Ryan Sweeney is a monster

GLOAD is GOD

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
I dont know if I do.  Owens is a butcher in the field from what I have seen.  There is no reason to believe he will ever be as good defensively as Brian Anderson.

He qualified his statement with this....

However if Pods has a good year, Owens kicks butt and makes a lot of progress in CF (defensively)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
He qualified his statement with this....

I read that, but I dont even think Owens projects to be a CF'er or nearly as good in CF as Anderson defensively. I see Owens in LF, Anderson in CF and Sweeney in RF, am i wrong?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
I read that, but I dont even think Owens projects to be a CF'er or nearly as good in CF as Anderson defensively.  I see Owens in LF, Anderson in CF and Sweeney in RF, am i wrong?

That would be nice, however that outfield would lack power and developing that many in house outfielders so close together will be tough. To do that this team will have to get more than normal power from the infield and very strong pitching.

Realistically at least one of those 3 will fail and there is a shot that one of those 3 will be traded.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
You are optimistic.

We can afford to be fairly optimistic right now, with Thome, Konerko, Buehrle, Garland, Jenks, and BMac around. Those guys seem good enough to cover up a few other deficiencies in the next few years if they do crop up.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
I read that, but I dont even think Owens projects to be a CF'er or nearly as good in CF as Anderson defensively.  I see Owens in LF, Anderson in CF and Sweeney in RF, am i wrong?

Regarding Anderson vs Owens in CF, you are not wrong. But, I was responding to the post as it was written.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
That would be nice, however that outfield would lack power and developing that many in house outfielders so close together will be tough.  To do that this team will have to get more than normal power from the infield and very strong pitching. 

Realistically at least one of those 3 will fail and there is a shot that one of those 3 will be traded.

Well, if Anderson and Sweeney can amount to 20 hr's each. That would suffice. Konerko and Thome will still be here under contract, either joe or Fields can both produce a decent amount of power as well. Plus the contracts would be small enough to give us flexibility to keep our pitching staff intact when need be. Buehrle is going to command a large sum of cash when its his turn.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)
Well, if Anderson and Sweeney can amount to 20 hr's each.  That would suffice.  Konerko and Thome will still be here under contract, either joe or Fields can both produce a decent amount of power as well.  Plus the contracts would be small enough to give us flexibility to keep our pitching staff intact when need be.  Buehrle is going to command a large sum of cash when its his turn.

But 2 years after this season (which is when that outfield would be in place), I don't think you can be counting on Thome as guaranteed Hr's.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
Anderson 3.5 blue stars  58 contact 60 gap 55 power 34 discipline/eye 27 Avoid Ks

Sweeney 4 blue stars 52 contact 48 gap 50 power 39 discipline/eye 38 Avoid Ks

;)

I have absolutely no idea what those numbers mean.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
Anderson 3.5 blue stars  58 contact 60 gap 55 power 34 discipline/eye 27 Avoid Ks

Sweeney 4 blue stars 52 contact 48 gap 50 power 39 discipline/eye 38 Avoid Ks

;)

pfft, I like 1-10 ratings more than 1-100 :P

Then again, I'm just more used to 1-10

This crazy talk about BA not being the starting CF if he hits .188 until the middle of may should stop now. He's not a high average hitter. Never will be. And wasn't Jermaine Dye struggling against the mendoza line in mid May last year? The point is that it's a small sample size, too small to get a judge on how BA is going to perform over the course of the season. Plus, who do the Sox have other than BA to play CF? Mackowiak? Pods? No and no. Mackowiak won't hit much any better than BA, and his defense will be much worse. Pods' defense will be worse than BA's, and then who plays LF?

Sweeney will never play CF in MLB, at least not for a team that has a league average player out there. He hasn't even played above the AA level yet, and he hits 3 homers off some scrubs in 80 degree thin air and he's ready for a starting gig over BA, Dye, and Pods? Get real. He's a gifted prospect, for him to be so far along at 21 is a good sign, but it doesn't make up for the fact that he struggled with power at AA last year. Injuries played a large role, so why not let him get some real confidence this year in AAA or AA when he's healthy?

The abritration clock is a great point, I believe Kalapse made it first (things get fuzzy through 7 pages in one sitting), and why waste options and cheap years for Sweeney so he can sit on the bench 99% of the time?

BA is the starting CF, and will be the whole season barring a total collapse or an injury. That's the reality of the situation for the Sox. Sure, I'd like a stud in CF, but the Sox have studs elsewheres that allow below average offense from CF. Defense is almost always there, and as long as he plays a good CF, he will and he should be out there.