Does getting Cintron...

joemg311

How good of a centerfield does Mackowiak play? I was thinking that perhaps we got Cintron so that mack can play everyday in the outfield(mack will no longer be needed as an infield backup) He has proven he can play, is the starting job really Andersons?

Center Field is Brian Anderson's job to lose. Plain and simple. He will have several months to justify that statment, IMO. We left Dye out there until June when half of this site was calling for Borchard to be called up, and that turned out all right.

QUOTE(joemg311 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
How good of a centerfield does Mackowiak play? I was thinking that perhaps we got Cintron so that mack can play everyday in the outfield(mack will no longer be needed as  an infield backup) He has proven he can play, is the starting job really Andersons?

ANderson is starting, Cintron is backup for Uribe primarily.

Everything thus far has pointed towards Anderson starting with Mackowiak getting at least one start a week in the outfield. If there are others more energetic than I today and feel like finding some of Kenny's quotes, I'm sure that would answer this question a little better for you. But, if you want to take me on good faith, Anderson is the starter and Mackowiak looks to be the primary backup for all three outfield positions.

However, I'm still not finding the connection between the acquisiton of Cintron and a starting CF role for Rob Mackowiak.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
Everything thus far has pointed towards Anderson starting with Mackowiak getting at least one start a week in the outfield.  If there are others more energetic than I today and feel like finding some of Kenny's quotes, I'm sure that would answer this question a little better for you.  But, if you want to take me on good faith, Anderson is the starter and Mackowiak looks to be the primary backup for all three outfield positions.

However, I'm still not finding the connection between the acquisiton of Cintron and a starting CF role for Rob Mackowiak.

Well yeah I do agree that everything so far has pointed towrds its being andersons job to lose. But Cintron means that Mack is freed up to play more outfield. Cintron and Ozuna have the infield coverd. I just figure why not start mack if he is going to be the better player out of the gates. But i still have no idea how well he plays centerfield.

QUOTE(joemg311 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
I  just figure why not start mack if he is going to be the better player out of the gates. But i still have no idea how well he plays centerfield.

You have to start BA to see how he is going to do. If you dont start him because you think mack will be better on opening day then BA will never get a chance.

BA is the starting CF and will be unless he sucks for a large fraction of the season, which he wont

QUOTE(joemg311 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Well yeah I do agree that everything so far has pointed towrds its being andersons job to lose. But Cintron means that Mack is freed up to play more outfield.  Cintron and Ozuna have the infield coverd.  I  just figure why not start mack if he is going to be the better player out of the gates. But i still have no idea how well he plays centerfield.

The White Sox are better served to have Mackowiak in a super-utility role. Brian Anderson is this team's starting center-fielder. He projects to be in that position for awhile, so, we need to come to terms with that. Are there going to be some growing pains? Sure. But, show me a big-leaguer that didn't have those pains. If I had to guess, Anderson is going to be a fan-favorite in no time. Give the kid a shot, he's earned it and at the very least, he should be able to replicate Rowand's year at the dish.

He's a former first-round draft selection, he's a guy Kenny has defended consistently, and his ability made Aaron Rowand expendible. Let's all sit back and give BA his shot. Also, to be perfectly honest with you, there is no one else to really man that position at this point in time. Rob Mackowiak is not an everyday center-fielder, I think his defensive play would leave a lot to be desired and with that, we would lose the benefit of his versatility off the bench. As far as minor-leaguers, nothing doing.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
The White Sox are better served to have Mackowiak in a super-utility role.  Brian Anderson is this team's starting center-fielder.  He projects to be in that position for awhile, so, we need to come to terms with that.  Are there going to be some growing pains?  Sure.  But, show me a big-leaguer that didn't have those pains.  If I had to guess, Anderson is going to be a fan-favorite in no time.  Give the kid a shot, he's earned it and at the very least, he should be able to replicate Rowand's year at the dish.

He's a former first-round draft selection, he's a guy Kenny has defended consistently, and his ability made Aaron Rowand expendible.  Let's all sit back and give BA his shot.  Also, to be perfectly honest with you, there is no one else to really man that position at this point in time.  Rob Mackowiak is not an everyday center-fielder, I think his defensive play would leave a lot to be desired and with that, we would lose the benefit of his versatility off the bench.  As far as minor-leaguers, nothing doing.

This thread should end with this post.

Mackowiak, like was already stated, is not a everyday major league CF. He's an extremely versatile super sub that has a respectable career ops+ of 92. He'll hurt you as an everyday CF, but help tremendously as an emergency fill-in and super sub.

BA projects as above average defensively, and average offensively. Yes, he's going to strikout plenty. Yes, he's going to struggle at times. Yes, he'll struggle to hit .260--but he has good pop and draws a few walks too. He's a good bet to beat Arow's OPS from last year while providing slightly inferior defense. He's dirt cheap and can be an asset to the Sox for the next 5 years easily.

Everyone should be happy that KW made a solid if unspectacular draft pick that has come to fruition. Go ask Oakland or the Braves how playing their good young players that were dirt cheap and ready to play has worked out. More often than not, going with youth is scary but necessary to remain competitive for everyone other than the Yankees and Red Sox.