downtown protest

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:20 PM)
I agree.  The discussion was going just fine when it stuck to talking about the topic at hand and not individual posters.  I wasn't expecting the credibility of my opinions to be attacked by someone who clearly knows more about the subject than all of us...and isn't afraid to let us know.    :lol:

Would you like to point out the insult? Please.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
Where is the insult?

The part where you repeatedly tell someone else they don't know what they are talking about.

Do what you want man, but I don't like seeing people cross that line (where the posts become insulting to other posters), so I pointed it out.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
The part where you repeatedly tell someone else they don't know what they are talking about.

Do what you want man, but I don't like seeing people cross that line (where the posts become insulting to other posters), so I pointed it out.

Repeatedly? I said it once. "I really don't think you know what you are talking about. "

And after I said this he said he knew what I was talking about and basically agreed that it goes on. I hardly find that an insult.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
No, its going to be a felony for a doctor to treat the patient.  Which is a violation of the oath they take.  The law is pretty extreme IMO.  Most of these people make your daily life the way it is.  The place you eat for lunch, the bathroom you use during the day, even the sidewalks you walk on. 

Everyone here should go and watch "A Day Without a Mexican"  Its a great movie to watch the real impact of immigrants on our society.

This has nothing to do with mexicans. I have a problem with anybody being here illegally. As for what they do for me, it isn't much. I bring my own lunch, and the bathrooms aren't very clean. We used to clean the bathrooms ourselves at the other places I worked and we kept them cleaner. I don't get the sidewalk one, but I'm assuming you're claiming that they are kept clean? You should check out what they do in the park by my house. One lady had her kid take a dump in a bucket and then emptied it in the river. There were bathrooms about 100 ft away. They throw garbage in the river and on the ground all day and when you say something to them, the answer is "I don't care. I don't live here." So as far as I can see, not much benefit. They can follow the process and come here legally.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
Repeatedly? I said it once. "I really don't think you know what you are talking about. "

And after I said this he said he knew what I was talking about and basically agreed that it goes on. I hardly find that an insult.

You can't possibly be that ignorant about what's meant to be demeaning and what's meant to be a legitimate question...

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
Do you just read what you want to read?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
I just wish you would read the whole thing before commenting. It is like talking to someone who isn't even paying attention to what you are saying, they are just thinking of the next question to ask you.

All meant in the nicest possible way, right?

You can just make your points in your posts without being a dick about it...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
You can't possibly be that ignorant about what's meant to be demeaning and what's meant to be a legitimate question...

All meant in the nicest possible way, right?

You can just make your points in your posts without being a dick about it...

It wasn't meant to be demeaning at all.

I don't think that was being a "dick" about it at all. Who is insulting who now? I believe that is the way you were posting. Reading half the thing and then commenting on it. THere is no other way you would have made half the statements you made.

Undocumented Worker Statistics to chew on.

More than one out of every four drywallers is an undocumented worker. (27%)

More than one out of every four gardeners is an undocumented worker. (26%)

More than one out of every five housekeepers is an undocumented worker. (22%)

One out of every five construction workers is an undocumented worker. (20%)

One out of every eight hotel industry workers is an undocumented worker. (13%)

One out of every eight food manufacturing workers is an undocumented worker. (13%)

One out of every ten food preparation workers is an undocumented worker. (11%)

Source: Pew Hispanic Institute

More than half of hispanic adult immigrants in this country less than 10 years make under $350 a week.

QUOTE(zach61 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
This has nothing to do with mexicans. I have a problem with anybody being here illegally. As for what they do for me, it isn't much. I bring my own lunch, and the bathrooms aren't very clean. We used to clean the bathrooms ourselves at the other places I worked and we kept them cleaner. I don't get the sidewalk one, but I'm assuming you're claiming that they are kept clean? You should check out what they do in the park by my house. One lady had her kid take a dump in a bucket and then emptied it in the river. There were bathrooms about 100 ft away. They throw garbage in the river and on the ground all day and when you say something to them, the answer is "I don't care. I don't live here." So as far as I can see, not much benefit. They can follow the process and come here legally.

Im sorry you live by such a s*** hole. Here in chicago where I live, its not the case. Every restaurant or bar I go to, most of the kitchen staff are from mexico. All of the bars ive worked in, the bar backs and staff are mexican. They are really great guys IMO, just trying to earn a living, working hard for the money.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
I hate this, and I'm going to get labled, but screw it.

YOU ARE HERE ILLEGALY, STFU, GO HOME, AND COME BACK LEGALLY!!

Rights my ass.  You don't have any unless you do it the right way.

I gotta agree. I figure if my numbnut father (my dad is the first person to admit to his numbnuttiness lol) can get here legally and follow the rules to be able to stay (there were some hairy moments in the beginning), anyone can.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)

More than half of hispanic adult immigrants in this country less than 10 years make under $350 a week.

My mom is Polish and my dad is Irish (from the old sod) and $350 is fairly close to their weekly pay. Mom is a CS rep and dad is a janitor.

I think it is clear that immigration laws need to be adjusted. There would be labor "pandamonium" here if every illegal suddenly left/was shipped out. At the same time, wages and employment levels, especially for other disadvantaged races (e.g., African-Americans) have been pushed lower and lower, depriving them of upward economic advancement.

First and foremost, the borders must be secured. This is a responsibility of the Congress and Administration, one which they have neglected. After that, there will have to be a huge, vitally important, and possibly nasty debate on what to do with illegals already here.

I think that what is a mostly unspoken fear in this is to what extent illegal immigrants, specfically Hispanics, are assimilating. We see Spanish language everything and it appears as if the new immigrants are treating the country only as a big ATM machine (i.e., for $$$ motives) and not truly wishing to become Americans.

As someone who has worked in the Hispanic community for almost fifteen years, I can say that there is some validity to this fear; however, the second generation is as American as were the children of Italians, Poles, and Irishmen of yesteryear.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
I hate this, and I'm going to get labled, but screw it.

YOU ARE HERE ILLEGALY, STFU, GO HOME, AND COME BACK LEGALLY!!

Rights my ass.  You don't have any unless you do it the right way.

:notworthy PERIOD.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)

More than one out of every four drywallers is an undocumented worker. (27%)

More than one out of every four gardeners is an undocumented worker. (26%)

More than one out of every five housekeepers is an undocumented worker. (22%)

One out of every five construction workers is an undocumented worker. (20%)

One out of every eight hotel industry workers is an undocumented worker. (13%)

One out of every eight food manufacturing workers is an undocumented worker. (13%)

One out of every ten food preparation workers is an undocumented worker. (11%)

Source: Pew Hispanic Institute

And this backs up my point in a lot of respects. These are a lot of professions where there are plenty of good potentials for injury, and cash under the table payments which open the opportunity for cheating the workers out of the money they earned, and for the workers to send the money out of the country without having paid a penny of taxes.

I think there needs to be a way that the people who live here and are undocumented but are otherwise obeying the law can get an opportunity to stay here legally.

I also think we need to do a better job of stopping the flow of undocumented immigrants from coming through illegally. One way we can do that is by forcing Mexico to improve its labor standards for its citizens.

BTW, the reason that this law is particularly heinous is that it is worded in such a way that churches can be held liable for giving comfort to someone who is illegal. Meaning that they can technically be arrested for giving an illegal immigrant a meal at a soup kitchen.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 08:01 AM)
I also think we need to do a better job of stopping the flow of undocumented immigrants from coming through illegally

Agreed.

One way we can do that is by forcing Mexico to improve its labor standards for its citizens.

LOL! That's never gonig to happen. The Mexican government won't allow companies to pay their workers more than $3/day. Even if they'd allow us to tell them how to run their country, they don't have the economic infrastructure to pay their workers wages comparable to ours.

The only way to realistically solve this problem is tighter border security. And if Vicente Fox doesn't like it, too bad.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 08:01 AM)
BTW, the reason that this law is particularly heinous is that it is worded in such a way that churches can be held liable for giving comfort to someone who is illegal. Meaning that they can technically be arrested for giving an illegal immigrant a meal at a soup kitchen.

Cardinal Mahoney out here in L.A. has already told the catholic churches around here that they should be willing to defy that part of the law if it is passed.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
Nice to see you and Uncle Jesse taking the easy way out and just playing the race card.

Latent racism.

Nice to see you play the human rights card, later bulls***ting that your concerns are for workers' safety, when you clearly stated in your previous posts that your main concern was all of that precious money being "stolen" away from your taxes. :rolly

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
Nice to see you play the human rights card, later bulls***ting that your concerns are for workers' safety, when you clearly stated in your previous posts that your main concern was all of that precious money being "stolen" away from your taxes.    :rolly

I donate to Catholic Charities on a regular basis and have no problem with some of my income going to the less fortunate via taxes. However, people who come to this country ILLEGALY aren't entitled to a damn cent of my paycheck. If they want handouts, they need to play by our nation's rules.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
Agreed.

LOL!  That's never gonig to happen.  The Mexican government won't allow companies to pay their workers more than $3/day.  Even if they'd allow us to tell them how to run their country, they don't have the economic infrastructure to pay their workers wages comparable to ours.

The only way to realistically solve this problem is tighter border security.  And if Vicente Fox doesn't like it, too bad.

If workers in Mexico only made $3 a day, they'd be in the same position as Haiti.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
I donate to Catholic Charities on a regular basis and have no problem with some of my income going to the less fortunate via taxes.  However, people who come to this country ILLEGALY aren't entitled to a damn cent of my paycheck.  If they want handouts, they need to play by our nation's rules.

Why does it matter where a person in need comes from?

And what handouts do you speak of?? How is coming here to work and make below minimum wage receiving handouts??

Now, granted, there is a tiny percentage that probably does abuse the system (compared to a larger percentage of citizens who abuse it much worse), but the vast majority just come here to work and not cause any harm to anyone, no different than any of us. They're just looking to better their lives. I'm definitely againt treating people like s*** and just kicking them out, taking away their livelihood, seperating families, etc...

It just amazes me how people are so intent on professing how great and caring human beings they are because they care about all sorts of world issues and what-not and donate to charities, yet if the person in need happens to be here illegally, they're basically f***in' scum... :headshake