Everett takes jab -- moves too disruptive?

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Moves too disruptive?

Everett takes jab; McCarthy getting more comfortable

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Carl Everett was one of general manager Ken Williams' favorite players during the parts of three seasons that the switch-hitting designated hitter played for the White Sox.

In fact, Williams gave up six Minor Leaguers in total to acquire Everett in two trades from Texas and Montreal. Everett also played a key role on and off the field during the 2005 World Series title drive.

But where the White Sox fortunes for 2006 are concerned, Everett and Williams will agree to strongly disagree.

Everett made the trip from Peoria, Ariz., to Tucson on Thursday, starting at designated hitter and hitting fifth for the Mariners, who are his fifth team since 2001. He finished hitless in three at-bats, but the biggest noise Everett made came during a talk with a group of Chicago beat writers before the first pitch.

In Everett's estimation, his last employers would have been in a stronger current position without the offseason changes made by Williams. When asked if he thought the White Sox could repeat their magical 2005 campaign, Everett was very direct with his lack of support.

"Being me, and being honest, I'm going to say, no, they can't repeat," said Everett, during an eight-minute interview prior to Thursday's contest. "They are not going to have the same chemistry.

"A lot of the chemistry in that clubhouse is gone. [Aaron] Rowand, myself, even Willie [Harris] and Frank [Thomas]. We all had a presence in there and now the new guys will have to fit in. You are bringing in guys to fit in."

The players Everett listed were leaders in his mind, individuals who would step up and push the team during tough times. He doesn't believe that level of leadership still exists with the White Sox, although he did point out that catcher A.J. Pierzynski could emerge as the surprise voice of the team.

It's the best overall team who earned the World Series victories in each of the last six years, not the team with the best talent, as Everett explained.

"I mean, you need everyone together," Everett said. "That's what it is. It won't take one person, but if nobody speaks up, you can't get that togetherness because someone will have to say we have to play together for those 27 outs.

"You don't have any voices in there to say, 'Hey, let's get this going,'" Everett added.

A $5 million option on Everett for 2006 was declined by the White Sox in October, as Everett pointed out he was the first player to exit from the World Series champions when the team exercised a $500,000 buyout. He wouldn't comment directly on the moves made by Williams, but Everett did point out that the Yankees were the last team to repeat and they did so by keeping the core group intact.

Williams took the high road when questioned about Everett's comments after the game, wishing him the best in Seattle and adding that he goes there with his highest recommendation. That moment of good feeling didn't last long, as Williams had an animated talk with Everett in the players' parking lot shortly thereafter.

But when questioned about a change of opinion after the two spoke, Everett held true to his original thoughts.

"Nothing has changed. There are no problems. Interpret it how you want to interpret it," said Everett, who hit .251 with 87 RBIs for the White Sox last year.

"It's going to be interesting. I'm not going to knock them totally," said Everett in his talk before the game. "They are going to have some work to do because of the newness. Guys are going to have to learn each other, but I guess that's what Spring Training is for. Guys won last year and they should know what it takes."

What a relief: Once Brandon McCarthy stopped thinking and started throwing during Thursday's start against the Mariners at Tucson Electric Park, he looked and felt like the pitcher with a 1.69 ERA during his final seven games last season.

"When I slowed things down and started focusing on pitch to pitch, the last two innings felt as good as I did at any time last year," said McCarthy, who allowed two earned runs in four innings, while striking out three. "I knew where the pitch was going. I felt I was doing things I wanted to do.

"It was a good outing to build on," McCarthy added.

Although McCarthy will be working from the bullpen in the regular season, working as a starter right now still is reaping its benefits. He pointed out that if he were to come in as a reliever and throw just 13 or 14 pitches, he wouldn't be nearly ready once the season came around.

McCarthy also knows he soon will be eased into his future relief role by possibly working out of the stretch for one entire inning during his next start Tuesday at home against Arizona.

"For right now, it's kind of what I was doing last year -- bullpen with training wheels," McCarthy said. "I wouldn't be surprised if they take them off and say that I have to go when they call me and need me, even if it's back-to-back days."

Stating his case: When the White Sox acquired Jim Thome, Ross Gload heard talk from various people that his time in Chicago had come to an end. But that thought never crossed Gload's mind.

"I honestly haven't thought about that, and I honestly don't want that to happen," Gload said. "I want to be on this team. They know me, I know the organization and I'm comfortable here."

Factoring in Wednesday's trade for utility infielder Alex Cintron and Williams' statement that the team is going to take 11 pitchers, barring injury, Gload knows there's one roster spot remaining. He also understands that having a productive day such as Thursday, with a home run and two RBIs, can only help his case to edge out Joe Borchard, Jerry Owens and even late charges from Ryan Sweeney and Darren Blakely.

Even with the roster numbers sitting squarely in front of him, Gload is trying not to apply any extra pressure during the final few weeks in Arizona. He just needs to hit as he always has in his career.

"You go out and play and not do anything I can't do," Gload said. "Be myself. They know what I can do."

Third to first: Freddy Garcia struck out seven over 3 1/3 innings to lead Venezuela to a 6-0 victory over Italy Wednesday night in the World Baseball Classic. "It's probably good for Freddy to push himself in a big game like that this early on," White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper said. ... Manager Ozzie Guillen will not be present for Friday's Cactus League game against the Giants. He is making a one-day trip back to Venezuela to deal with issues concerning a baseball academy he's opening there. The White Sox are working in conjunction with Guillen on the academy.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll respectfully disagree with Evertt's opinion. And I hope people don't start slamming him now. I don't buy the chemistry arguement. Chemistry is something you build over time. The '05 team didn't have the same chemistry in March that they had in October. That had to evolve. Thome, Mack, Vazquez and Cintron will fit in just fine. If we don't repeat, it won't be because of chemistry.

Carl Everett doesn't think that the White Sox can repeat?

He also doesn't believe in Dinosaurs, so...

In all seriousness (as opposed to fifty-percent seriousness above), I appreciate that he didn't, you know, viciously lash out at the Sox, and he's entitled to his opinion.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
Carl you can shut your mouth, just shut your mouth

I didn't get that impression at all.

Carl, like our manager, is going to speak his mind. His so-called "clubhouse cancer" stigma was proved false in our clubhouse and I think everyone in the White Sox organization wouldn't consider his comments cheap shots. Sour grapes? Could be. But, I honestly just feel like he was speaking his mind.

He was a part of something very special last year; if anyone knew how tight-knit that clubhouse was, it'd be him.

He makes a valid claim.

"I mean, you need everyone together," Everett said. "That's what it is. It won't take one person, but if nobody speaks up, you can't get that togetherness because someone will have to say we have to play together for those 27 outs.

Carl that man who does this is named Ozzie Guillen.

We will be fine.

I love that Everett and Thomas are making the same argument, yet neither has ever been seen to be a clubhouse leader. I haven't heard Rowand make these comments, not that he has necessarily been asked, but he actually contributed to the chemistry.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
Carl that man who does this is named Ozzie Guillen. 

We will be fine.

I'm with you. If Carl thinks he was the glue that held that thing together, I think he is mistaken, but, I think his concern about losing some of that chemistry is pretty valid.

Don't forget, these athletes don't necessarily take courses on how to deal with the media. Playing your old team for the first time, some Sox beat-reporter puts a mic in your face, you might say something less eloquent that what you hoped for.

Carl leaves with a Grade A in my book. He was class through-and-through during his time with the Sox and I honestly hope he finds success with the M's.

QUOTE(G&T @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
I love that Everett and Thomas are making the same argument, yet neither has ever been seen to be a clubhouse leader. I haven't heard Rowand make these comments, not that he has necessarily been asked, but he actually contributed to the chemistry.

I'd be stunned if Rowand ever made comments like these.

Williams took the high road when questioned about Everett's comments after the game, wishing him the best in Seattle and adding that he goes there with his highest recommendation. That moment of good feeling didn't last long, as Williams had an animated talk with Everett in the players' parking lot shortly thereafter.

Carl was just pissed about the date that KW had set to trade for him this season. Sorry Kalapse. ;)

Edited by SSH2005

I kind of agree with him. I mean, you had at least 2 big presences in that locker room. Everyone on that team loved Carl Everett. And yeah they had great chemistry starting off because most of these guys were here the previous year. You're bringing in a bunch of new people now and expecting some of them to take leadership roles. Honestly, I don't think PK is a leader. I kind of got that impression when he really didn't want to wear the "C". It seems like he doesn't want to be responsible if the team is doing bad.

Don't confuse my statements as saying I don't think we could win it this year. I think we have as good as shot as anybody else, but chemistry is certainly a factor.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:20 PM)
I kind of agree with him. I mean, you had at least 2 big presences in that locker room. Everyone on that team loved Carl Everett. And yeah they had great chemistry starting off because most of these guys were here the previous year. You're bringing in a bunch of new people now and expecting some of them to take leadership roles. Honestly, I don't think PK is a leader. I kind of got that impression when he really didn't want to wear the "C". It seems like he doesn't want to be responsible if the team is doing bad.

Don't confuse my statements as saying I don't think we could win it this year. I think we have as good as shot as anybody else, but chemistry is certainly a factor.

Konerko just saw it as silly and unneccessary to have a Captain on a Baseball team, and he didn't want to be put above the team, even if only symbollically.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:20 PM)

Podsednik, Dye, Iguchi, Pierzynski, El Duque, McCarthy, Vizcaino, Jenks, Ozuna, Blum, and Hermanson were not on the team before last year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
That sort of talk has been picking up of late. It seems it bothers me now more than ever.

You should lose that sig. Rob's a Fraud. He was in the booth with Hawk and DJ today and didn't know who Tony Phillips was. I thought he was a sox fan. He was 21 when Tony Phillips had nearly 600 Ab's for us in 1997.

Should Carl even be starting everyday for the Mariners at this stage of his career?

As for his comments, well let everybody write us off. We played the underdog card last year and that worked out just fine.

And how can Willie Harris and Frank Thomas actually be interpreted being important in terms of chemistry in the clubhouse?

Meh...just Carl being Carl. No offense to Carl, cause he seems to be a decent guy, but its hard to take anything he says seriously. His words have kind of turned him into a walking punchline throughout his career.

But I've said it previously about Frank: nobody likes to be dumped, and I can't blame him for being unhappy about it. Don't agree with him, but whatever. He'll get over it. And I'm sure this current team has already moved on.