Your Favorite Supreme Court Justice

Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
By comparing Bush to Hitler, you certainly earned it.

The points, which you understand perfectly well, are that:

a ) an evil thing full blown is easy enough to see, but an evil thing in its incipient stages may not be.

b ) the "it can't happen here" mentality exhibited by yourself and like-minded individuals is naive, frightening, and dangerous.

No, I'm not suggesting this administration or a NeoCon successor to it is going to conduct a literal pogrom. But figuratively they are doing just that. Conducting an organized massacre of our civil liberties and of any meaningful checks on executive power, threatening members of the media with prosecution if they go to print with whistleblower stories damaging to the administration, reclassifying documents that have previously been unclassified, scuttling the careers of qualified career government workers who dare to offer dissenting viewpoints. . .

Wingnut rhetoric would opine that it is unpatriotic not to support the President and his administration. But anybody paying attention would conclude that the truly unpatriotic act is to watch silently as they defile the very things that make America great.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
The points, which you understand perfectly well, are that:

a ) an evil thing full blown is easy enough to see, but an evil thing in its incipient stages may not be.

b ) the "it can't happen here" mentality exhibited by yourself and like-minded individuals is naive, frightening, and dangerous.

You're right, only elite liberals know what's really going on. In fact, they have a secret crystal ball (reportedly hidden somewhere on Harvard's campus). The rest of us are just a bunch of uneducated, church-going, pickup truck-driving morons who dig ditches for a living. Thanks for enlightenging us.

Wingnut rhetoric would opine that it is unpatriotic not to support the President and his administration.

You're painting with too broad a brush here. I don't support all of the Bush administration's policies.

But anybody paying attention would conclude that the truly unpatriotic act is to watch silently as they defile the very things that make America great.

It was equally "unpatriotic" of this President's predecessor to sit on his ass and do nothing while al Qaeda carried out attacks against U.S. interests in the Middle East (not to mention the unsuccessful attack on the WTC at the beginning of his first term). I'll stick with the guy who makes an effort to deal with the situation, rather than the one who is afraid to make political waves and chooses to look the other way and endanger the lives of the American people.

Call me a jingo, but captured foreign terrorists and political hack journalists who illegally obtain and release classified information aren't going to get my support. Something tells me that the Founding Fathers didn't intend for the Constitution to protect criminal behavior at the expense of law-abiding citizens.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
Call me a jingo, but captured foreign terrorists and political hack journalists who illegally obtain and release classified information aren't going to get my support.  Something tells me that the Founding Fathers didn't intend for the Constitution to protect criminals at the expense of law-abiding citizens.

Actually, the Constitution was in fact meant to protect criminals to some extent, and sometimes it is at the expense of the rest of us. Consequences of living in a just society.

And what the heck is a jingo?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
Actually, the Constitution was in fact meant to protect criminals to some extent, and sometimes it is at the expense of the rest of us.  Consequences of living in a just society.

And what the heck is a jingo?

I changed it to "criminal behavior." That's what I meant to say. And of course I understand that all American citizens (even criminals) have some basic rights.

A jingo is somebody who is excessively patriotic.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 08:48 PM)

political hack journalists who illegally obtain and release classified information aren't going to get my support.  Something tells me that the Founding Fathers didn't intend for the Constitution to protect criminal behavior at the expense of law-abiding citizens.

you're right, political hack politicians that classify their illegal activities will get your full fledged support, though! VIVA LA LEMMING

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
A jingo is somebody who is excessively patriotic.

Jingo goes well beyond marked patriotism. Jingoinsm is extreme nationalism, usually tinged with feelings of nationalist-based ethnic superiority and a belligerent foreign policy.

I wouldn't presume to call you a jingo. And I'm not personally questioning your patriotism either. That's the card the wingnuts like to play.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
Jingo goes well beyond marked patriotism.  Jingoinsm is extreme nationalism, usually tinged with feelings of nationalist-based ethnic superiority and a belligerent foreign policy.

Hence my use of the word "excessive." (I didn't feel like reaching for the dictionary.)

I wouldn't presume to call you a jingo.  And I'm not personally questioning your patriotism either.  That's the card the wingnuts like to play.

I wasn't inferring that you did. For the record, I wasn't questioning your patriotism, either. No hard feelings.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
If this was soccer, I'd be flashing a yellow card right now.

If I was a girl, I'd be flashing Yellowcard right now.

At ease, Ref, no ejections will be forthcoming.

Tangent: There's actually a pretty good Florida (now California) punk-pop band called Yellowcard.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)
Fixed.

:D

:bang :bang

Give the early stuff (One for the Kids, Underdog) a listen before entirely dismissing them. I think it's better than the Ocean Avenue and other later stuff even though that stuff sold well.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
That was the point.

Duh, now I get the teenege girl reference.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
whoa whoa whoa, i will not sit here and let somebody claim yellowcard is a good band.

Yeah, see? I've heard a bit of music from a band in a recent decade and I'm so proud of myself. Then it turns out everyone who isn't a 14 year old girl agrees they suck. :bang

[/crawls back under his culture rock]

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 04:08 AM)
Duh, now I get the teenege girl reference.

Yeah, see?  I've heard a bit of music from a band in a recent dacade and I'm so proud of myself.  Then it turns out everyone who isn't a 14 year old girl agrees they suck.  :bang

[/crawls back under his culture rock]

haha, you're my boy flaxx don't worry