Illinois State

MarlinFan84

Does anyone on this board go to ISU? Just wondering, I applied there today, and was wondering about like how big the campus is, if it's a nice campus, where some good places to drink beer are in Bloomington/Normal...JW, not sure if I am going to get in, but a heads up on what to do there would be awesome.

I graduated from ISU a little more than a year ago and I must say that I loved it there. I thought everything was great except the athletics (no one cares and no one goes to the games). It is a big school but it seriously feels like a small school. When i went there everyone was friendly and did not take themselves to seriously and think they are better than everyone else (like a certain Big Ten school down I-74, cough... U of I...cough).

In terms of the social life. When I went there there were house parties every thursday, fri, and sat for those under 21 (i have heard the cops have gotten a lot more tough on them since i left, so dont quote me on it). And for those over 21, the only bar in Normal was the Pub II (not my favorite place). I prefered the bars of downtown Bloomington, where there are at least a dozen different bars depending on your interests and what you are looking for (it is a short cab ride away).

Overall, ISU is a great school with friendly people, but not the most school spirit or team pride.

I go there currently, transferring from a 2 year. The school large in terms of population but like SoxPhan7 said, it has a small school feel to it. The people I have encountered seem to all be down to earth and don't care who you are and what you have, like everywhere that population does exist. There seems to always be something going on in the form of parties on thursday and friday. The bars right by the university aren't the best, but you can hop in a cab with a few people you can go to downtown Bloomington and go to ones which are alot better.

QUOTE(SoxPhan7 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
IWhen i went there everyone was friendly and did not take themselves to seriously and think they are better than everyone else (like a certain Big Ten school down I-74, cough... U of I...cough).

Way to throw 30,000+ people into the same exact group :huh

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Way to throw 30,000+ people into the same exact group :huh

I am just giving you guys a hard time. I have lots of friends and relatives that go (or went there) and almost all of them have the same attitude towards ISU. As soon as you tell them ISU they say, "oh I Screwed Up?" Giving you the impression that since it is not U of I it doesnt matter. Oh well, that is just my 2 cents, not that it really matters.