Sox vs Angels 3/12

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 06:07 PM)
I respectfully disagree, KW stole cintron. "the Baj" sucked and will never be as good as he was in the minors. KW is targeting people already, hell I would go and get williamson off the cubs. there will be players and yes we will over pay by giving a couple of guys who will never make it anyway. If only borchard was decent, he would be one to make a trade.KW put himself in this situation he will get himself out. if he doesn't it will cost him the division.

I was saying KW had to ask for a little extra by asking JR for a little extra money. I thought it was a great deal. But stealing a backup SS is much easier than stealing even a mediocre bullpen guy. They are treasured in this league.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)
What irritates me is how the Sox always seem to be in a position where they're the team overpaying. Why can't someone offer us a substantial package for once? When it seems we have a surplus of talent, whether it's offense or pitching, there's never a Kenny Williams out there willing to overpay. Or even offer fair value. Sox never seem to be in a good position to trade talent. I just want one Liriano/Nathan trade for our club. Just one.

It would be great if some team desparate for starting pitching looked at Contreras and overpayed. One which made the possibility of injuries to our starting pitchers easy to overlook.

You know, if you followed my posts I think our minor league system sucks, so I don't think they have overpaid especailly if it gets us to the world series. All these guys are un proven. We won the World series, thats the goal always, who cares about minor league players. We are in a positioon to win NOW not later, there will be atime when they blow this thing up and start over again, its not this year or next year, our pitching is too good. He will find someone.

I respectfully disagree, KW stole cintron. "the Baj" sucked and will never be as good as he was in the minors. KW is targeting people already, hell I would go and get williamson off the cubs. there will be players and yes we will over pay by giving a couple of guys who will never make it anyway. If only borchard was decent, he would be one to make a trade.KW put himself in this situation he will get himself out. if he doesn't it will cost him the division.

Agreed, the Cintron trade was a steal IMO. And Scott Williamson would be a nice guy to trade for. He's rumored to be on the block and is under contract for one year and will earn $2 million this season. He could be used in setup and as a backup closer in case Jenks falters.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
I was saying KW had to ask for a little extra by asking JR for a little extra money. I thought it was a great deal. But stealing a backup SS is much easier than stealing even a mediocre bullpen guy. They are treasured in this league.

I think that whole askign for extra money is for the press. JR will not stand in the way of getting a bullpen guy to save a couple million. I justt can't see it.Also remember contraras is still a pawn to trade.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 06:08 PM)
Maybe, but I think it is going to be tougher than you think. EVERYBODY wants more bullpen help and nobody wants to give it up. Thats why decent relievers got ridiculous money this year and we are at the end of the waiver claim list. Oh well. I'll take a WS to get in that spot.

And starting pitching help? Contreras has pitched superd thus far in Spring Training. I know Williams has the health of his pitchers in mind, but seeing as few teams can legitmately say they have 5 good starters, I would think SOMEONE could use Contrereas. And overpay dearly for him. SF's hardthrower Valdez, as well as other noteable prospects, would sure look good on our club.

You may say, "Now we've substituted a good bullpen for a rotation one injury away from disaster," but the bullpen is far more questionable than the rotation. If one goes down, you'd still have four capable starters. Perhaps a trade of Contreras could land a quality SP prospect available if the worst scenario would to occur.

Probably won't happen, but that would be my wish--take advantage of a club desparate for starting pitching.

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 06:14 PM)
I think that whole askign for extra money is for the press. JR will not stand in the way of getting a bullpen guy to save a couple million. I justt can't see it.Also remember contraras is still a pawn to trade.

I can't believe that we would trade Contreras, who will likely be one of our best starters this year, especially because he is throwing strikes, just because we are worried about the 4 or 5th guy coming out of our pen.

I think KW is going to try to get by in the first couple of months with Cotts, Jenks, Politte, Bmac, Hermy?/Tracey (yuck)/other minor leaguer and our second lefty, then trade a month or two in if we need it.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 07:17 PM)
I can't believe that we would trade Contreras, who will likely be one of our best starters this year, especially because he is throwing strikes, just because we are worried about the 4 or 5th guy coming out of our pen.

I think KW is going to try to get by in the first couple of months with Cotts, Jenks, Politte, Bmac, Hermy?/Tracey (yuck)/other minor leaguer and our second lefty, then trade a month or two in if we need it.

Tracey sucks as well as our other minor league pitchers. Lets see who he gets in the next week or two. I think a trade will be made. Not contraras yet. Also, I am not starting a new conversation, but there are only a few ways to go with contraras.

1) trade him sometime this year.

2) keep him and take a chance on losing him

3) sign him soon. then trade mcarthy.

Think about it, either would bring a stud relief pitcher and maybe another minor league guy.

again not trying to start anything. I say keep them both if you can get anotehr decent relief pitcher.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 06:17 PM)

This is all hypothetical, of course, but the reason he's incredibly vital to our success is why I would believe a desperate club overpays for him. Williams just wouldn't accept crap in return.

But back to reality, Contreras' contract status and age concerns would likely prevent someone from overpaying. If something favorable to us couldn't occur before the season begins, hopefully someone blows us away with a trade proposal midseason.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 06:23 PM)
3) sign him soon. then trade mcarthy.

This freightens me. When Contreras' name was associated with Baltimore and the Dodgers, their fans were insisting McCarthy replaces him. McCarthy could probably land us a good package, but Williams shouldn't be forced to trade him. For his potential/salary, he's too valuable to this ballclub. Unless it's for the offensive equivalent of him, Brandon stays.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 07:37 PM)
This freightens me. When Contreras' name was associated with Baltimore and the Dodgers, their fans were insisting McCarthy replaces him. McCarthy could probably land us a good package, but Williams shouldn't be forced to trade him. For his potential/salary, he's too valuable to this ballclub. Unless it's for the offensive equivalent of him, Brandon stays.

If the sox sign contraras, which is a long shot, they will trade Mcarthy. Mcarthy is a starter not a reliever. this is why it was so important for hermanson to be healthy. There is no assurance that Mcarthy will pitch well out of the pen. They need a relief pitcher through trade. its a must. If clemons doesn't come back to the astros, then look for houston to get agressive on contraras.

Scott Williamson is supposedly not available at this time, the Cubs like what they're seeing from him.

All 30 teams are looking for a better bullpen but remember the Sox have a few chips to trade. I'm not talking about trading pitching, Contreras has looked great this spring.

The White Sox need one guy for now. They need a hard throwing RH who throws strikes and can go 2 innings. I agree, there will be a few available shortly.

As for a 2nd lefty they'll go with someone they have (Lopez, Almanza, Reynoso), there aren't many (or any) lefties available.

Watch for Gload or Borchard to get moved, I still believe they're not done tweaking this team yet. It is still fairly early in spring but Owens doesn't look ready to me, Borchard has not impressed, and though Gload can hit a bullpen arm is a more pressing need.

I smell a trade ... I see a bullpen arm coming in and I think they'll go outside for the last OF spot. Just my opinion.

If clemons doesn't come back to the astros, then look for houston to get agressive on contraras.

Yes it's the best fit but I still don't see it happening at this point. Contreras is looking too good and they are totally convinced McCarthy will contribute in the pen.

As for how it shakes out in 2007, who cares. That stuff tends to sort itself out.

PS I am mad as hell and surpirsed that KW didn't plan well for this bullpen. He has everything else covered, but the bullpen was key last year. It seems, he thought some of his minor league pitchers could make up for the holes, which they cannot.

If the sox sign contraras, which is a long shot, they will trade Mcarthy. Mcarthy is a starter not a reliever. this is why it was so important for hermanson to be healthy. There is no assurance that Mcarthy will pitch well out of the pen. They need a relief pitcher through trade. its a must. If clemons doesn't come back to the astros, then look for houston to get agressive on contraras.

I don't see that happening. KW would let Contreras leave via free agency and throw McCarthy into the rotation before he would sign Contreras and trade McCarthy. KW has all but stated that McCarthy is untradeable in his eyes.

PS I am mad as hell and surpirsed that KW didn't plan well for this bullpen. He has everything else covered, but the bullpen was key last year. It seems, he thought some of his minor league pitchers could make up for the holes, which they cannot.

I think KW was banking on Hermanson being healthy but now it's pretty obvious that he isn't. I don't have a big problem with KW banking on one of these random lefties to pan out. Afterall, the guy that wins the LOOGY job will only have to be able to get a lefty or two out.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
Scott Williamson is supposedly not available at this time, the Cubs like what they're seeing from him.

All 30 teams are looking for a better bullpen but remember the Sox have a few chips to trade.  I'm not talking about trading pitching, Contreras has looked great this spring.

The White Sox need one guy for now.  They need a hard throwing RH who throws strikes and can go 2 innings.  I agree, there will be a few available shortly.

As for a 2nd lefty they'll go with someone they have (Lopez, Almanza, Reynoso), there aren't many (or any) lefties available.

Watch for Gload or Borchard to get moved, I still believe they're not done tweaking this team yet.  It is still fairly early in spring but Owens doesn't look ready to me, Borchard has not impressed, and though Gload can hit a bullpen arm is a more pressing need.

I smell a trade ... I see a bullpen arm coming in and I think they'll go outside for the last OF spot.  Just my opinion.

Well gload and borchard suck, so I don't expect much of a pitcher in return. Owens is a better chip to trade.

Also on the topic of these lefties, what you look for up to this point in spring is how well they're throwing the ball. Are they throwing strikes, are they building velocity, etc.

Each of Reynoso, Almanza, and Lopez are throwing the ball well. I'm not too concerned with the actual results at this point and I suspect Guillen isn't either.

That's why Hermanson's situation is worrisome though. He's not throwing well. Neither is Redding.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 07:43 PM)
I don't see that happening.  KW would let Contreras leave via free agency and throw McCarthy into the rotation before he would sign Contreras and trade McCarthy.  KW has all but stated that McCarthy is untradeable in his eyes.

I believe chris young was at the top of his list also, and he is gone. Anyone is tradeable.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 07:46 PM)
Also on the topic of these lefties, what you look for up to this point in spring is how well they're throwing the ball.  Are they throwing strikes, are they building velocity, etc.

Each of Reynoso, Almanza, and Lopez are throwing the ball well.  I'm not too concerned with the actual results at this point and I suspect Guillen isn't either.

That's why Hermanson's situation is worrisome though.  He's not throwing well.  Neither is Redding.

I agree on the lefties, you can hide them because they are one batter pitchers although I think each would piss in there pants when hafner is up. Redding sucks, hermanson will be on and off all year, they need another arm and need one fast. I say kidnap one of these cuban guys.