Deal may mean bye-bye, Borchard

SSH2005

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
Well, another side of this token is which of the 2 might be more valuable in the future.

Say we give Gload another 200 at bats, and he hits .300+ with a few dingers, like he did at the end of 04.

Then say we give Borchard 200 at bats, and he hits .250-.260, with like 10-12 home runs, which is what he's been doing all these years in the minors.

Which of them would have more value to us as trade bait next offseason?

I'm more concerned with 2006 than trade bait in the off season.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
You'd have to think that a team that has maybe a thinner OF would take a flyer on Borchard.  Washington, for example, has some injuries and some player disputes.  Why not give Borchard a chance to play everyday.  If he could hit around 260-275 with 30 bombs, he would be worth it IMO.

If it was likely that he would put up those types of numbers, Joe would be playing CF for the White Sox. If he could hit .260-.275 with 30 homers he would have a spot on any major league team.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
If it was likely that he would put up those types of numbers, Joe would be playing CF for the White Sox. If he could hit .260-.275 with 30 homers he would have a spot on any major league team.

I dont think joe would ever play CF first and foremost. Lets say Joe hits 240 with mid 20 bombs. Then I think he would still have good trade value.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
I'm more concerned with 2006 than trade bait in the off season.

So am I, but if we can all come to the agreement that the difference between Gload and Borchard for the 25th guy slot is going to be so small it's doubtful picking the wrong one will even cost us as many games as Timo did last year...then I'm willing to take other stuff into account.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
So am I, but if we can all come to the agreement that the difference between Gload and Borchard for the 25th guy slot is going to be so small it's doubtful picking the wrong one will even cost us as many games as Timo did last year...then I'm willing to take other stuff into account.

I can't go there. Sorry. I believe Borchard fits the needs of this team so much more than Gload. There is even and outside shot that it finally clicks with Joe, and if BA falters, JB can step in. Gload cannot do that because he can't play CF. I know I'm reaching, but I'm trying to consider various scenarios that can occur over the course of a season.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
I can't go there.  Sorry.  I believe Borchard fits the needs of this team so much more than Gload.  There is even and outside shot that it finally clicks with Joe, and if BA falters, JB can step in.  Gload cannot do that because he can't play CF.  I know I'm reaching, but I'm trying to consider various scenarios that can occur over the course of a season.

I'm totally with you Yas. It makes no sense to me why Gload would be a front-runner. Gload can play multiple positions, but he's primarily a 1st baseman. This team has two first baseman (although I realize if one got hurt mid game, we wouldn't be able to switch Thome over unless we wanted the pitcher to hit). However, in a pinch Ozuna/Mack/Dye and others could play for a game. Than if the injury was serious we could promote Rogowski as the backup.

However, Borchard can play all 3 outfield positions and he is good defensively (with a strong arm). Offensively Gload is the better hitter (average wise), but Borchard is a switch hitter who can provide some power from each side of the plate (he also had more big hits last season than Gload; in a very limited time to boot).

If it were me in charge, the decision would be pretty easy...Borch would be breaking camp with the club. And this is coming from someone whose always supported Gload.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
I'm totally with you Yas.  It makes no sense to me why Gload would be a front-runner.  Gload can play multiple positions, but he's primarily a 1st baseman.  This team has two first baseman (although I realize if one got hurt mid game, we wouldn't be able to switch Thome over unless we wanted the pitcher to hit).  However, in a pinch Ozuna/Mack/Dye and others could play for a game.  Than if the injury was serious we could promote Rogowski as the backup. 

However, Borchard can play all 3 outfield positions and he is good defensively (with a strong arm).  Offensively Gload is the better hitter (average wise), but Borchard is a switch hitter who can provide some power from each side of the plate (he also had more big hits last season than Gload; in a very limited time to boot). 

If it were me in charge, the decision would be pretty easy...Borch would be breaking camp with the club.  And this is coming from someone whose always supported Gload.

Exactly, Jason. I've always been supportive of Gload. He's a solid hitter and very good with the glove around firstbase. However, he doesn't fit the needs of this team as currently constructed.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
I honestly think that people are too focused on the one big error in the Cubs game in '04 (or was it '03?).  But then, I also must admit I have not seen him play all that often, so I have to mostly go by stats, which are sometimes deceiving (and he doesn't have much time in at the MLB level).  His stats don't seem to scream particularly good or bad to me - the ones I could find.

Michael J. Fox would be less shaky in the OF than Ross Gload. He was a butcher in BOTH Cubs-Sox series back in 2004.

Gload has shown he can hit major league level pitching. Borchard has shown he can hit a ball far and sign big contracts.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)
Exactly, Jason.  I've always been supportive of Gload.  He's a solid hitter and very good with the glove around firstbase.  However, he doesn't fit the needs of this team as currently constructed.

I also want to say if we are going to carry 3 1st baseman, I'd rather see us carry 3 catchers (not that we have a 3rd catcher thats capable) but it makes more sense than carrying 3 1st baseman (especially when all 3, even Gload are primarily first baseman).

Having a guy like Borch that could be a defensive replacmenet anywhere in the outfield would be real nice.

The thing is, for all the people saying, "well, if he could hit .250 with like 10-15 homers he'd be useful". Well -- duh.

The problem is, he can't do that.

I know he had 29 homers last year, but the guy didn't even slug .500. That's not very impressive.

He's had one major league stint where he's played a little bit. That was 2004. His final line, in 200 ABs (which isn't a great deal, but it's better than nothing) was this -- .174/.249/.338. I hate to say it, that's worse than Timo's overall line.

Gload, OTOH, was the MUCH better hitter last season at Charlotte, with a 1.073 OPS. That right there is extremely impressive. Plus, you put him on the bench, he's probably the best hitter. I think his .284/.339/.426 would rank better than both Cintron's and Mackowiak's.

I can see Jason's argument about having three OF spots. That's definitely a valid reason. But don't try to compare these two as hitters, because really, Joe Borchard has NOTHING on Ross Gload as a hitter.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
He's had one major league stint where he's played a little bit.  That was 2004.  His final line, in 200 ABs (which isn't a great deal, but it's better than nothing) was this -- .174/.249/.338.  I hate to say it, that's worse than Timo's overall line. 

Borchard's OPS in 04 was Higher than Timo's in 05.