all three spots. Speed? With 10 stolen bases in just 56 games last year, Harris clearly has more than most of his Red Sox teammates.

Much like he did for the White Sox late that night in October, what Harris hopes to provide for the Red Sox is energy in the late innings.

"Yeah, I definitely feel that way. Playing small ball, that's my game," Harris said. "You look throughout the lineup, you don't really have guys that play that game anymore here. You've got guys like [David Ortiz], Manny [Ramirez] and Trot [Nixon] -- big power guys [and] you also need that small man in there to set the table a little bit -- and we do have that in Coco [Crisp] and Mark Loretta. It's just good to have another one, just in case. If that's going to be my role, I'm looking forward to it."

The diminutive and athletic Harris, who talks fast and casually does backflips during the down time of Spring Training drills, likes his "little engine that could" persona.

spring training 2006

News and features:

• Sore knee holding Huckaby back

• Pauley, Sox fall to Marlins

• Manny shows no rust in spring debut

• Schilling adds two pitches to his arsenal

• Red Sox notes: Manny's still in the groove

• Flaherty announces his retirement

Multimedia:

• March 7 galleries: Part 1 | Part 2

• March 3 photo gallery

• Petraglia on Manny's mindset

• Browne on Manny's first day in camp

• March 1 photo gallery

• Feb. 28 galleries: Part 1 | Part 2

Spring Training info:

• MLB.com coverage | Schedule | Ballpark | Tickets

"There's all kinds of ways you can get on the field when you're a small guy and you play small ball: you make all the fundamental plays, all the routine plays," said Harris. "I think that's really working for me right now."

It clearly worked for him during his moment of glory in the World Series.

Harris can remember every detail about his at-bat with Lidge.

"He had me down 0-2, [and] I thought he was going to throw me a curveball," Harris said. "[but] he mixed it up with another fastball for a ball [to make the count 1-2]. Then he came back with another curveball in the dirt, [running the count to] 2-2. And now I'm thinking, 'You know, he doesn't want to go 3-2 on me, because he doesn't want to take a chance to walk me.' So right now in my mind, I'm getting ready to hit, right here. He's throwing 98 miles an hour, so you better get ready. got a pitch that I could handle, and I got good wood on it. It was outstanding. Outstanding."

Though the moment was a little more than four months ago, Harris knows that the Red Sox could need a similar spark seven months from now. And if they call his name in the late innings, Harris will be ready.

That was easy.