White Sox (3-7) VS Giants (5-3) - 3/10

Kalapse

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
This Giants pitcher Valdez has tremendous stuff. I assume he's their closer for next season.  He delivery appears effortless, then out comes a 97 mph fastball. Good offspeed pitches as well.

Merkin Valdez... He's been the Giants #1 or #2 prospect the last three seasons.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
I didn't see the game but it sounds like he got roped.  But didn't he get screwed over by an error by Josh Fields?

Maybe we will end up trading Borchie for a reliever.

KW may need a couple of relievers. Hermanson is throwing in the low to mid 80s, Politte is getting knocked around. The 7 or 8 bums they brought in to compete for the second lefty in the pen are showing why they were cheap and available. Politte wasn't very good last spring but turned it on during the regular season. I hope he can do it again, but if he reverts back to the 2004 version of himself, there will be huge pressure on BMac, Jenks and Cotts.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 06:30 PM)
As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, Politte got knocked around last spring training too.

If you would have read my whole post, I mentioned that. The problem is Cliff has also been knocked around in the regular season before as well. The last time he pitched as much as he did last year, the next season his ERA was 5.66. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are living on borrowed time with Cliff.

KW may need a couple of relievers. Hermanson is throwing in the low to mid 80s, Politte is getting knocked around. The 7 or 8 bums they brought in to compete for the second lefty in the pen are showing why they were cheap and available. Politte wasn't very good last spring but turned it on during the regular season. I hope he can do it again, but if he reverts back to the 2004 version of himself, there will be huge pressure on BMac, Jenks and Cotts.

Yep, I didn't have much faith in Hermanson coming into this season regardless of his back problems. He had a career year last season and his stuff just isn't that great anymore. Also, it seemed like he was getting saved by quite a few great defensive plays on a lot of hard liners last season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)
If you would have read my whole post, I mentioned that.

Good point, but if it happened last year too, what makes it so different, and a reason to get a couple of relievers?

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are living on borrowed time with Cliff.

I do agree with this. I don't see Cliff repeating his 2006 performance, and I see him going back to a 3.60-4.00 ERA.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 06:40 PM)
Good point, but if it happened last year too, what makes it so different, and a reason to get a couple of relievers?

I do agree with this.  I don't see Cliff repeating his 2006 performance, and I see him going back to a 3.60-4.00 ERA.

Hermanson's condition and the quality of the left handed candidates make it important to obtain at least one more relief pitcher, especially if Politte can't repeat last season's performance, which is highly unlikely even if he was striking everyone out in spring training. Its not like he's facing a line-up of major leaguers right now, and just because he was brutal last spring and had a good year, doesn't mean he'll be great with a brutal spring this year. I think the White Sox should be at least a little concerned.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
Hermanson's condition and the quality of the left handed candidates make it important to obtain at least one more relief pitcher, especially if Politte can't repeat last season's performance, which is highly unlikely even if he was striking everyone out in spring training. Its not like he's facing a line-up of major leaguers right now, and just because he was brutal last spring and had a good year, doesn't mean he'll be great with a brutal spring this year. I think the White Sox should be at least a little concerned.

I agree the Sox should be concerned, but from your first post on the matter, you said that they should get a couple of relievers, then immediately said that Politte was getting knocked around. If he got knocked around last year and it didn't effect his pitching during the regular season, why would it effect it this year?

I agree that Hermanson is a big question mark, and Politte and probably Cotts are unlikely to repeat their 2005 performances, and I think that the Sox should trade for some real bullpen help, but I don't think the fact that Politte is getting knocked around in the Spring means anything in this.

Also, it seems like everyone is freaking out about what Lopez did today. Yea, he got knocked around, but the wind was a huge factor today. The same can be said for Haeger, and anyone else that pitched in todays game. I mean, Borchard's homerun looked like a lazy fly ball to left, but ended up going over the fence. Take today's game with a grain of salt, hell, even less. This is only Spring Training.