Ryan Sweeney is a monster

GLOAD is GOD

After watching the game today, combined with his already productive spring the inevitability of Ryan Sweeney's stardom may come to be sooner than later. He is bigger and stronger than I expected, granted I havent been able to see him with his glove, but i have still only heard good things. I think he has a chance to be a stud for 2006 sox, who knows, with a strong triple a campaign this year, as a september call up he may eventually make a serious bid for a playoff spot.....thoughts?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's early but I think that the Sox will probably pick up Dye's $6 million team option for 2007 if he stays healthy this season. $6 million is just dirt cheap these days for the kind of production that Dye can provide when he's healthy. And I doubt the Sox want Ryan Sweeney on the roster as a fourth outfielder. I think he could take over for Dye in RF to start the 2008 season. That would give Sweeney two full seasons to develop his power in the minors.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
I know it's early but I think that the Sox will probably pick up Dye's $6 million team option for 2007 if he stays healthy this season.  $6 million is just dirt cheap these days for the kind of production that Dye can provide when he's healthy.  And I doubt the Sox want Ryan Sweeney on the roster as a fourth outfielder.  I think he could take over for Dye in RF to start the 2008 season.  That would give Sweeney two full seasons to develop his power in the minors.

It's also possible that Dye or Podsednik could be traded after this season. The same reason the White Sox would want Dye...his $6 million option, would make him very attractive to any number of teams that want a corner outfielder who can hit 30 home runs.

It's also possible Dye's injury problems could resurface at some point...so if he gets through this season healthy, that makes him even more desirable. If KW can get Thome for Rowand and a couple minor league pitchers, and get Philly to pay for most of it, he could certainly find someone who could use Dye and give us something we'd enjoy.

That all depends though on what Sweeney does this year in AAA. He has a good year and keeps this power up...it might not hurt to fly with him next year, especially if the other bat guys we have all have good 2006 campaigns.

It's also possible that Dye or Podsednik could be traded after this season.  The same reason the White Sox would want Dye...his $6 million option, would make him very attractive to any number of teams that want a corner outfielder who can hit 30 home runs.

It's also possible Dye's injury problems could resurface at some point...so if he gets through this season healthy, that makes him even more desirable.  If KW can get Thome for Rowand and a couple minor league pitchers, and get Philly to pay for most of it, he could certainly find someone who could use Dye and give us something we'd enjoy.

That all depends though on what Sweeney does this year in AAA.  He has a good year and keeps this power up...it might not hurt to fly with him next year, especially if the other bat guys we have all have good 2006 campaigns.

If Podsednik is traded I think Jerry Owens would replace him in LF, not Sweeney. If Dye gets injured or is traded, I guess they would definately consider calling up Sweeney.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
Agreed, repeat AA and then go to AAA for the 2007 season.

BY 07 he should be in the majors. All he needs is a healthy year in the minors. He has too good of a swing not to succeed. He's been on the fast track already and I'd go more along the lines of a month or two in Bham, rest of the year in Charlotte.

Sweeney may be replacing Anderson and not Dye in the immediate future. I actually think Sweeney could come in and hit better than Brian at the major league level right now.

Anderson has a lot left to prove cause I have my doubts as to how his swing (which is ugly as hell) will work at the major league level.

BY 07 he should be in the majors.  All he needs is a healthy year in the minors.  He has too good of a swing not to succeed.  He's been on the fast track already and I'd go more along the lines of a month or two in Bham, rest of the year in Charlotte. 

Sweeney may be replacing Anderson and not Dye in the immediate future. I actually think Sweeney could come in and hit better than Brian at the major league level right now.

Anderson has a lot left to prove cause I have my doubts as to how his swing (which is ugly as hell) will work at the major league level.

I'm not so sure of that. KW seems to have some serious man-love for Anderson. And who replaces Anderson in CF if Sweeney replaces him? The Sox don't seem to want Podsednik playing CF.

But I agree that Anderson will probably stuggle. He takes some wicked cuts at a lot of bad pitches.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
I'm not so sure of that.  KW seems to have some serious man-love for Anderson.  And who replaces Anderson in CF if Sweeney replaces him?  The Sox don't seem to want Podsednik playing CF.

But I agree that Anderson will probably stuggle.  He takes some wicked cuts at a lot of bad pitches.

I think both Owens and Sweeney will be getting hard looks in 07. One may not be here or both could, but they will be getting looks. Sweeney has played some CF, not that he's amazing out there, but Sweeney is a very good athlete.

I think Anderson has all the tools defensively and offensively, but its a matter of his swing working. Vladdy somehow gets his ugly as hell swing to work so maybe BA can too.

Sweeney on the other hand...just such a sweet swing. Its one of those swings that will translate to a very high average. I've long said I think he'll develop power later on in his career as he learns to drive the inside pitch. I honestly think he could come up and play this year and hit in the .270 range. He'd have to make some adjustments and would struggle at times, but his swing is too good not to (if his wrist is healthy).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
BY 07 he should be in the majors.  All he needs is a healthy year in the minors.  He has too good of a swing not to succeed. He's been on the fast track already and I'd go more along the lines of a month or two in Bham, rest of the year in Charlotte. 

That's the number one thing you hear when baseball minds start talking about Ryan Sweeney. He has the sweet-swing scouts can only dream about.

QUOTE(GLOAD is GOD @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
After watching the game today, combined with his already productive spring the inevitability of Ryan Sweeney's stardom may come to be sooner than later.  He is bigger and stronger than I expected, granted I havent been able to see him with his glove, but i have still only heard good things.  I think he has a chance to be a stud for 2006 sox, who knows, with a strong triple a campaign this year, as a september call up he may eventually make a serious bid for a playoff spot.....thoughts?

Way, way too early to be talking about September call-ups. Ryan is having a great spring. But that's all it is at this point. I'm assuming he's gonna start out the year in AA. Let's see if he can carry what he's doing now into Bham. After that, you have to see how he handles AAA. Ryan still has a long ways to go. He's definitely moving in the right direction, though.

Like others have said, let Sweeney go back to AA and be an everyday play. There is no reason to rush anything with Dye, Pods, Owens, and BA already logjammed in front of him. If he tears it up at AA, then the Sox have some options for 2007.

The Sox still have a glut of higher level outfield prospects even after trading Chris Young and Jeremy Reed.

Ideally for me would be to have every player, Pods, Dye, Anderson, Sweeney, and Owens play well enough this year to make trading a guy like Sweeney for something the Sox need more than outfielders, like pitching and infield prospects, a real possibility.

Sweeney is still a very young 21 and breaking him into the big leagues at 22 in 2007 would be awesome, provided the Sox clear some room in front of him and he puts up great numbers in AA/AAA this year.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
I'd rather have Sweeney be started in some games in CF to see what he can do now...

It's obvious Anderson isn't ready... And Rowand started out as a corner outfielder too...

SWEENEY FOR CF IN 06!!!! Let Anderson get his hacks in AAA...

Barry Bonds will admit he's done steroids before this scenario happens.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
I'd rather have Sweeney be started in some games in CF to see what he can do now...

It's obvious Anderson isn't ready... And Rowand started out as a corner outfielder too...

SWEENEY FOR CF IN 06!!!! Let Anderson get his hacks in AAA...

That's just f***ing ridiculous, there's no way in hell Sweeney is further along in his development than BA. Sweeney will not be starting the year in the bigs he's not even close to ready no matter what you see in Spring Training. Hell, the 3 HRs he has this spring is 3 times as many as he had last year at B-Ham.

If anyone needs more time in the minors it's Sweeney.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
If Sweeney stays hot and Anderson continues to lick balls then I wouldn't put anything past Ozzie. Thats all i'm saying...

How can Anderson not be ready when he produced well enough in AAA for a season, while Sweeney hit about 2 HR's in AA in 2005?

Once again, people take too much into what some players do in Spring Training.