Sox seeing depth behind the plate

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Sox seeing depth behind the plate

A number of up-and-coming catchers enjoying solid spring

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Though the organization is rich with prospects knocking on the door of the Major Leagues, the White Sox have been without much catching depth in their system in the recent past.

From the looks of a few performances during Spring Training, that vacancy is about to be filled.

Chris Stewart and Gustavo Molina have made strong impressions during their stints in Arizona, and Donny Lucy appears to be on the right track once again after fracturing his right ring finger, an injury that sidelined him for two months last year. Lucy, a career .251 hitter over two seasons in the Minors, was a second-round selection in the 2004 First-Year Player Draft.

But it's Stewart who looks to be the top prospect among the young catchers, gaining key information about the position from working with veterans A.J. Pierzynski and Chris Widger on a daily basis.

"I've learned more than a couple of things," said the 24-year-old Stewart, in regard to the help provided by Pierzynski and Widger. "I'm more relaxed. I was very antsy in the past.

"I'm also more confident with my overall game. I know what I'm doing back there. They have that confidence factor, which you need to have. I picked that up, and I hope to take it with me this season."

Stewart was picked in the 12th round of the 2001 First-Year Player Draft and was tagged as a "strong defense, weak offense" sort of backstop. That description changed in 2005, when he set career highs in average (.286), home runs (11) and RBIs (51) for Double-A Birmingham.

That solid offensive showing has continued for Stewart during Cactus League play, during which he has hit .300 in limited action. It's an individual part of the game that Stewart knew he had to develop.

"I learned what to look for, overall, and the mentality of being a good hitter," said Stewart, who hopes to start 2006 at Triple-A Charlotte. "I've always been pretty good defensively, but the offensive game was a little behind."

Molina, 24, begins his seventh season with the organization. He also is coming off his best offensive year, hitting .261 with 11 home runs and 41 RBIs for Class A Winston-Salem. But White Sox pitchers truly seem to like to throw to Molina, with a couple even signaling him out during the spring for his work in handling the hurlers.

Whether it's Molina, Stewart or Lucy, a one-time weak position grows stronger with each passing day.

On the move: Ryan Sweeney has found his power stroke. After hitting just one home run over 429 at-bats for Birmingham in 2005, Sweeney already has launched three during Spring Training. The 21-year-old doesn't want to make excuses, but the offseason healing process for his sore right wrist and the ensuing reduction of pain has made it possible for him to swing fluidly again.

Neither Ray Liotta nor Charles Haeger will make the White Sox out of Arizona, but they certainly will have some interesting Cactus League experiences to take with them. Liotta pitched against the Angels in Tempe last week and gets a chance to pitch on Monday in Phoenix against Oakland. Haeger, the knuckleballer, starts on Monday against Oakland and is scheduled to make the start on Saturday at home against the Cubs, in the first of two games between the Chicago baseball teams in Arizona.

Names in the game: After serving as first-base coach for the White Sox during the 2003 and 2004 seasons under manager Jerry Manuel, Rafael Santana now has taken on his own managerial responsibilities. Santana, who held the position of Minor League infield instructor for the White Sox in 2005, has taken over at Class A Winston-Salem for 2006. J.R. Perdew serves as the team's pitching coach, and Ryan Long, who collected his first Major League hit off Randy Johnson in 1997, will be the Warthogs' hitting coach under Santana.

They're No. 1: Josh Fields, the team's top pick in the 2004 First-Year Player Draft, is tied with Sweeney for the team lead in total bases and home runs during Cactus League action. Not only is Fields more than satisfied with his .500 average and three home runs, the third baseman also has been driving the ball to right-center. He is at his best offensively when he's hitting to all fields.

During three games this spring, Brian Anderson has batted leadoff, a position he won't find himself in very much during the 2006 season. Though the results haven't been there consistently, he feels as if his hitting stroke is coming around. The White Sox also added some indirect protection for Anderson with the acquisition of infielder Alex Cintron. Rob Mackowiak now will be used primarily to back up Joe Crede at third and in the outfield, where he can spell Anderson against tough right-handers from time to time.

Class of '05: Lance Broadway continues to be the only player from last year's class to see any sort of Major League action. The right-hander, selected out of TCU in last year's First-Year Player Draft, has a 13.50 ERA in two games. He is scheduled to throw after Liotta against Oakland on Monday.

Stat machine: Who is Boone Logan? The 6-foot-5 left-hander, who resides in Helotes, Texas, made an instant name for himself last Sunday, when he struck out both Mackowiak and Jim Thome during 1 1/3 innings of work as part of a 'B' game. Logan also has pitched scoreless baseball during one game at the Major League level, but he probably will start the year at Winston-Salem.

Liotta has allowed one run over three innings in his two games. Fields and Sweeney are two of the top offensive performers among the entire team, and fleet-footed shortstop Robert Valido carried a .267 average into Sunday's contest.

What they're saying: "Compared to a couple of years ago, our catching depth has increased tenfold. It's created more competition for me, but I welcome it. I just have to keep working hard, and hopefully, I'll get out there one day." -- Stewart, on the talented young catchers in the White Sox system

Gustavo Molina?

Is he related?

Please tell me he is.

Edit: Damn, he's not. But for future reference, what say we put it in the contract of all minor league catchers that they must legally change their name to Molina?

Edited by jackie hayes

What ever happend to my man Ben Davis?

Latest News  Jan. 6, 2006 - 6:17 pm et

Yankees signed catcher Ben Davis to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

Davis might still be a decent backup, but he wasn't going to get the opportunity this year after missing much of last season following Tommy John surgery. A good showing in Triple-A could help land him a job in 2007.

He fled the country with Timo after the the two of them stole $2M last year. Criminals. The FBI is looking for them, and they always get their man.

:lol:

Edited by SSH2005