MN signs Taylor

The Minnesota Vikings continue to be active early in free agency, signing Ravens' running back Chester Taylor and Chargers' linebacker Ben Leber on Saturday, reports the Associated Press.

This is a big signing for the Vikes. Taylor is a better back than any they have and should walk away with the starting job. Taylor should have a good season but that won't take them to the title. This is still the Bears division to lose at this point.

He's decent, but I don't think he's better than Onterrio Smith.

A sober Onterrio Smith, anyway.

Thing is, the Vikings usually don't have a "starting" rb. I wonder if they'll try to use Taylor that way, or if he'll just be part of the usual commitee. I'm very curious to see what the terms of the deal are.

The Vikings are saying that Chester Taylor will get 20-30 carries a game so it looks like he will be their feature back. Looks like Mewelde Moore will stick with punt/kickoff returns. I doubt they will draft a RB unless it's a really late round pick.

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
Kind of a dumb signing if you ask me, especially with the draft being loaded with RB's who could prolly be just as effective as Taylor

I think I would personally say more effective, but maybe that's just me.

I honestly don't like the signing at all. Better, younger backs in the draft, plus the Queens already have a plethora of RBs as it is. Why would you spend any amount of money on a FA back?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
I think I would personally say more effective, but maybe that's just me.

I honestly don't like the signing at all.  Better, younger backs in the draft, plus the Queens already have a plethora of RBs as it is.  Why would you spend any amount of money on a FA back?

Exactly

Chester Taylor better be the starting RB with the money they are paying him. Is Onterrio Smith still a Vike or is he a restricted FA? Mewelde Moore is not an every down back. He is injured way too often. The Ravens are not looking for a RB in the draft since they have both Jamal Lewis and Mike Anderson. That would be kind of silly to draft.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 03:39 AM)
Yeah, what were we thinking.  We should have seen into the future, like you did days after it happened.  Tell us, swami, what will happen 5 days from now.  Just tell us 6 days from now.

Hmm, didn't know I had to watch dates and times of other posts. No one posted after that.

Edited by southsideirish