Who's on the radar?

kevo880

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 18, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
Most people are expecting the sox to pick up a guy who could start the yr with the sox though.

IMO, the sox got Nomo for the same things people are expecting from a guy like Osuna--help for AAA and an outside shot at helping this yr.

Well would you think Osuna or Nomo has more left in the tank right now?

It's going to be hard for the Sox to trade for a guy who can help right now and start in the bullpen straight away. 29 other teams want the same thing, and there's not much on the market at the moment.

I'd suggested trading for guys like Jermaine Van Buren who won't be on their team's bullpen because of too much depth. If that option can't be taken, and you don't want to give up too much for a good reliever, unless you want to sign someone like Danny Graves who could be released from the Indians if he doesn;t make their bullpen (4 guys fighting for 1 spot), then you have to look at signing a guy like Osuna.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 18, 2006 -> 02:19 AM)
Read the thread again.  I'm not the one telling you to stop talking about a certain player or poking fun at your "man-love" for Juan Cruz.

I can read. You felt obligated to correct my joke that Osuna was close to 40. I also know that when you get something stuck in your mind you tend to go a little overboard. This might be one those cases.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 18, 2006 -> 02:24 AM)
Well would you think Osuna or Nomo has more left in the tank right now?

It's going to be hard for the Sox to trade for a guy who can help right now and start in the bullpen straight away. 29 other teams want the same thing, and there's not much on the market at the moment.

I'd suggested trading for guys like Jermaine Van Buren who won't be on their team's bullpen because of too much depth. If that option can't be taken, and you don't want to give up too much for a good reliever, unless you want to sign someone like Danny Graves who could be released from the Indians if he doesn;t make their bullpen (4 guys fighting for 1 spot), then you have to look at signing a guy like Osuna.

Nomo has thrown some innings the last few yrs. But both aren't very good options.

With the high price for relievers, I thought a decent option would be to have Ray Liotta throw in the pen.

Getting a guy who has some upside makes sense. We'll know some guys who are the 26th, 27th roster guys like Van Buren in a few weeks

I can read. You felt obligated to correct my joke that Osuna was close to 40. I also know that when you get something stuck in your mind you tend to go a little overboard. This might be one those cases.

Okay, here we go...

You seem to think that Osuna is too old for our bullpen even though he's the same age as Politte (32) and a year younger than Hermanson. Then you say that Hideo Nomo would probably give us the same performance as Osuna out of the bullpen. Hideo Nomo is a 37 year old starter who has never really pitched out of a bullpen so how can you make this assumption? That just doesn't make much sense to me.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 18, 2006 -> 02:31 AM)
Okay, here we go...

You seem to think that Osuna is too old for our bullpen even though he's the same age as Politte (32) and a year younger than Hermanson.  Then you say that Hideo Nomo would give us the same performance as Osuna out of the bullpen.  Hideo Nomo is a 37 year old starter who has never really pitched out of a bullpen so how can you make this assumption?  That doesn't make much sense to me.

Having thrown such few innings the last few yrs, due to injuries, is mostly the reason why I'd pass on Osuna. He last threw 50 innings back in 2003, 2002? You never asked me why I'd pass on him. Now you know :D

Having thrown such few innings the last few yrs, due to injuries, is mostly the reason why I'd pass on Osuna. He last threw 50 innings back in 2003, 2002? You never asked me why I'd pass on him. Now you know :D

Okay, that makes much more sense than just saying he's too old.

Okay, so what other options are out there guys? I think that Beane would try to rob anyone for Juan Cruz since he's having a great spring so far.

Here is what I know on all of this subject matter being discussed in this thread ...

We all know KW and staff have their eyes open for relief help. They always do, even when the bullpen is stacked. There will be a whole bunch of guys available in about 10 days, guys who are out of options or need to be traded for some reason.

We can rest assured they will pick up somebody they like, whether it's the right move or not, only time will tell.

In the meantime ... they want to give these non roster guys with big league experience as much time as possible to show their wares. Not only for the White Sox but for other teams. That's just part of the game, sometimes you do favors for a guy and let him show what, if anything, he's got left. I suspect Tim Redding is in this category and they can always carry him for a few weeks (doubtful) if they can't land anyone else.

Nomo ... he is in camp to show all 30 teams what he's got left. The question is, would he be agreeable to be an innings eater just to stay in the bigs, and on a team that could win? Maybe. We do not know the whole story here.

Osuna ... he has had bad shoulder problems before. I'm sure he's on White Sox radar if he's close to 100% healthy. I have my doubts but who knows, he has been pitching lately. My biggest concern is he gets hurt a lot and the White Sox went thru that scenario with him before.

Juan Cruz ... I would love to get him but I just do not see the A's helping the White Sox, nor do I think the White Sox have anything the A's want. But never say never.

Lastly, I would not be surprised if we saw neither Borchard or Gload as the 25th guy, just a hunch, but there will be lots of outfielders who can capably play all three positions available in 10 days.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 18, 2006 -> 02:38 AM)
Okay, so what other options are out there guys?  I think that Beane would try to rob anyone for Juan Cruz since he's having a great spring so far.

I think we'll know more once the final roster spots are secured around the league. Probably a veteran bullpen guy making more than $1 mill. who's beat out by younger, cheaper talent.

I wouldn't mind giving Nomo a shot at relieving this spring but I know that it probably won't work. He has been a starter for his entire career, throws around 85 MPH, and his delivery is not at all conducive to bullpen work -- baserunners would steal on him all day long. Worth a shot but I'm sure KW is looking at bigger and better options.

Keep an eye on the Diamondbacks, they have a ton of guys for their bullpen, a bunch of non roster guys in camp too. They'll need to move a guy or two.

Koplove, Casey Daigle, or even Vizcaino, plus one or two others.

I don't see them trading Vizcaino back to us because their bullpen was so bad last season that they see him as a HUGE improvement/addition.

Wow, Koplove could be a good option. Didn't even think of him. He's put up pretty good numbers except for last season...

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/NASApp...7377&statType=2

Maybe the heavy workload of 2004 (86.2 IP) got to him?

Koplove had some mechanical flaws their pitching staff was working on. He's got a guaranteed deal I believe but he's not on their 40 man and I'm pretty sure the Dbacks 40 man is full or close to it. They will need to move a guy or two.

Personally I think Casey Daigle is a good fit.

Edited by JimH

Koplove had some mechanical flaws their pitching staff was working on.  He's got a guaranteed deal I believe but he's not on their 40 man and I'm pretty sure the Dbacks 40 man is full or close to it.  They will need to move a guy or two.

Personally I think Casey Daigle is a good fit.

Yeah, Koplove is signed for $1.175 million this season and is arbitration eligible in 2007 and 2008 and he's listed as a non-roster invitee. He's another side-armer like Logan and Lopez but from the right side. I don't know much about Daigle but he seems to give up a ton of hits in the minors and majors. He was a 1st round pick so he must have some talent though.

Edited by SSH2005

I'm not very high on Daigle.  He doesn't seem to be able to find the strike zone and that is a big no-no with Ozzie.  I don't know much about Daigle but he seems to give up a ton of hits in the minors and majors.

His history is spotty but my dad says there's been a few write ups about him, they switched him to relief in AAA or AA last year, he did a great job. He changed his mechanics, may have added something to his repetoire too.

He is a guy like Borchard, the Dbacks love Daigle, he is a good kid, solid citizen, so if they're forced to move him they want to get him into a good situation.

AZ fans have soured on Koplove pretty hard. I saw him first hand give up a 3 run shot to Dimitri Young last year IIRC, and they were booing the heck out of him for that.

Don't know whether his problems could be fixed by Coop or whatever though. Could possibly be an interesting option.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
His history is spotty but my dad says there's been a few write ups about him, they switched him to relief in AAA or AA last year, he did a great job.  He changed his mechanics, may have added something to his repetoire too.

He is a guy like Borchard, the Dbacks love Daigle, he is a good kid, solid citizen, so if they're forced to move him they want to get him into a good situation.

I don't think much of Daigle other than his wife. I just think this guy is a career minor leaguer and we have lots of those.