Slobodan Milosevic found dead

Kyyle23

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/03/11...ovic/index.html

(CNN) -- Former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic has been found dead in his cell in The Hague, Netherlands where he was being tried on war cimes charges, according to the United Nations war crimes tribunal. He was 64.

Serbians around the world rejoice.

'Natural causes'? If that's true, guess his supposed heart ailments which have dragged on this trial five years weren't false. Whether it truly was a natural death--and I'm sure speculation will continue following an autopsy--atleast he's dead.

Albanians, rather than Serbs, should be rejoicing around the world.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
I'm surprised SF1 hasn't chimed in yet....

I am now...

Let me start off with a big IMO:

Personally, I am happy for the man. Serbs did not rejoice, we mourned. The man did what was necessary to stop HIS people from getting killed. The Serbians. The consensus among Serbs is that he did not die of natural causes and I am led to believe so but it was definitely true that he had chronic heart problems for years. Just like how the Serbs never did this is the same way they will cover up Milosevic' real cause of death. On top of all of that, he was denied treatment in a Russian facility in Moscow for his ailments even though they guaranteed that Milosevic would be back before the trials were set to start. The death part I will leave alone because no one will ever know for sure. What I do know is that many think he was poisoned, including Milosevic himself.

Also, the fact that all Albanians sentenced were acquitted of ALL charges before any trials even started is BS. Clearly, the outside views of the entire situation are skewed and that is what most fail to understand, leading them to believe that Milosevic was out to kill anyone and everything that wasn't Serbian...which is not true. May his soul rest in peace.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
I am now...

Personally, I am happy for the man. Serbs did not rejoice, we mourned. The man did what was necessary to stop HIS people from getting killed. The Serbians. The consensus among Serbs is that he did not die of natural causes and I am led to believe so but it was definitely true that he had chronic heart problems for years. Just like how the Serbs never did this is the same way they will cover up Milosevic' real cause of death. On top of all of that, he was denied treatment in a Russian facility in Moscow for his ailments even though they guaranteed that Milosevic would be back before the trials were set to start. The death part I will leave alone because no one will ever know for sure. What I do know is that many think he was poisoned, including Milosevic himself.

Also, the fact that all Albanians sentenced were acquitted of ALL charges before any trials even started is BS. Clearly, the outside views of the entire situation are skewed and that is what most fail to understand, leading them to believe that Milosevic was out to kill anyone and everything that wasn't Serbian...which is not true. May his soul rest in peace.

Well hell, now I know he's not a War Criminal!

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
I am now...

Personally, I am happy for the man. Serbs did not rejoice, we mourned. The man did what was necessary to stop HIS people from getting killed

...by committing genocide. sorry SF1, there is always a better way to solve ethnic problems than mass murder. the thing about albanians being acquitted is a good point, but it doesnt negate the fact that milosovic is a mass murderer.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
...by committing genocide. sorry SF1, there is always a better way to solve ethnic problems than mass murder. the thing about albanians being acquitted is a good point, but it doesnt negate the fact that milosovic is a mass murderer.

But the Albanians invading Kosovo were not?

And to add:

Political scientist Michael Parenti has made the case that Milošević, and the actions of the Serbs more broadly, were systematically exaggerated by the mainstream U.S. media during the period of NATO's bombing (see Parenti's book "To Kill a Nation" for more details).

Additionally, Paris based journalist Diana Johnstone made the case in her book Fool's Crusade that Milošević's actions were marginal at best, and no worse than the crimes of the Croats or the Bosnian Muslims, even going so far as to claim that the massacre of Srebrenica did not occur, and was a media fabrication.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 12:59 AM)
Well, I will say, SF1 has a different connection to this than the rest of us...I would think.

Most definitely. There is no point in saying not. I am Serbian so I obviously am coming from a different, more biased, point of view.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
Most definitely. There is no point in saying not. I am Serbian so I obviously am coming from a different, more biased, point of view.

Two things: your second article about the genocide being "exaggerated" by the media reminds me of German reports that the Holocaust was "exaggerated" and its scope "mythical."

Second, I think you're entitled to your opinion, although I think you're wrong. It's not like you think I'm right, though.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
Two things: your second article about the genocide being "exaggerated" by the media reminds me of German reports that the Holocaust was "exaggerated" and its scope "mythical."

Second, I think you're entitled to your opinion, although I think you're wrong. It's not like you think I'm right, though.

Definitely. We'll never agree so it's best to leave it alone and not bother arguing. Like you said, I am entitled to my opinion and you to yours.

But then again, the "genocide" by Milosevic is not at all comprable to that of the Holocaust. Almost 7 million were killed in the Holocaust. Furthermore:

However, the numbers given by Clinton and his administration have been proven false. The official NATO body count of the events in Kosovo was 2,788 (not all of them were war crimes victims), with Slobodan Milošević charged with the "murders of about 600 individually identified ethnic Albanians". Critics have noted that these numbers can not be considered genocide. The headline of The Wall Street Journal, which had launched an investigation into whether genocide had occurred in Kosovo, on December 31, 1999 was "War in Kosovo Was Cruel, Bitter, Savage; Genocide It Wasn't".
Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
Definitely. We'll never agree so it's best to leave it alone and not bother arguing. Like you said, I am entitled to my opinion and you to yours.

But then again, the "genocide" by Milosevic is not at all comprable to that of the Holocaust. Almost 7 million were killed in the Holocaust. Furthermore:

It depends upon the meaning of the word "genocide" and your interpretation of that meaning! I consider it to have been genocide, or attempted Genocide, at least.

How utterly Clintonian.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
well the conspiracy to kill milosovic has been exposed. heart failure...the most deadly poison of them all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4799880.stm

Well, the interesting other side to that has come out today. Yes, it was heart failure, but it was heart failure brought on by a drug which was found in his system which was not prescribed to him.

The autopsy result was disclosed as new evidence emerged that Mr. Milosevic, the former Yugoslav president found dead in his prison cell bed on Saturday, had been taking medicine not prescribed by his physicians, including an antibiotic known to diminish or blunt the effect of the medicines he had been taking for heart and blood-pressure problems.

It was unclear why he had taken that antibiotic, but one of Mr. Milosevic's legal advisers said Sunday that Mr. Milosevic knew something was wrong, and had expressed fear in a letter written one day before he was found dead that someone had been trying to poison him. The United Nations tribunal has dismissed the poisoning speculation.

Dr. Donald Uges, a top toxicologist in the Netherlands who had consulted on the case earlier at the request of the tribunal, said today that he thought Mr. Milosevic had taken the drugs to undermine his health to support his plea for a medical transfer to Moscow, where his family now lives.

"I don't think he took his medicines for suicide, only for his trip to Moscow," Dr. Uges told Reuters. "I think that was his last possibility to escape the Hague. I am so sure there is no murder."

Carla Del Ponte, the chief prosecutor at the tribunal, said at a news conference on Sunday before the autopsy result was released that she did not rule out suicide. She also said Mr. Milosevic had been thoroughly monitored by medical aides, and that it was "very strange, even if it is of course possible, that he should have died so suddenly without these medics having noticed a worsening of his condition."

Christopher Hitchens' Obit on Slobo.

http://www.slate.com/id/2137950/

The highlights of his more lurid criminal career ought to be briefly set down before anyone tries to airbrush them. He arranged for his own entourage to be pelted with stones in Kosovo in 1987 (this we have on film) so that the provocation could appear on Belgrade television and isolate the civilized elements in the ruling party. He made a secret agreement with his equally disgusting counterpart Franjo Tudjman of Croatia for a sort of Stalin-Hitler carve-up of Bosnia, and thus empowered the very Croatian extremists who later turned on Serb civilians. He entered into a collusion with fascist and irredentist groups, among them Bosnian Serbs and Belgrade Serbs, which deliberately threw Bosnia into civil war and gave us the modern (and euphemistic) term "ethnic cleansing." He hijacked the national army of a unitary state and used it to attack the autonomous republics within that state. He very nearly destroyed two of the urban cultural treasures of Europe: Dubrovnik and Sarajevo. He emptied the treasury of Serbia and reduced its citizens to poverty and paranoia. He and Saddam were the only two heads of government to welcome the failed coup against Mikhail Gorbachev. Eventually, he went even further and ordered the mass expulsion of the majority population of Kosovo, who were herded onto trains and forced onto the roads; an act that would, if successful, have lethally destabilized the two neighboring states of Albania and Macedonia. And at that very belated point, the Western powers decided they had had enough of him and brought about his removal from Kosovo and his removal from power.