What a joke

KipWellsFan

The WBC is definitely a joke.

I just don't get how you can take it seriously.

In the PHT forum, a lot of people are in the camp that it's just ST, and the players are just getting their work in, etc. You can't just turn around and expect that much more from anyone in this fake tournament. It's their ST too.

That's why this thing is never going to work. MLB's season is too long (not that I'm complaining) for this to ever work.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 08:17 AM)

In the PHT forum, a lot of people are in the camp that it's just ST, and the players are just getting their work in, etc.  You can't just turn around and expect that much more from anyone in this fake tournament.  It's their ST too. 

That's why this thing is never going to work.  MLB's season is too long (not that I'm complaining) for this to ever work.

I will repectfully disagree with you. I love watching everyone play for their country. The players who are going didn't drop out for a reason. The truly want to play in the tournament. This tournament has been way better than I expected. I suggest you give it a shot. There is nothing like watching a team face elimination and put it all on the line to win. As into it as these other countries are into it, it is hard not to get into it too. You are going to tell me it is spring training for the dominicans? Hardly, they are smacking every ball they see. What about cuba? If these guys lose they go back home making 20 bucks a month. If they win it increases their chances to escape. It was great watchin mexico facing elimination and killing canada. Would they have taken it to another level if it were a spring training game? I don't think so. If you refuse to keep an open mind about the wbc and are too stubborn to give it a chance, then I feel sorry for you as a baseball fan. It's your loss. Just don't bring your negativity to this forum and ruin it for the fans that do love the tournament. To me, this is what baseball is all about.

The thing people don't seem to understand is the WBC is an event strictly to get countries outside the U.S. excited about the game. The difference between us and the rest of the world is our country has the best league play in the world in the 4 major sports, and we get to see great, exciting play all the time. All these other countries, however, get excited about an event like this because it's THEIR players taking on the world, including the mighty United States.

International play and national pride is how sports works around the world, whereas in the U.S. it's all about your city/states team and league play in the U.S. itself. This event is all about the promotion of the game globally, and has very little to do with the U.S., where baseball is growing in popularity like hell as it is and is still known as the American pastime.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)

In the PHT forum, a lot of people are in the camp that it's just ST, and the players are just getting their work in, etc.  You can't just turn around and expect that much more from anyone in this fake tournament.  It's their ST too. 

That's why this thing is never going to work.  MLB's season is too long (not that I'm complaining) for this to ever work.

Tell that to the Domican, or Venezuela.

I think it would be better if we used more minor league and college players. At least then we would be trotting some young stud pitcher, looking to break the major league ranks, throwing his best stuff, instead of seeing f***ing Al Leiter throw gopherballs.

The problem with the tournament is that you can't really come up with a time that works well enough to get nearly all of the major league players in it. Obviously doing it now guys are rusty and some of them are hurt. If you do it after the season everyone is going to be exhausted, and you'll still have injury issues. If you do it during the season, the league would lose money from a lot of prime summer dates, and a lot of guys still would probably rather have the break.

I'd be a lot more interested in this thing if you had the full rosters for everybody. You'd have guys like Roy Oswalt, Roy Halladay, B.J. Ryan, Barry Bonds, and Lance Berkman instead of Al Leiter, Gary Majewski, Jeff Francoer, and Matt Holliday.

Imho, greasy's right.

It's not that the idea's bad, and baseball could pull it off -- if they were willing to shorten the season. As it is, many of the best players are missing and the rest are just rounding into shape, the pitchers have these tight limits, and all the games are one-and-done. That's not baseball -- there's a reason series go for multiple games.

Noone's saying the players (especially the unknowns) aren't playing hard. But the whole thing was designed badly, to be a sideshow underneath MLB, and that's what it's become. The US gets beat by Canada in a game where most of the players are in st shape, and the media want me to think that's a shocking upset. Have you seen spring training games? Hell, do you watch baseball ever? The Royals can beat the living hell out of the Sox one day, everyone knows that.

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Imho, greasy's right.

It's not that the idea's bad, and baseball could pull it off -- if they were willing to shorten the season.  As it is, many of the best players are missing and the rest are just rounding into shape, the pitchers have these tight limits, and all the games are one-and-done.  That's not baseball -- there's a reason series go for multiple games.

Noone's saying the players (especially the unknowns) aren't playing hard.  But the whole thing was designed badly, to be a sideshow underneath MLB, and that's what it's become.  The US gets beat by Canada in a game where most of the players are in st shape, and the media want me to think that's a shocking upset.  Have you seen spring training games?  Hell, do you watch baseball ever?  The Royals can beat the living hell out of the Sox one day, everyone knows that.

Exactly, your last point is something I brought up the other day too.

The Sox lost to every team they played at least once, with the exception of the Astros, and they're the World Champions. You've got to put the WBC into perspective of how baseball works. I just can't get excited about that. I'll continue watching the real March Madness in basketball and White Sox ST games.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
Exactly, your last point is something I brought up the other day too.

The Sox lost to every team they played at least once, with the exception of the Astros, and they're the World Champions.  You've got to put the WBC into perspective of how baseball works.  I just can't get excited about that.  I'll continue watching the real March Madness in basketball and White Sox ST games.

well s***. You don't see me in the NCAA forum bashing college basketball. Because in my opinion, I think it's watered down. All the good talent is in the pros. I say that because I grew up loving ncaa basketball (the greats usually leaving after their junior year) You younger guys did not get to see what I seen. So your not used to the level of quality I grew up watching.

I don't see the point of all you WBC nay sayers continue to bash it. I get it. You guys don't like it. Don't watch. Leave myslelf, and the other soxtalkers alone about it though. Some of us actually like it.

Another point, if you are going to tell me that players can not take their game to a higher level just because it's march, than your highly mistaken. Just because Jim Thome and Paul Konerko are not putting on a clinic right now, does not mean they can't turn it on when ever they want. They pretty much will if it were must win games. At least that's what I have seen from Freddy Garcia, Esteban Loiaza, David Ortiz and Adrian Beltre.

Some players aren't interested, some think it's the greatest moment of their careers.

I'll bet Jason Veritek thought the Grand Slam against Canada was the finest at-bat of his life.

People are entitled to dislike it, but I admire Selig for bringing this together and I'm glad that the Players involved and the other countries are enjoying themselves.