Redskins Sign Randle El

According to ESPN.com

Former Steelers wide receiver Antwaan Randle El has agreed to a six-year deal with the Washington Redskins, a source familiar with the negotiations told ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

Randle El turned down a six-year, $18 million offer from the Bears that included $8 million to sign.

Well, at least the Bears don't have to worry about overpaying for him now. Good ol' Yankees. Wait, sorry, Redskins.

So, what should the Bears do about their wideout position now? Anyone else decent left on the FA market or the Draft? What about trading?

I think the Bills might be willing to move Eric Moulds if the offer was right, just based on last season (although hopefully he's slightly happier now that the coaches have changed). That would give the Bears 2 vets at the Wideout spots, but they'd be getting up in years.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
$31 million for Randle El?  You think being underneath that is just being "cheap"?

Maybe not, but the Bears will never sign the big free agents and take the next step, especially after a season like last year. Same old sorry act, even if maybe in this case they were right.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
This is no doubt dissapointing.  But the Bears offer was more than fair.  I guess I read too much into the "coming back home" stuff.

Bunch of bulls***, always is. It is ALL about the money 99 percent of the time. People like Paulie are a RARE RARE RARE exception to the rule.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
This is no doubt dissapointing.  But the Bears offer was more than fair.  I guess I read too much into the "coming back home" stuff.

I heard him say he would need to be overwhelmed to signed with another team other than the bears so Redskins did.

He would have been good as a PR/KR, and a 3rd WR. The bears need a WR that can step up to be a #2 or #3.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
I heard him say he would need to be overwhelmed to signed with another team other than the bears so Redskins did.

He would have been good as a PR/KR, and a 3rd WR. The bears need a WR that can step up to be a #2 or #3.

I still think Bradley and Berrian can step up and fill those Roles. But I really wanted Randle EL. He would've given this team an added demension that they've never had.

Bunch of bulls***, always is.  It is ALL about the money 99 percent of the time.  People like Paulie are a RARE RARE RARE exception to the rule.

Paulie got 5 years, $60 million. He's not exactly hurting for cash because he stayed here. He turned down $5 million more and playing for a crappy team in Baltimore to stay where he is loved. Not really a tough decision. I'm glad he decided to take a bit less money to stay here but I think you're overstating it a bit.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
Shocking to see the Bears lose out for being cheap.

i don't totally agree with this. last year the bears had a clear need at wide receiver and went out and shelled out good money for muhammed. the year before that they shelled out pretty good coin for tait and t.j. going back to bryan cox the bears have ponied up for some free agents who were considered high-priced at the time. their problem has been shelling out big cash to the "right" guys.

now, i will admit that the bears have not had a year where they just shot their load and appeared to be "going for it." but, teams that have done that lately don't have a whole helluva lot to show for it.

Washington now has Moss II, Brandon Lloyd, David Patten and El. That is a hell of a crew. I think Lloyd might take the number two spot. He is a solid deep route runner which leaves EL and Patten sharing 3 & 4. I just don't know how far Brunnell will be able to throw the ball. It can be pretty tough to drop back when you are using a walker.

I don't think the Bears are in need of a WR too badly. I think Bradley steps up and wins the number two spot.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
Washington now has Moss II, Brandon Lloyd, David Patten and El. That is a hell of a crew. I think Lloyd might take the number two spot. He is a solid deep route runner which leaves EL and Patten sharing 3 & 4. I just don't know how far Brunnell will be able to throw the ball. It can be pretty tough to drop back when you are using a walker.

I don't think the Bears are in need of a WR too badly. I think Bradley steps up and wins the number two spot.

I hate Dan Snyder and the Redskins. You guys feel the same way now? :D

Just think if a new CBA wasn't reached, this may not hav happened, as the Skins may not have had the cap-room to do this.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 12:29 AM)
I hate Dan Snyder and the Redskins. You guys feel the same way now?  :D

Just think if a new CBA wasn't reached, this may not hav happened, as the Skins may not have had the cap-room to do this.

I was hoping the talks would fall apart. I figure they would have worked something out in the next year anyway, and I would have loved to watch the Redskins wet themselves in the meantime.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
Maybe not, but the Bears will never sign the big free agents and take the next step, especially after a season like last year.  Same old sorry act, even if maybe in this case they were right.

Randle El is a big free agent? I view him as more like a glorified #3 receiver. OMG TRICK PLAYS!1!!1!11!!

Hell of a special teamer(which can be found in the mid-to-late rounds in the draft if a team needs one), great for the occasional WR pass, and good as a 3rd option. That's about all I see Randle El as being. Not worth $5 mill a year...not worth $4 mill a year. The Bears will be just fine without him.

considering we just not 2 long ago signed guys Like Moose, Tait, basicly Ogunleye since we traded and than signed an extension, Thomas Jones.... Id say the Bears are willing to pay money to bring in impact players... they just arent going to overpay for someone like Randle El whose impact on offense will be minimal.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 06:36 PM)

David Patten - 5'10"

Santana Moss- 5'10"

Brandon Lloyd- 6'0"

Antwaan Randle El- 5'10"

This has to be the shortest group of 4 recievers in the NFL.

s*** the Bears should just deal with it and sign TO...yeah the guy is a jag off but if he plays like he normally does and scores huge TD's then who cares what he wants to say, plus who out there is a better talent or option than him? Plus if he gets too out of hand sick Olin on his ass... :bang

Edited by EvilJester99