Abu Ghraib closing down!

FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)

I see no reason to celebrate. This is PR plain and simple. The prison itself was never the problem.

This is like buying a new car for someone after they totalled one during a DUI accident, and hoping they will be more careful.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
I see no reason to celebrate.  This is PR plain and simple.  The prison itself was never the problem.

This is like buying a new car for someone after they totalled one during a DUI accident, and hoping they will be more careful.

There's no celebratory aspect to the post, and yes the detainees are getting transferred to other installations (at least it seems like the don't need to be extraordinarily renedered any palce).

But using a place that was already burned in the Iraqi psyche as a site of attrocities under Saddam as a prison was not the smartest idea, even if we hadn't gone and commited our own attrocities there. It was an ignorant insult to the Iraqi people, IMO.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
There's no celebratory aspect to the post, and yes the detainees are getting transferred to other installations (at least it seems like the don't need to be extraordinarily renedered any palce).

But using a place that was already burned in the Iraqi psyche as a site of attrocities under Saddam as a prison was not the smartest idea, even if we hadn't gone and commited our own attrocities there.  It was an ignorant insult to the Iraqi people, IMO.

I guess I took the exclamation point in the thread title as such. Once again the electronic medium deceives me.

Just like the first time people started saying we were going to close Abu Ghraib...This whole story appears untrue.

WASHINGTON, March 9, 2006 – The United States always has planned to transfer authority for all detention facilities in Iraq to the Iraqis, but announcements regarding the imminent closure at the Abu Ghraib prison are premature, defense officials said today.

News reports that the U.S. military intends to close Abu Ghraib within the next few months and to transfer its prisoners to other jails are inaccurate, officials said.

There's no specific timetable for that transfer or for closure of the Baghdad prison, they said. Decisions regarding Abu Ghraib and other detention facilities in Iraq will be based largely on two factors: the readiness of Iraq's security forces to assume control of them and infrastructure improvements at the facilities.