NW Indiana and South Burbs people

Soxy

Hi guys,

I'll be driving into town on Tuesday from NY. The problem is that the traffic around the 290/94/something is horrible. I was wondering if you guys knew of any secret routes that would be faster. I was looking at taking 30 in from Indiana (which would drop me not far from my house), but would really appreciate any help about the best route.

Muchas gracias in advance.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 12:49 AM)
Soxy,

Where are you going exactly?

^

Depending on where exactly you are going, there might be bad news or even worse news... The traffic situation south of Chicago is HORRIBLE right now. They are literally working on EVERYTHING.

Route 30 is a decent pathway through...but you have to be willing to tolerate stoplights. Someone else can tell you if it's under construction.

When I was trying to slip through, the couple of roads I always wound up using were I-90 in Indiana (the toll road...separate from 94 until you get to the Illinois Border...it's also possible to ditch it south to 30 at several points if you don't want to head up on the Skyway towards the city.)

There are several other more backish roads that I've taken through there with varying success...Routes 12 and 20 will get you through NW Indiana without terrible troubles at most times, but again you have the stoplight problem. Also, Route 6/Ridge road is pretty useful for getting through NW Indiana, but it dies off when you cross the Illinois border & you'll wind up trying to find an entrance to 394.

If I were trying to totally avoid the highways, I would probably take 90 to 294, take that south to Route 6, follow 6 all the way through Gary to either Indianapolis Blvd (route 41) or Calumet Avenue, then take those streets south to 30, and jet to the west the rest of the way along 30/Lincoln Highway. The stoplights get more spread out once you start getting into Illinois...especially once you're through Matteson and the mall there.

Side note...if you take Calumet...it actually ends before it hits 30...at the last stoplight you have to make a right & head West 1 street, then that street will go through to route 30.

Highway 30 is your best bet if you hit at rush hour. It'll be busy, but not nearly as bad as traffic on 80/94/90 will be. I would take 65 south to 30 and jump on it there, as the construction starts soon after I-65, and really continues for 10-15 miles between the work they are doing in IN and in IL. Also it is always a good idea to jump on AM 780 as you approach that areas for the traffic on the 8s to hear if any one route is messed up or not. That might save you some grief and headaches.

And finally, good luck girl, you are going to need it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
Highway 30 is your best bet if you hit at rush hour.  It'll be busy, but not nearly as bad as traffic on 80/94/90 will be.  I would take 65 south to 30 and jump on it there, as the construction starts soon after I-65, and really continues for 10-15 miles between the work they are doing in IN and in IL.  Also it is always a good idea to jump on AM 780 as you approach that areas for the traffic on the 8s to hear if any one route is messed up or not.  That might save you some grief and headaches.

And finally, good luck girl, you are going to need it.

If I-65 doesn't look good, there are 2 exits in-between 80/94 and 30, both of which can be used. If you're heading south on 65, immediately after you get off, there's an exit on to Ridge Road, which i mentionned earlier. You can take that west and make good time on most days.

After a few more miles, you'll come to 61st avenue in Merrillville...that exit works too if you're trying to get to 30...take 61st going West, and you can make a left onto Broadway and go to 30, or if you prefer stop signs to stop lights, you can take 61st, stay on it until it ends...make a left hand turn onto 55, and that will take you up to route 30 while still bypassing a ton of stoplights.