Gale Norton Resigns

FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
The second worst thing to ever happen to Interior (second only to Stephen Griles) is stepping down at the end of the month.

link to her resignation letter (pdf): http://www.doi.gov/secretary/resignation.pdf

Excellent. Finally some good news today. Unfortunately though, I suspect the next one in there might be just as bad, considering Bush's stance on the environment (what's an environment?).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
Excellent.  Finally some good news today.  Unfortunately though, I suspect the next one in there might be just as bad, considering Bush's stance on the environment (what's an environment?).

Well, hopefully the next one won't have gotten as much money from Jack Abramoff.

I know. Let's have all the politicians and their staffs who have gotten money from questionable places, have some type of immorality in their background, presses flesh just to get the votes and could give a s*** less about anyone, all resign effective immediately.

Oh wait. There wouldn't be a government left.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
I know.  Let's have all the politicians and their staffs who have gotten money from questionable places, have some type of immorality in their background, presses flesh just to get the votes and could give a s*** less about anyone, all resign effective immediately.

Oh wait.  There wouldn't be a government left.

I appreciate what you are saying, nobody in the beltway is anything close to squeaky clean. But in this case I don't particularly care that it is the Abramoff tie that is bringing her down, I just care that she will be gone soon.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)
I appreciate what you are saying, nobody in the beltway is anything close to squeaky clean.  But in this case I don't particularly care that it is the Abramoff tie that is bringing her down, I just care that she will be gone soon.

I can live with that. ;)

Bush announced his replacement for Norton today: Idaho Gov. Dirk Kempthorne.

As usual, his environmental record is, shall we say, pro-business (Knight-Ridder piece hosted by Common Dreams)

During Kempthorne’s four-and-a-half-year tenure as governor, Idaho’s pristine air has gotten dirtier, more rivers have been polluted, fewer polluters have been inspected and more toxins have contaminated the air, water and land, according to a Knight Ridder analysis of Idaho pollution data from EPA and state records.

Interesting press release from the League of Conservation Voters.

WASHINGTON, DC - League of Conservation Voters (LCV) Senior Vice President for Political Affairs and Public Education Tony Massaro today issued the following statement after President Bush nominated Idaho Governor Dirk Kempthorne to be his Secretary of Interior.

"During his career in Congress, Governor Kempthorne earned a paltry 1% lifetime LCV score. Enough said."

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
Bush announced his replacement for Norton today:  Idaho Gov. Dirk Kempthorne.

As usual, his environmental record is, shall we say, pro-business (Knight-Ridder piece hosted by Common Dreams)

Yeah, I wasn't hoping for much. And of course, not much is exactly what we are getting. . . :banghead

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 06:08 PM)
Bush announced his replacement for Norton today:  Idaho Gov. Dirk Kempthorne.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...ic=47451&st=0

No surprise there.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
Aldo!  :cheers

quote1.gif

When I get cabin fever, or get too bogged down in urbanity... I break out Sand County Almanac, and put either Peter Gabriel's Passion or Mahler 1 ("The Titan") in the CD player.

Sigurd Olson also works wonders, in that vein.

Edited by NorthSideSox72