Who's on the radar?

kevo880

*Looks like the Phils could use Borchard. Seeing how they don't have a 4th OFer let alone a 5th. I haven't looked at their bullpen guys but the Phils would seem to be a place to look for a trade. It said in the article the Phils are looking for an Ofer who hits left handed--hollins is righty.

--------------------------------------------

Rays shopping Hollins

March 19

Philadelphia Inquirer (scroll down) (registration required): "The Devil Rays have a glut of outfielders and are looking to deal Damon Hollins, who entered Friday leading AL teams with seven stolen bases in exhibition play... The Phillies are looking for a fifth outfielder."

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the Phillies trading away any of their bullpen arms. That was an area of weakness for them last year and they have tried to improve it this offseason. They will probably wait for a guy like Luis Terrero of the Diamondbacks to be placed on waivers or trade a bag of balls for him.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
I don't see the Phillies trading away any of their bullpen arms.  That was an area of weakness for them last year and they have tried to improve it this offseason.  They will probably wait for a guy like Luis Terrero of the Diamondbacks to be placed on waivers or trade a bag of balls for him.

Looking at them, the Phils don't really have any decent bullpen arms to trade.

Here's another name to throw in the hopper. It's from an ESPN article rating the top 5 WBC players who are big-league ready.

3. Pedro Luis Lazo (Cuba)

At 6-3 and 235 pounds, Lazo is a physically imposing right-handed pitcher reminiscent of Roberto Hernandez in his prime. The 32-year-old veteran -- one of the greatest Cuban pitchers ever -- has a smooth delivery with little deception and has been used in multiple roles in the Classic. With a fastball that tops out at 96 and a bone-crushing slider with a late-breaking tilt, Lazo's electric stuff can dominate an opposing lineup no matter when he enters the game. Frequently delivering from a high three-quarters slot and throwing his sinkers and sliders low in the zone, Lazo ends up pitching downhill (as the scouts say) -- thus making his pitches very hard to elevate for power. He throws few off-speed pitches but varies his arm angles and isn't afraid to straighten up hitters by pitching inside when needed. Even his waste pitches are carefully located to induce hitters to swing at them.

Lazo could pitch in the majors tomorrow if given the chance. While he is capable of starting games and could also close them, he would probably be best used as a durable setup pitcher. In that role, Lazo could go two or three innings if needed and could also pitch on consecutive days. The only questions are how many miles are left on his career odometer and how many years his strong right arm could stand the strain of facing big-league power bats every day.

I'm not really serious, since it would require him to defect and then for us to outbid others for his talents, but he appears better than some other names tossed around in this post, and we have done well with Cuban pitchers....

Here's another name to throw in the hopper. 

I'm not really serious, since it would require him to defect and then for us to outbid others for his talents, but he appears better than some other names tossed around in this post, and we have done well with Cuban pitchers....

Why post it then?

I prefer to live in reality.

Fidel would probably have his family beaten and living in a shack if he defected.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
Why post it then?

I prefer to live in reality.

Are Juan Cruz and Antonio Osuna any closer to reality?

In 257 posts, I don't think anyone has figured out who the Sox might add to the bullpen.

In 257 posts, I don't think anyone has figured out who the Sox might add to the bullpen.

Yes I think Cruz and Osuna are closer to reality, seeing as neither live in Cuba or are under certain constraints from Fidel Castro.

However, if you can't grasp this concept, that's fine, I will leave it alone. Wouldn't want you complaining or anything.

Come on, dude. Juan Cruz is supposedly on the trading block and Antonio Osuna is a free agent. Neither player would have to defect from a country to join a new team. Both players are more reasonable options than Pedro Lazo.

I think the Sox will try to acquire that lefty from Seattle named Matt Thornton.

Edited by SSH2005