Ryan Sweeney is a monster

GLOAD is GOD

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)
You ignore the fact that Guillen is on the record as being very fond of Brian Anderson.

Please what is he supposed to say.... "All of the players KW gave me suck. I hate all of them. None of them are worth a crap. We are going to totally suck this season."

He sure as hell wouldn't have a job long if he did that...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
Call me old fashioned but there was a time when players earned their jobs based on performances in spring training... Anderson shouldn't just back into the job... If Sweeney does better then lets see if he can play a few games in CF... It sure wouldn't hurt anything...

It would hurt you'd be placing a player on the 40 man roster, giving him a major league deal and starting the arbitration clock and all along this 21 year old is not ready for the big leagues.

He hits a couple HRs off minor league pitchers in Tucson and suddenly he's ready to play every day in the majors at a postion he hasn't even played regularly at.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
I'd rather have Sweeney be started in some games in CF to see what he can do now...

It's obvious Anderson isn't ready... And Rowand started out as a corner outfielder too...

SWEENEY FOR CF IN 06!!!! Let Anderson get his hacks in AAA...

Sweeney cant play CF. I know you are hurt with the loss of Rowand, and you are mad at the heir apparent because you think his presense made A-row expendable, but just let it go. Anderson is our starting Cf'er, he is the most ready and most able defensively. That is all that matters, bar none. Sweeney will not play for this team while Dye is still affordable IMO. Its nice to see his progression, though.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
Actually I would rather we trade for Griffey Jr, Beltran, Vernon Wells, or any other quality CF...

And what would you give up for these "quality CF's", and for Beltran and Griffey can you find an extra 10-15M in payroll for Jerry Reinsdorf so that he can squeeze them in?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 06:16 PM)
Pablo Ozuna hit like .700 in spring last year.

Didn't Ozuna make the team after last ST?

Ozuna's 2005 Spring stats:

AVG G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI

P Ozuna .527 26 55 13 29 36 5 1 0 8

Sweeney 2006:

AB R H BI AVG OBP SLG OPS

R Sweeney 16 5 8 3 .500 .529 1.063 1.653, 3 HR, BB

Sweeney still has a shot:

Gload also understands that having a productive day such as Thursday, with a home run and two RBIs, can only help his case to edge out Joe Borchard, Jerry Owens and even late charges from Ryan Sweeney and Darren Blakely.
Edited by RME JICO

Didn't Ozuna make the team after last ST?

Ozuna's 2005 Spring stats:

<html><pre>

AVG  G  AB  R  H  TB 2B 3B HR RBI

P Ozuna  .527  26  55  13  29  36  5  1  0  8

<br><br>

Sweeney 2006:

AB  R  H  BI  AVG  OBP  SLG    OPS     

R Sweeney        16  5  8  3  .500  .529  1.063  1.653, 3 HR, BB 

<br><br>

</pre></html>

Sweeney still has a shot:

The difference is that Ozuna was a 30 year old non-roster invitee nobody of a player. He was a highly ranked prospect at one time but that's before he was found to be 4 years older than his listed age. Sweeney is a 21 year old top prospect that the organization is going to take it slow with. They want him to continue to develop his power in the minors, not in the majors as a fourth outfielder where he won't get enough at bats. He's not going to make the opening day roster regardless of how well he hits this spring.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 03:00 AM)
The difference is that Ozuna was a 30 year old non-roster invitee nobody of a player.  He was a highly ranked prospect at one time but that's before he was found to be 4 years older than his listed age.  Sweeney is a 21 year old top prospect that the organization is going to take it slow with.  They want him to continue to develop his power in the minors, not in the majors as a fourth outfielder where he won't get enough at bats.  He's not going to make the opening day roster regardless of how well he hits this spring.

I agree, I would rather take Gload or Borchard who are out of options and let Sweeney, Fields, and Owens get good reps in the minors for a year or two.

However, if he keeps this up for the entire month, it will be interesting.

BTW, Anderson is batting .188, and I thought they said he would still have to win the job. Is he a lock?

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 02:04 AM)
I agree, I would rather take Gload or Borchard who are out of options and let Sweeney, Fields, and Owens get good reps in the minors for a year or two.

BTW, Anderson is batting .188, and I thought they said he would still have to win the job.  Is he a lock?

Kenny has been talkin up Anderson for the longest now. He traded a gold glove caliber cf to make room for the guy. That's not gonna change after 6 or 7 spring training games.

BTW, Anderson is batting .188, and I thought they said he would still have to win the job.  Is he a lock?

You're looking at the numbers far too much and forgetting about defense. Who else do we have besides Anderson that could be a full-time starter in CF?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 03:49 AM)
You're looking at the numbers far too much and forgetting about defense.  Who else do we have besides Anderson that could be a full-time starter in CF?

You have to take everything into consideration. I am just speculating on previous comments by both Ozzie and KW. There are now articles listing Sweeney and Blakely as in the running for the final roster spot along with Gload, Borch, and Owens. So there is still a possibility that someone other than Anderson makes the team, even though it is probably a very slim possibility.

Personally I would like to see Anderson in CF but if he continues to struggle do you think they would reconsider?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
Sweeney on the other hand...just such a sweet swing.  Its one of those swings that will translate to a very high average.  I've long said I think he'll develop power later on in his career as he learns to drive the inside pitch.  I honestly think he could come up and play this year and hit in the .270 range.  He'd have to make some adjustments and would struggle at times, but his swing is too good not to (if his wrist is healthy).

I completely agree. The fact that Ryan has made adjustments as the years have gone on, and upped his average hitting better later in the year [iIRC, each yr], shows he has the ability to hit for a high avg.

Despite our disagreements over Anderson or Sweeney or...several other possible players, aren't we fortunate to have so many options? Sweeney would make if not the starting roster for sure the team roster of half the clubs in MLB today.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
You ignore the fact that Guillen is on the record as being very fond of Brian Anderson.

Don't forget the first spring of Ozzie's managerial career with the Sox, Sweeney absolutely tore the cover off teh ball. It was so good that the Sox said they would have felt comfortable having him coming off the bench (not that they were going to do it).

Injuries are the sole reason his numbers haven't been as amazing as you'd expect. But one look at his swing compared to Anderson tells me all I need to know about who will be the better hitter. That said Anderson has more power now and if he can find a way to put up the numbers he has in the minors, at the major league level, than I'd be really happy (and I'm talking in a couple years from now cause this year I think your gonna see a lot of ugly hacks from him).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
Defensively, Anderson is far more ready.  He's far more capable of being very good in CF. Offensively, I don't think I'd say Anderson is more ready.

What's more important at this point in time? Having a player in CF how you're confident in his defense day in and day out or having a guy who can hit a little better but is a giant question mark in CF defensively.

It comes down to:

below average offense + above average defense

or

average to above average offense + questionable defense

IMO, we need someone in CF that we know is going to give us solid defense. Also, I'm not a very big fan of BA but I do feel he is the right man for the job at this current point in time.

Don't forget the first spring of Ozzie's managerial career with the Sox, Sweeney absolutely tore the cover off teh ball.  It was so good that the Sox said they would have felt comfortable having him coming off the bench (not that they were going to do it).

Injuries are the sole reason his numbers haven't been as amazing as you'd expect.  But one look at his swing compared to Anderson tells me all I need to know about who will be the better hitter.  That said Anderson has more power now and if he can find a way to put up the numbers he has in the minors, at the major league level, than I'd be really happy (and I'm talking in a couple years from now cause this year I think your gonna see a lot of ugly hacks from him).

Agreed. Sweeney looks like he has great plate presence and can easily tell the difference between a ball and a strike. He looks like he has a good idea of what he wants to do and waits for the pitch he wants to hit. Anderson looks like he's just up there hacking at every pitch. Either way, Anderson has to be our starting CF'er for defense alone.

Edited by SSH2005

Sweeney needs more AB's in the minors. Lets get a year of production from him when he is healthy. He is not a CF so let stop that silly idea. You just cannot plug any OF into the CF position. Ken Griffey Jr should not be a CF now. KGJ has Bernie Williams like range now. Anderson will have some learning curves as far as from the offensive categories, but his defense will be fine. Lets see him get some licks at the plate before we all decide to declare him dead. The Rowand lovers forget that when Rowand came up, he had a hard time hitting, played decent defense, and was ridden on this board and others to be traded or let go. Anderson has hit at every level he has played. He was our number 1 draft choice.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 07:49 AM)
What's more important at this point in time? Having a player in CF how you're confident in his defense day in and day out or having a guy who can hit a little better but is a giant question mark in CF defensively.

It comes down to:

below average offense + above average defense

or

average to above average offense + questionable defense

IMO, we need someone in CF that we know is going to give us solid defense. Also, I'm not a very big fan of BA but I do feel he is the right man for the job at this current point in time.

Agreed. I've long said Anderson has the job, but if he stinks the first month and a half of the regular season (ie, hits like he did all of last year with the big club) than I think the team has to look somewhere else.

I don't know how well Mackoviak can play CF and Sweeney has only played it a bit, but he's a good athlete and a very under-rated defensive player. I wouldn't mind giving him a little playing time this spring just to see what he can do. Never hurts to have more options.

However, I have also long said Anderson has all the talent. I just think he's the type of guy who has a very high maintenance swing. When he makes contact he tends to hit it hard, but his swing is rather violent and those type of swings seem to get out of whack easily. Plus he has a hell of a time hitting breaking balls at the major league level. Defensively he has the tools (range, strong arm) and I'm confident that he'll develop (but this year he won't be amazing out there; Rowand wasn't either his first year, it takes a lot of hard work).

Sweeney needs more AB's in the minors.  Lets get a year of production from him when he is healthy.  He is not a CF so let stop that silly idea.  You just cannot plug any OF into the CF position.  Ken Griffey Jr should not be a CF now.  KGJ has Bernie Williams like range now.  Anderson will have some learning curves as far as from the offensive categories, but his defense will be fine.  Lets see him get some licks at the plate before we all decide to declare him dead.  The Rowand lovers forget that when Rowand came up, he had a hard time hitting, played decent defense, and was ridden on this board and others to be traded or let go.  Anderson has hit at every level he has played.  He was our number 1 draft choice.

Yep, some people seem to forget that Rowand was a 4th outfielder before the past two seasons. Anderson is a 1st round pick but he's still in his rookie season. It's not fair to compare him to Rowand.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 07:55 AM)
^^^  Yep, some people seem to forget that Rowand was a 4th outfielder before the past two seasons.  Anderson is a 1st round pick in his rookie season.  It's not fair to compare him to Rowand.

Rowand was a 2nd round pick out of a very prestigious baseball school (Fullerton). Those two aren't all that different. Rowand produced at almost ever level as well and tools wise they are similar players. Good arm strength, good range, questionable offensive abilities.

Rowand always hit in the minors just as Anderson has. The issue to me has long been the swings weren't the greatest and they had holes. I loved Rowand and will still be rooting for him, but he's gone. Anderson is a very similar player who could turn into a similar defensive player (with hard work) and possibly a better offensive player.

Rowand did have a much more compact swing, especially when he would have his hot streaks (which he never had last year). I actually think last year will be one of Rowand's worse offensive seasons of his career as a starter.

Obviously Anderson won't be the reason we win or lose the division. But if he's hitting .188 a month and a half into the season, this team needs to go somewhere else.

My point is that Anderson is still a rookie. It took time for Rowand to develop into the player that he is today. I think a few people are expecting Anderson to be as good as Rowand THIS SEASON. That's just not realistic.