Spring Training Advice?

sin city sox fan

Thanks again Jim for the tips.....Risky Business sounds great and we may have to head there for the evening action. Will probably just hit Famous Sams for lunch before the game as it appears closer to TEP and can therefore catch a little more March Madness before heading out to see the Sox.

Are you from Tucson? Or have you just been to ST enough to know your way around? If you'll be there this weekend, let me know and I'll definitely buy you a beer (or two) for all your assistance!

Thanks again Jim for the tips.....Risky Business sounds great and we may have to head there for the evening action.  Will probably just hit Famous Sams for lunch before the game as it appears closer to TEP and can therefore catch a little more March Madness before heading out to see the Sox.

Are you from Tucson?  Or have you just been to ST enough to know your way around?  If you'll be there this weekend, let me know and I'll definitely buy you a beer (or two) for all your assistance!

Actually from 29th and Halsted in Bridgeport :bang .

This is the first time I'm not going to Tucson in the last 6 years, for spring training anyways. Will probably go down there this fall. I have always made it a habit to get away from the tourist traps and chain places so I can really learn about a city and its people. To me it's a lot more interesting.

Don't forget about Frog and Firken and Gentle Ben's, just steps from the main gate of U of A. Those two are great for nightlife and directly across the street from one another.

Quickman will be at several games the next 10 days, you may want to drop him a note. He'll be at the Sox-Milwaukee game in Phoenix on Sun. for sure and then several more next week. I understand he will be one of the grounds crew at a game in Surprise :bang or he has a connection and gets to go on the field or something. If you see two guys arguing over that rake they use for the pitchers mound, it will likely be Quickman and Arnie Munoz. :fight

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
Actually from 29th and Halsted in Bridgeport  :bang .

This is the first time I'm not going to Tucson in the last 6 years, for spring training anyways.  Will probably go down there this fall.  I have always made it a habit to get away from the tourist traps and chain places so I can really learn about a city and its people.  To me it's a lot more interesting.

Don't forget about Frog and Firken and Gentle Ben's, just steps from the main gate of U of A.  Those two are great for nightlife and directly across the street from one another.

Quickman will be at several games the next 10 days, you may want to drop him a note.  He'll be at the Sox-Milwaukee game in Phoenix on Sun. for sure and then several more next week.  I understand he will be one of the grounds crew at a game in Surprise  :bang  or he has a connection and gets to go on the field or something.  If you see two guys arguing over that rake they use for the pitchers mound, it will likely be Quickman and Arnie Munoz.    :fight

Yes I will be there the next two weeks, the first week in tucson, and yes I will be on the field in Surprise for the texas game next week, but to be sure, the only rake I will pick up is one that is in a sand trap. But it would not surprise me to see Munoz out there raking because that will be his new job soon.

If you're a golfer I HIGHLY recommend Arizona National. Beautiful course. We played in the afternoon Twilight rate is $85.00.

Had a great time at City Limits Tuesday night. They have a band called Metalhead which plays all the music of the 80's big hair bands. Talk about flashbacks. It looks like they are there for like the next 4 Tuesdays. Beer was cheap and a good time was had by all.

Also, for some reason everybody there thought we were ball players. Even when we told them we weren't they figured we were just saying that. If I was a single guy, I just might have used that to my advantage if ya know what I'm sayin.

Anyway....Tucson was pretty dead cause it was spring break so I'm glad we found a place to party. The night before we went to Maloneys and O'Briens and there was a total of 8 people in both bars. It was looking pretty bleak.

The waitress at City Grill(who also had the bartender ask us if we were baseball players) told us about City Limits and I'm glad she did...it was kind of the perfect crazy night out with the guys we were looking for. City Grill had a pretty dam good steak too. My one buddy got the pizza and said he loved it. All of us liked the food so I guess I would recommend that place as well.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

Anyway....Tucson was pretty dead cause it was spring break so I'm glad we found a place to party.  The night before we went to Maloneys and O'Briens and there was a total of 8 people in both bars.  It was looking pretty bleak. 

The waitress at City Grill(who also had the bartender ask us if we were baseball players) told us about City Limits and I'm glad she did...it was kind of the perfect crazy night out with the guys we were looking for.  City Grill had a pretty dam good steak too.  My one buddy got the pizza and said he loved it.  All of us liked the food so I guess I would recommend that place as well.

Love the City Grill, good bar scene in there too.

Yes, City Limits is a good roadhouse bar, also try the Chicago Bar for live music, it is on Speedway about 3500-4500 East.

O'Malleys and Maloney's (4th Ave.) don't heat up until at least 10 pm. but yeah if it's spring break the crowds are down no matter what. But you'll get a decent crowd in both of those places after 10:30. The Shanty, which is right across the street from Maloney's, is a great place to hang out until things get going. They have a nice indoor/outdoor patio and a slightly older crowd, a few pool tables in the front room and free popcorn. Have a Kronenburg on draft and relax yourself.

Edited by JimH