I just went to a lecture by Soledad O'brien

bmags

Soledad O'Brien is a morning anchor for CNN and used to work for NBC...

first off, holy crap she is gorgeous! WOW! much better than even on TV. Very endearing and a great speaker and very funny and captivating.

Topics brought up in her lecture:

What it means to be a journalist today : "seek the truth", fair accurate, let others respond, accountable, accuracy driven home, transparant

How she started: Decided early on she would never again cover like this: For the OJ simpson trial she was in san francisco - where Simpson's mother lived - and she was advised to stay on her porch until she came home and wait for her to say something.

Also - asked to go to the home of a man whose 8.5 month pregnant wife was just killed by a drunk driver and get a comment. He was very gracious and declined, she felt so disgusted she refused to do that ever again.

She said that at NBC was mentored by some guy forgot his name and he taught her so much about journalism ethics, and it was her job to pass down. First, never ambush. Make sure that the person is prepared for the interview and be honest on what you will ask and that it is ON the record.

Ethics should not be dictated but woven into the newsroom (D'uh!)

Its the viewers responsibility too to ask and pry the media to hold true. She said that Katrina coverage was just as dictated by the viewers being angry as the media. Said New Orleans was far worse than any picture could portray.

She brought up jason blair a lot and the lazy bias and how important it is to go that extra mile to ask. She talked about CNN and how their meetings are run and how things are picked.

When asked abotu 5 corps owning 90% of the media, she just said that she has felt absolutely no pressure from corporate in 17 years anywhere, but i was hoping she'd comment on how this affects the news in her opinion nationally.

I was completely entertained and I found her brilliant and captivating...she certainly has a fan now. I might even wake up early to catch her show (not bloody likely). As a journalism student it's great to find these wonderful rolemodels talk to you. There are far too many lazy as journalists out ther.

So i thought i would post this and have your thoughts on ethics in journalism and such. I thought the filibuster would be better so ... i wasn't sure.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 04:00 AM)
Did you tell her she's gorgeous?

i really wanted to go up there and comment on the faults of 24 hour news but I was too busy staring at her eyes.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:34 AM)
what would have been the faults you brought up?

the lack of depth, the silly argument shows that are so prevelent, instead of addressing the viewers that they got facts wrong on the first report they just change them on the next and act like nothing happened, the lack of watchdog status - no investigative reporting, despite the tool of 24 hours to educate the public and strengthen our democracy its like watching the 5 o clock news on repeat. Its business culture.