Culpepper Trade Rumors

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 09:00 AM)
He (meaning Daunte) totally blew out his knee. He may never be the same player again. At this point he would be a huge risk.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2361473

One team believed to have discussed the possibility of dealing for Culpepper is Oakland. The Raiders last week released starting quarterback Kerry Collins, then rescinded the move when the league delayed the start to the free agent signing period. Collins' status with the team remains in limbo, in large part because of a prohibitive salary cap figure for 2006 that the Raiders would prefer to reduce.

I think if Daunte goes anywhere, the Vikings will send him to the AFC so they wont have to deal with him regularly. I definitely dont think they are just going to set him loose on the FA market when they can get something for him.

Deal Confirmed

11:25 PM

3/9/06

Rumors of a possible deal that will send Daunte Culpepper to the St. Louis Rams for current starting quarterback Marc Bulger and a "mid-round" selection in the 2006 draft have been confirmed tonight. A source close to the situation has told Vikingsboard that the deal has been struck in principle, and is awaiting the Saturday Free Agent deadline for finalization.

"This is not to say that a last minute offer from another team won't be entertained" said the source "But I can tell you with almost certainty that if nobody else steps up in the next 24 hours with a better offer, Culpepper will be a Ram before the weekend is out"

The mid round selection is believed to be a fourth rounder, however that could not be confirmed.

More information to follow.

http://www.vikingsboard.net/

Take it however you want to take it, but this is the second time I've heard the Rams.

And he's not going to the Raiders supposedly.

Vikings not passing up Culpepper trade

By Adam Schefter, NFL Analyst

(March 9, 2006) -- The Minnesota Vikings have a deal in place to trade quarterback Daunte Culpepper, team officials confirmed Thursday. The trade is imminent, with the deal expected to go through Friday, just before the start of free agency.

Where Culpepper is going is the biggest mystery in the league. As of now, it is not Oakland. The Raiders and Vikings spoke Thursday, but Oakland is trying to gauge whether or not it wants to try to match, or beat, the other teams' offer. It will spend Thursday night mulling its decision.

But the Vikings have made it clear that they have found a suitable trade partner, with suitable compensation, and now Culpepper and the Vikings each will get their wish. They will part ways, leaving on more bitter terms than wide receiver Randy Moss left Minnesota last season.

Culpepper could not get along with new Vikings coach Brad Childress, and the quarterback has upset various members of the organization with what they feel is his immature behavior. Their relationship, by all accounts, will end Friday. But the only ones who knows where Culpepper's next relationship will resume are the Vikings and their trading partner.

Teams in need of quarterbacks include Miami, New Orleans, Detroit, the New York Jets, the Baltimore Ravens and the Oakland Raiders, who still have not released Kerry Collins, even if it has been reported that they have.

Chances are, one of those places will be Culpepper's home this season.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9295762

Edited by Felix

Per cbssportsline.com:

Since the Vikings are scheduled to pay Daunte Culpepper a $6 million roster bonus this month, the organization wanted to gauge the interest in Culpepper from other teams. The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that although Baltimore and Miami have been mentioned as potential suitors, it appears that Oakland is the front-runner to acquire Culpepper.

According to ESPN's John Clayton, Collins is officially cut.

Make of this what you will.

ESPN's John Clayton says the Raiders have cut Kerry Collins.

With the move official, Oakland now has $9.2 million more in cap space. Clayton reports this gives them the freedom to pursue Daunte Culpepper. Mar. 10 - 6:38 pm et

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

The Dolphins have targeted San Diego's Drew Brees, but with Daunte Culpepper virtually done in Minnesota, the Vikings were a late entry in the pursuit of Brees, also an object of the Saints' affection. The Oakland Raiders are believed to be have interest in Culpepper

Now I'm hearing that the Saints have the most guaranteed money on the table for Brees and although he's visiting with the Phins', the Saints are considered to be the favorites.

If the Saints are able to sign Brees, move down a few spots and draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson, they will have a nice, little offense in the making.

I've said if Brees doesn't end up in Miami, Culpepper will, and I'm standing by my statement.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
Now I'm hearing that the Saints have the most guaranteed money on the table for Brees and although he's visiting with the Phins', the Saints are considered to be the favorites.

If the Saints are able to sign Brees, move down a few spots and draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson, they will have a nice, little offense in the making.

I've said if Brees doesn't end up in Miami, Culpepper will, and I'm standing by my statement.

Man I have been waiting to post about this..

The Phins' are my team, so I will let you guys know everything that I have heard about this situation..

Early saturday morning Nick Saban, Randy Mueller, and Wayne H. flew to Birmingham unannounced to meet with Brees before his visit with New Orleans to make sure that he did not sign a contract with them without Visiting Miami first, which he did today.

Now, New Orleans has the money to spend and word is they are offering in the area of $10 million a year. They are going to be in the area of $3 million more in guaranteed money offered than the Dolphins, but, if I am Drew Brees why on earth would I want to go to the Saints? I am hoping that since Miami convinced him to leave New Orleans without a contract that they are going to do what it takes to get him signed by Monday if not sometime tonight. Miami has stated they wanted to get their Brees/Culpepper situation set out by today.

Which brings me to Culpepper. As of right now to my knowledge Miami is the ONLY team still interested in Daunte, and if they miss on Brees they WILL go after Culpepper hard, even if it means giving up the 2nd round pick to acquire him.

All I can say is if we get either one of these QB's I am going to be doing backflips.

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
if I am Drew Brees why on earth would I want to go to the Saints?

More guaranteed money...plain and simple.

It's not like the Saints are a team in a horrible position - they have a good collection of talent there, but Aaron Brooks is about as bad a QB as there is.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
More guaranteed money...plain and simple. 

It's not like the Saints are a team in a horrible position - they have a good collection of talent there, but Aaron Brooks is about as bad a QB as there is.

3 Million would not be enough to get me to play for a team that doesnt even know where it could be playing in the future..

Miami is in a much better situation than New Orleans and even so, I dont understand why New Orleans would go all out on a QB with a torn labrum when they can draft a young QB