Isaac Hayes Quits South Park

LowerCaseRepublican

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060313/ap_en_...ple_isaac_hayes

NEW YORK -

Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

have you guys ever seen teh behind the scenes south park documentary?

They talk about how they tried to get him on the show and this was there opening statement:

"yeah......so basically we're doing a cartoon about some colorado kids.............and your character is going to be the only black person in the entire town."

They said they had to try real hard to not get him to leave right there, :lolhitting

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
I'm of the position that Scientology just deserves to be made fun of and everyone who believes in it, too. ::shrug:: But what he's doing is hypocritical. What a b****!

No he is right. Other religions that have been around for centuries need to be made fun of. Scientology, who was invented by a writer, and is the "trendy" religion, is too serious to be mocked.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
No he is right.  Other religions that have been around for centuries need to be made fun of.  Scientology, who was invented by a writer, and is the "trendy" religion, is too serious to be mocked.

^^^^^^^^

Green implied.

Is scientology overly represented by f***ing retarded douchebag Hollywood types? I honestly cannot understand how stupid you have to be to fall for this garbage.

And to solve the problem of chef, I'm sure there are plenty of people that can do a great impression of Isaac Hayes. There's your answer.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
Is scientology overly represented by f***ing retarded douchebag Hollywood types?  I honestly cannot understand how stupid you have to be to fall for this garbage.

And to solve the problem of chef, I'm sure there are plenty of people that can do a great impression of Isaac Hayes.  There's your answer.

Despite the hypocrite that voices him, I really liked the Chef character as well as many others did. Chef needs to go out with a bang, not get a new voice. Lets not have another Dukes of Hazzard disaster, I was ruined from the switch of the Dukes actors.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
So are they going to make fun of Isaac or, out of respect for his years with the show, will they just let his hypocrisy slide?

I think his final meetings with Parker and Stone would have a lot to do with that, wouldnt you? Those two are never known to pull any punches, we will see if Hayes got nasty with them over this, or if he just quit.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
For people who dont know what Scientology is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

Basically, its like Trekkies, but with crazier members.

You know, whenever I think of L Ron Hubbard, I think of that lame commercial with a slow pan over a cartoon volcano and some Narrator saying "Dianetics" very important-like. I think I saw that commercial during cartoons in the mornings every morning before school in the 80's.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
Has anybody ever read Dianetics here? Flaxx? Tex? I tried reading Battlefield Earth years ago, but that just sucked so bad I had to stop. 90 pages in and I was sick of the word "Man-Animal".  :bang

No I have not nor would I read it. And like you, I tried and failed to get through the craptacular Battlefield Earth.

As for "Man-Animal," I've reluctantly gotten used to the ladies referring to me that way. :D

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
Has anybody ever read Dianetics here? Flaxx? Tex? I tried reading Battlefield Earth years ago, but that just sucked so bad I had to stop. 90 pages in and I was sick of the word "Man-Animal".  :bang

Dianetics is now just a part of scientology. Just shows how retarded people in Hollywood truly are.