Big Hurt talks nice

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Big Hurt talks nice

Champion White Sox honored by Arizona governor

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

PHOENIX, Ariz. -- A physically fit Frank Thomas took batting practice Monday at Phoenix Stadium, prior to a contest between Oakland, Thomas' current team, and his employers for the past 16 years from Chicago's South Side. Truth be told, Thomas looked a bit out of place in the white pants and the green jersey.

Thomas talked with White Sox hitting coach Greg Walker around the batting cage and stopped to talk with Jermaine Dye down the right-field line. He even took some good-natured ribbing from White Sox third base coach Joey Cora during his hitting session.

But what Thomas avoided was saying anything negative about the White Sox, leaving the heated war of words with general manager Ken Williams from two weeks ago to fade into the background. In fact, Thomas made a point of informing the seven or eight members of the Chicago media surrounding his locker that he was done talking about his old team.

"I'm going to be honest. I've got nothing more to say about the White Sox," said Thomas, in response to a question about the team's perceived lack of leadership, according to former teammate Carl Everett. "It's time to turn the page. I'm out of there. Big Frank has officially left the building.

"I don't wish any misfortunes on anybody. I'm not there anymore, so I can't worry about what's going on over there."

Thomas, who originally stated that he deserved a more respectful send-off when the White Sox traded for Jim Thome, re-signed Paul Konerko and ended his tenure in Chicago, spoke of the early adjustment to wearing a uniform other than his familiar No. 35 with the White Sox. He updated his healing process in regard to his left ankle, announcing that he ran for the first time all spring on Monday and reported no ill effects. The White Sox career leader in home runs also explained that his second ankle injury was different from his first one.

The original injury was a fracture of the left navicular, but the latest problem was a spiral facture in the same area that has since healed. Thomas believes the second injury developed from coming back too quickly last season, contrary to what he said at the time.

There was no conversation between manager Ozzie Guillen and Thomas. But Guillen had nothing but conciliatory words for Thomas, as well as being happy to hear that nothing was said by Thomas about the White Sox.

"Nothing will come out real nice when you say stuff about anyone," Guillen said. "Someone won't like it. He should talk about the A's and move on. We gave Frank something he needed -- a ring. He helped us a couple of games to win the ring. He should be proud to leave Chicago with the ring."

A primary goal for Thomas, before his career ended, was to win a World Series championship. Thomas said his goal for 2006 is to earn another ring, but only to be on the field more for the A's.

His spoken goal met with a nod of approval from Nick Swisher, who has the locker next to Thomas. There's no doubt in Thomas' mind that he will be ready for Opening Day, meaning he plans on being part of the Oakland lineup when the A's arrive at U.S. Cellular Field for a three-game series on May 22.

This series should be just like any other, according to Thomas, with one distinct caveat. It's hard to forget the years of memories for possibly the White Sox greatest player.

"Going back to Chicago will be great, but it's a different focus now," Thomas said. "I'm on the West Coast. Going there will be another away game, but deep down, it will be something special."

Exceeding expectations: Sunday's World Baseball Classic contest between Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic drew a great deal of attention from the Guillen household in Tucson. While Cora was rooting for his homeland to top the Dominican, Puerto Rico's biggest victory ever, by Cora's estimation, Guillen was keeping an eye on two players on the Puerto Rico roster who soon will be helping the White Sox.

Alex Cintron had one hit and drove in one run with a suicide squeeze. But it was Javier Vazquez who earned top honors, striking out five and allowing one run over five innings. Guillen and Vazquez chatted for a few minutes by phone, after Vazquez iced down his arm.

"I don't think Vazquez will face a better team in the American League than that team from the Dominican Republic," Guillen said of Vazquez. "That's good for us.

"We bring [Vazquez] here and I know what we bring in, both off the field and on the field. Hopefully, we'll play good enough for him because I know this kid is going to win a lot of games here."

Guillen also joked that pitcher Jose Contreras was very upbeat in regard to Cuba's victory over his native Venezuela Sunday.

Honoring a friend: A.J. Pierzynski was back in Phoenix on Monday and in the starting lineup against the A's, after traveling to Minnesota for Sunday's service in memory of Kirby Puckett. Pierzynski started with the Twins in 1994, the year before Puckett finished his career with Minnesota, but the two knew each other through Puckett's continued work with the organization.

Puckett suffered a massive stroke last Sunday and passed away last Monday at the age of 45. Pierzynski only attended the private afternoon service, mentioning that a "who's who of baseball" was in Minnesota to pay their respects.

"It was nice to be there, but it was not a good reason to be there, obviously," said Pierzynski. "I was proud that I went. It was a nice tribute to him and it was something I was very happy I went to.

"Anyone that ever met Kirby knew how special he was. He would have appreciated seeing all the people that were there. It was very tastefully done and very nice."

Thomas, who played against Puckett and knew him through charitable endeavors, also made the trip to Minnesota.

"He's at peace now," said Thomas of Puckett. "But it was very tough to see him there in the casket."

Arizona heat: Hours before the start of Monday's contest in Phoenix, members of the White Sox were honored for their 2005 World Series title by Governor Janet Napolitano. Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, Williams, Konerko and Dye were in attendance, with Reinsdorf making a few remarks and presenting Napolitano with her own White Sox jersey.

The governor read an official proclamation honoring the White Sox. She added that any other team to win a championship, playing in the Cactus League during Spring Training, would receive the same honor.

Third to first: For the first time this spring, the White Sox hit back-to-back home runs on Monday. The culprits, as expected, were Joe Borchard and Pedro Lopez. Borchard also made his first start in center. ... Jim Thome finished 4-for-4, including an infield hit.

And that would've made a difference?  He still would've had the beef with Kenny and Jerry.

So? He could have kept it to himself. He could have left the Sox as a hero. Instead, he became Sammy Sosa Part 2. I love Frank but his exit was disappointing as hell. He was with a new team and should have been talking up the A's, not wasting time bashing the Sox front office. The Sox helped him get his ring like Ozzie said. He should have left all the bulls*** in the past.

By the way, Frank only had a beef with KW. He has always had a good relationship with JR.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
So?  He could have kept it to himself.  He could have left the Sox as a hero.  Instead, he became Sammy Sosa Part 2.  I love Frank but his exit was disappointing as hell.  He was with a new team and should have been talking up the A's, not wasting time bashing the Sox front office.  The Sox helped him get his ring like Ozzie said.  He should have left all the bulls*** in the past.

By the way, Frank only had a beef with KW.  He has always had a good relationship with JR.

As I said above, Frank was wrong for the way he went about it. But I believe he had legitimate complaints. Anyway, I'm not about to start another Frank vs Kenny debate.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 06:30 PM)
So?  He could have kept it to himself.  He could have left the Sox as a hero.  Instead, he became Sammy Sosa Part 2.  I love Frank but his exit was disappointing as hell.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old Comiskey close in 1990, correct?

Edit: Confirmed 1990 is correct.

I've done some research as earthshiner's post got me to thinking. Here are players that were on AL rosters in 1990 and could have played in the old ballpark and are expected to play in 2006:

Frank Thomas. Omar Vizquel. Ken Griffey, Jr. Randy Johnson. Tom Gordon. Steve Finley. Sandy Alomar, Jr.

Here are guys that were on AL rosters whose 2006 status is up in the air or I personally am not sure about their status.

Roger Clemens. Scott Erickson. Rafael Palmeiro. Julio Franco. Ruben Sierra. Juan Gonzalez. Sammy Sosa.

Given, it's almost a lock we have seen the last of Palmeiro, Gonzalez and Sosa.

So, as of Frank's last appearance, he was the last White Sox player to have played for them in Old Comiskey.

Ediited again to add: We also never know Rickey Henderson will show up again. He'd qualify as well. :lol:

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 10:23 AM)
Frank really had to put this behind him--what was he going to go into the hall as a White Sox while still pissed off at everyone?  No way.

good work YASNY. How could I have forgotten abount Franco. Right now he is looking to be the backup to Delgado for the Mets