Everett takes jab -- moves too disruptive?

SSH2005

QUOTE(Scott Reifert @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 9:40 AM)
Thanks, Carl

We would like to thank Carl Everett for his public challenge to our team and public projection that we will finish third in the American League.  I see it as just a little more motivation for us. (John Wayne photo added to blog as reminder.)

Gotta love the line from Reifert's Blog this morning.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)
Carl thanks for your efforts last year, but as this is 2006, STFU.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
I nominate this for the best post in this thread.

no, that was the worst post in this thread. that blind go-team-go attitude, to the point of completely forgetting the contributors you rooted for in 05...it's just embarassing to read.

Carl's hitting nearly carried us at the beginning of the year, a part of the season where more talented Sox teams in the past have shot themselves in the foot for good. he covered Jermaine's comatose bat early in the year, Jermaine covered his later. Carl also hit near .450 in the series.

he argued his points well, takes no cheap shots, and actually represents the same beliefs of some still-diehard Sox fans. i dont see anything here inappropriate, and we'll just have to see whether KW's plans were right.

i personally like our moves, but i'm not going to insult Carl's take on this.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
no, that was the worst post in this thread.  that blind go-team-go attitude, to the point of completely forgetting the contributors you rooted for in 05...it's just embarassing to read. 

welcome to the world of professional sports.

no, that was the worst post in this thread.  that blind go-team-go attitude, to the point of completely forgetting the contributors you rooted for in 05...it's just embarassing to read. 

Carl's hitting nearly carried us at the beginning of the year, a part of the season where more talented Sox teams in the past have shot themselves in the foot for good.  he covered Jermaine's comatose bat early in the year, Jermaine covered his later.  Carl also hit near .450 in the series. 

he argued his points well, takes no cheap shots, and actually represents the same beliefs of some still-diehard Sox fans.  i dont see anything here inappropriate, and we'll just have to see whether KW's plans were right. 

Lets get back to reality . I thank all of our contributers to the 2005 season, however I am not going to sit here and say that their comments in 2006 get a blind eye when they make wacky predictions of us placing 3rd because we made a changeover of a few players. If he feels that our chemistry has changed nice, next time someone shoves a mike in your face talk about your team "the seattle mariners", the one you are currently are on. 2005 is over. Turn the page, because I guarentee you the team has.. And as many a person can tell you on this board, I am not a sox apologist or homer by any means. Carl had his moments, but lets not act like he was a saint and the ultimate team player. Carl was all team until he got dropped from the 3 hole where he wasnt producing to the 6 hole. Remember he went to the press about it. This was when we were fighting for our playoffs lives mind you. Ozzie snapped him back in line and we luckily found a 3 hole hitter for the playoffs. Someone making a comment that Willie Freakin Harris is the glue that held the team together is a bit overstating their case. There was an article last season that KW got pissed when WH was packing his s*** up after the As series in his locker because he thought he was getting shipped out. The vocal leader on this team is Ozzie. End of story. I dont hear nasty things coming from Aaron Rowand who I think was more valuable to our season last year than Carl or Willie Harris. Thank you ex whitesox members for your contribution to 2005. You will forever be remembered. Enjoy your ring, and move on.

Lets revere 2005, but lets remember that season is now preserved forever on commemorative DVD. Lets look forward to 2006 as the defending champs and lets kick some ass with the team we are now.

“A lot of times a GM doesn’t see the player’s perspective. I see Frank’s perspective. I’ve been (playing) 16 years. If it was me, I would want more than throwing out the first pitch or holding the trophy. I would want more. That’s me as a player.

Anyone else see that as being to much greedy? That kind of made me frown.

We all had a presence in there and now the new guys will have to fit in. You are bringing in guys to fit in."

The same thing happened last year and look what happened, dumbass :P

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
Carl was all team until he got dropped from the 3 hole where he wasnt producing to the 6 hole.  Remember he went to the press about it.  This was when we were fighting for our playoffs lives mind you. Ozzie snapped him back in line and we luckily found a 3 hole hitter for the playoffs. 

if someone gets dropped from the three hole, i want them to get angry. that's part of loving to compete, part of wanting that pressure on you. i've never understood why some fans want players to take any demotion absolutely quietly. they're going to be upset, whether they talk to media or not, so dont fool yourself.

you make a good point that his prediction borders on cattiness, but thats about all i see one could take issue with. so what if he stands up for Willie? they were teammates. actually, that first point you make accuses him of not supporting his teammates, and in this Willie issue you accuse of him doing so to excess? which one is it?

Edited by Princess Dye

Carl's hitting nearly carried us at the beginning of the year, a part of the season where more talented Sox teams in the past have shot themselves in the foot for good.  he covered Jermaine's comatose bat early in the year, Jermaine covered his later.  Carl also hit near .450 in the series. 

he argued his points well, takes no cheap shots, and actually represents the same beliefs of some still-diehard Sox fans.  i dont see anything here inappropriate, and we'll just have to see whether KW's plans were right. 

I nominate this for the best post in this thread.

:cheers

His comments weren't really mean-spirited, so I wouldn't call them a "jab." I think that he raises a legitimate point, although Thome is a tremendous clubhouse guy.

Even more important for the Sox this past October was that a bunch of mediocre or good-but-not-great players played at a level far above their career averages: Crede (both offensively and defensively), Uribe (defensively), Garland, Contreras, Cotts, etc. Podsednik hit a freaking walk-off homer in the WS.

On paper, I think that the Sox were maybe the third- or fourth-best team in the majors last year. But they stepped up and played incredible baseball in September and October, while the "better" teams either had injury problems or just flat-out didn't get it done. With Thome and Vazquez, they're a better team on paper than they were last year, but they're still going to need guys to step up during the playoffs again if they're to repeat. Not to mention stay healthy.

Edited by WCSox

White Sox respond to Everett

Associated Press

Major League Baseball News Wire

TUCSON, Ariz. - The Chicago White Sox responded Friday to former teammate Carl Everett's comments that the team lacks leadership and will finish third in the AL Central.

They wished him well with the Seattle Mariners, said they enjoyed playing with him. And, yes, they showed some sarcasm.

"Maybe he's right; maybe 'The Truth' has spoken," first baseman and captain Paul Konerko said, referring to Everett's nickname.

A day earlier, Everett said his former team lacks a vocal leader and Konerko isn't the answer. He criticized the moves general manager Ken Williams made during the offseason, saying, "They are not going to have the same chemistry." And Everett sided with former White Sox slugger Frank Thomas in his feud with Williams.

Pitcher Mark Buehrle suggested Thomas and Everett are "disappointed" because the White Sox bought them out after last season.

"I think they have some hard feelings that way," Buehrle said. "We're not going to let that affect us. If people want to say we don't have team leaders, that's their own thought."

Williams called Thomas "an idiot" after the two-time AL MVP unloaded on the organization in an interview with the Daily Southtown of Tinley Park, Ill., last month.

In that article, Thomas said he and Williams didn't see eye-to-eye after Williams became the general manager following the 2000 season. Thomas also reiterated that he would he not have participated in several functions during the offseason had he known he would not be back. That became clear when the White Sox re-signed Konerko and traded for Jim Thome before exercising a $3.5 million buyout on Thomas that officially ended his 16-year tenure.

The White Sox declined a $5 million option on Everett and exercised a $500,000 buyout, instead, after he batted .251 with 23 home runs and 87 RBIss.

Without a .300 hitter or 20-game winner, the White Sox captured their first World Series championship since 1917.

"You don't have any voices in there to say, 'Hey, let's get this going," Everett said. "Thome is a nice guy, but I think it's early. Thome will be feeling around (at) first. They have a nice team, but at the same time, who knows?"

Konerko responded, "I guess I'll have to work on my leadership skills."

His teammates said that won't be necessary.

"We don't really need that guy who will get in people's faces," Buehrle said.

And catcher A.J. Pierzynski said manager Ozzie Guillen already fills that role.

But Konerko and Pierzynski also were quick to praise Everett, who raised some eyebrows over his career.

He once head-butted an umpire and spat at Seattle pitcher Jamie Moyer after a home run. He claimed dinosaurs never existed.

Still, the White Sox traded for Everett twice, acquiring him from Texas in 2003 and Montreal in 2004, before letting him go last fall. He then signed with Seattle for $3.4 million this season plus a club option for 2007, making the Mariners his eighth team in 11 years.

"He was fun," Konerko said. "I enjoyed having him around. He made us a better team, I thought."

Pierzynski said Everett "did a lot for this team. But he's not here. He's on the Mariners now."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=2363182

QUOTE(G&T @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
I love that Everett and Thomas are making the same argument, yet neither has ever been seen to be a clubhouse leader. I haven't heard Rowand make these comments, not that he has necessarily been asked, but he actually contributed to the chemistry.

Carl was seen as a clubhouse leader with the White Sox.

"Counted out all year, all of em can shut up now, shut up, shut ya mouthes" Sound familiar Carl?

The guys on the Phillies board think that MB's comment about not missing anyone from last year was directed at Arow. Definitley not the case. I also happened to see that Gio and Haigwood aren't doing too well this ST, but then again it doesn't mean anything really.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 12:56 AM)
The guys on the Phillies board think that MB's comment about not missing anyone from last year was directed at Arow. Definitley not the case. I also happened to see that Gio and Haigwood aren't doing too well this ST, but then again it doesn't mean anything really.

The people on the Phillies board aren't too educated on this matter if thats what they think. I'm 99.9% certain that none of the comments in this article were meant towards Aaron Rowand, or even El Duque, both of whom have yet to say anything 'negative' on being dealt.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Guillen laughs at Everett remarks

Says ex-Sox doesn't know real leaders

By Dave van Dyck

Tribune staff reporter

March 12, 2006, 10:50 PM CST

TUCSON, Ariz.—White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen returned Sunday from his quick trip to Venezuela, but he obviously was not out of touch with what had been going on in Arizona.

Guillen said he laughed after hearing Thursday's remarks by Carl "The Truth" Everett intimating the Sox would not be as good this season because of the losses of Aaron Rowand, Willie Harris and Frank Thomas.

"I don't think The Truth was telling the truth about us losing leaders because if [Thomas and Harris] are leaders, he doesn't know what a leader is," Guillen said. "Frank Thomas is not a leader, Willie Harris is not a leader and he's not a leader.

"The thing about this team is we don't need a leader. I'm the leader of this team. I want players. I want people who lead by example, not their mouth."

Everett criticized Guillen for naming Paul Konerko captain, saying Konerko is not a loud voice in the clubhouse.

"[Everett's] a little jealous about it," Guillen said. "I named him captain because he earned it.

"Carl is a good kid. A lot of people thought Carl is crazy and out of control, but he did everything I asked him to do. I don't have any complaints about him. The only thing is, I don't think he knows what leadership is, because when he named those two guys, I just laughed."

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)
if someone gets dropped from the three hole, i want them to get angry.  that's part of loving to compete, part of wanting that pressure on you.  i've never understood why some fans want players to take any demotion absolutely quietly.  they're going to be upset, whether they talk to media or not, so dont fool yourself.

you make a good point that his prediction borders on cattiness, but thats about all i see one could take issue with.  so what if he stands up for Willie?  they were teammates.  actually, that first point you make accuses him of not supporting his teammates, and in this Willie issue you accuse of him doing so to excess? which one is it?

Maybe you should shoot an email to Ozzie to complain. Because after reading his quotes in the SunTimes, he has a similiar opinon on the leadership of Carl Everett and company and their affect on this years squad. In fact his example was the same one I used last week with Carl being dropped from 3rd to 6th. Ozzie is the leader of this team.

/END OF THREAD

"Willie Harris was not a leader, Frank Thomas was not a leader and [Everett was] not a leader,'' Guillen said. "When you're a leader, you don't whine about being dropped from third in the order to sixth [like Everett did].

"I don't need leaders. I'm the leader of the team. I want players that lead by example. I don't want to say Carl was just being Carl. I don't think he was telling the truth that we lost leaders.''

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
Maybe you should shoot an email to Ozzie to complain.  Because after reading his quotes in the SunTimes, he has a similiar opinon on the leadership of Carl Everett and company and their affect on this years squad.  In fact his example was the same one I used last week with Carl being dropped from 3rd to 6th.  Ozzie is the leader of this team. 

/END OF THREAD

this is unnecessary to point out, i'm not talking about Carl's leadership at all. Carl contributed a lot last year, and hasnt been out of line with these comments at all. ever lost a job and said "they'll be worse off without me?" thats all we have here.