Who's on the radar?

kevo880

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
Don't you get the feeling if you're not in with our skipper, you don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of being a guy he'll go to in crunch time?

Ozzie is a pretty ballsy cat.  If you're not on board with what he's trying to do and the tight ship he likes to run, you probably don't stand a good chance of not just being on the team, but, getting any confidence from the manager during the season.

It seemed like Ozzie just ate Marte--a guy rumored to have a very easy-goin, carefree, sheepish attitude--up and I'm betting Munoz was a similar situation.

The thing with Marte is interesting, and probably accurate. When an easy-going Manuel was in charge, Marte was lights out. He just might not have been comfortable with all the noise that comes with Ozzie.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
He will be more screwed up in the mind by the end of April there. Fogg needs to realize that he is and always will be a mediocre starter at best. He could be a pretty decent middle reliever. I loved the foghorn when he used to strikeout guys at Comiskey Park II.

I agree completely, fogg needs to get real So does Willie Harris.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 09:36 PM)
I sent Ozzie a couple of emails last year. He responded to one, but the one asking if he and Harold would buy me and my buddy some beers went unanswered. You can try to insult me, but I have been talking about bullpen problems since before the winter meetings. KW said at Soxfest the bullpen was strong. He was either BSing or drunk.

I'm not insulting you. I was being serious. Obviously you know something that KW doesn't and he needs to be informed as soon as possible. I mean, what the heck is he doing out there? He's acting like he just put together a team that won the world series.

Seriously dude. I'm pretty sure KW has a pretty good handle on things, no matter what you have been talking about.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 09:40 PM)
I'm not insulting you. I was being serious. Obviously you know something that KW doesn't and he needs to be informed as soon as possible. I mean, what the heck is he doing out there? He's acting like he just put together a team that won the world series.

Seriously dude. I'm pretty sure KW has a pretty good handle on things, no matter what you have been talking about.

KW did win the WS, that doesn't mean everything he does is gold. Vizcaino was a punching bag on this board last year. I make it even money that neither Politte or Hermanson put up better numbers than he did last year. Please don't call me dude.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
KW did win the WS, that doesn't mean everything he does is gold. Vizcaino was a punching bag on this board last year. I make it even money that neither Politte or Hermanson put up better numbers than he did last year. Please don't call me dude.

You mean you don't think Politte is going to post an ERA in the 1's this year? Something only 5 relievers in the AL with over 30 IP did last year? Way to go out on a limb.

My point is KW knows exactly what is going on with this bullpen. Exactly what he can afford to trade and who for. Exactly what he is doing. Certainly moreso than anybody on this board does.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
Why would the World Champions fill their staff with lesser team's cuts?

because they are better than than the crap we have in the minors, and they made a mistake by not addressing this need in the off season. Either that or trade a top prospect and get a real good pitcher.

ok back on subject, Jim, what the hell is out there? there has to be a handful of players about to get cut, any speculation on who?

Someone on this thread made a very valid point, look for teams who want to lop some payroll. Similarly, look for teams who like our fringe guys. Washington has a ton of arms in camp, so do the Mets, those two teams always make personnel mistakes.

Piratees or Rockies might want Borchard, as for Gload your guess is as good as mine.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
Someone on this thread made a very valid point, look for teams who want to lop some payroll. Similarly, look for teams who like our fringe guys.  Washington has a ton of arms in camp, so do the Mets, those two teams always make personnel mistakes.

Piratees or Rockies might want Borchard, as for Gload your guess is as good as mine.

I still think williamson is available. I know what the Cubs say no in the press, but I think its to get the asking price higher. The cubs have a few arms this year in the pen. Love to give them back gload.

I still think williamson is available. I know what the Cubs say no in the press, but I think its to get the asking price higher. The cubs have a few arms this year in the pen. Love to give them back gload.

We have talked about Williamson, he would be a great fit. Whether it's a shell game or not in terms of his availability, we'll know in 2-3 weeks.

That article about Boone Logan is a good one, the most interesting part is Ozzie saying his 25 man roster could have some surprises.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
We have talked about Williamson, he would be a great fit.  Whether it's a shell game or not in terms of his availability, we'll know in 2-3 weeks.

That article about Boone Logan is a good one, the most interesting part is Ozzie saying his 25 man roster could have some surprises.

Well considering there are two bullpen spots open, I would say he is right.

Edited by quickman

Gload probably isn't enough to net Williamson. Besides, they have John Mabry to back up Derrek Lee anyways. Lee doesn't ride the pine much.

despite what the sox say, once urbina gets out of jail, he is in a sox uni.

Agreed, it seems like KW has no problem bringing in Ozzie's buddies (Garcia, Vazquez).

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
You mean you don't think Politte is going to post an ERA in the 1's this year? Something only 5 relievers in the AL with over 30 IP did last year? Way to go out on a limb.

My point is KW knows exactly what is going on with this bullpen. Exactly what he can afford to trade and who for. Exactly what he is doing. Certainly moreso than anybody on this board does.

No, I mean neither will match the 3.78 Vizcaino put up last year. He didn't pay as much attention to the bullpen as he did last offseason when in reality it was his #1 priority. Coming in he had Shingo who was coming off a year just as good or better than Jenks had. Hermanson, Politte, Cotts all who will be hard-pressed to match or even come close to what they did last year. Marte who was not good, but is a hall of famer compared to some of the guys they signed. And Vizcaino, who wasn't great, but was a guy with a rubber arm who could eat innings. BMac is probably better than any of them, but I can't see the Sox throwing him in 65 games. The other thing he had was back-up plans if guys faltered. Shingo faltered in comes Hermanson. Hermanson goes down, there's Jenks. Pitchers are going to go down, that's just part of the game. The Sox only used 6 starters last year. Its been a long time since a team was able to say that, and that scenerio probably won't repeat itself. That would mean BMac will most likely be in the rotation at some point, making the bullpen worse. It is a huge problem for a team trying to win another championship. A thin bullpen has been the achilles heel of many otherwise great teams.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
Gload probably isn't enough to net Williamson.  Besides, they have John Mabry to back up Derrek Lee anyways.  Lee doesn't ride the pine much.

Agreed, it seems like KW has no problem bringing in Ozzie's buddies (Garcia, Vazquez).

true, good points, Damn it

Edited by quickman

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
No, I mean neither will match the 3.78 Vizcaino put up last year. He didn't pay as much attention to the bullpen as he did last offseason when in reality it was his #1 priority. Coming in he had Shingo who was coming off a year just as good or better than Jenks had. Hermanson, Politte, Cotts all who will be hard-pressed to match or even come close to what they did last year. Marte who was not good, but is a hall of famer compared to some of the guys they signed. And Vizcaino, who wasn't great, but was a guy with a rubber arm who could eat innings. BMac is probably better than any of them, but I can't see the Sox throwing him in 65 games.  The other thing he had was back-up plans if guys faltered. Shingo faltered in comes Hermanson. Hermanson goes down, there's Jenks. Pitchers are going to go down, that's just part of the game. The Sox only used 6 starters last year. Its been a long time since a team was able to say that, and that scenerio probably won't repeat itself. That would mean BMac will most likely be in the rotation at some point, making the bullpen worse. It is a huge problem for a team trying to win another championship. A thin bullpen has been the achilles heel of many otherwise great teams.

Um, just because you have it in your head that Politte and Cotts will suck doesn't mean Kenny does. If Hermanson was healthy, there wouldn't even be anything to really talk about. Kenny gambled that he would be. He was wrong. Now lets exhibit some patience and give the man a chance to do what he does best.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006