brees a Saint

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
Titan.

Definitely. Young is going out of the top 5 in the draft now, and will likely end up around 9 or 10 to the Lions (unless they plan on Kitna being a long term answer) or Cardinals (unless they plan on Warner being the long term answer).

Edited by Felix

Scott Wright on his current nfldraftcountdown.com mock:

Usually at the end of each pick's analysis I give some alternate scenarios as to what other direction the team might potentially go but in this case that is unnecessary because I honestly can't envision any situation in which the Saints do not take Leinart right here. In fact, I'm about as confident in this projection as I ever have been in the past. You might as well get out a pen and write down "2. New Orleans Saints - Matt Leinart, QB, USC" because it is a done deal.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Those aren't meant as ridiculing lols, cuz I think pretty much everyone thought the same thing (and I like nfldraftcountdown, so...). It's just so damn funny how hard everyone tries to figure this stuff out when it's this much up in the air.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
Well Crazyman26 just lost another excuse why Rex won't be the starter. :rolly

Is he banned from talkbears.com too? :lol:

LOL, i was going to say something but thought "Naaaaaah"

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
Definitely.  Young is going out of the top 5 in the draft now, and will likely end up around 9 or 10 to the Lions (unless they plan on Kitna being a long term answer) or Cardinals (unless they plan on Warner being the long term answer).

Reunited with Norm Chow. How big is that?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 06:08 PM)
I think the Saints are gonna draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson now.  The desperately need o-line help.

that or maybe Mario Williams. i guess he's supposed to be one of the best players DE's coming into the NFL draft in quite a while.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 06:14 PM)
that or maybe Mario Williams.  i guess he's supposed to be one of the best players DE's coming into the NFL draft in quite a while.

Well, he certainly appears to be the most polished prospect since Julius Peppers. If I were the Saints, I would try the move down as best I could. If they are able to slide down a few spots, draft Ferguson, and make some wise selections in the second and third round, they will have themselves a nice little off-season and will definitely have something to work with in 2006. Aaron Brooks will either be cut or traded, there's a new coach in town, and they will have their first real quarterback since Archie Manning.

I've been going over the books for a little while now, and, I just don't know if anyone will be willing to jump up to the two slot. There is a lot of talent to be had and if the Saints stay put, that pretty much means both Leinart and Young we be available later than anticipated.

If I had to guess right here, right now: Leinart to the Titans and his buddy Norm Chow, Cutler taken far too high by the Jets, and Young falls to the Raiders with the seventh overall selection--no later than 9 to the Lions.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
San Diego will rue this day.  I think Leinart is a Jet now.

You think? Brees is damn good. This frees them up to get Mario Williams. Brees is a proven QB. Leinhart may be good and better than Brees, but he has proven nothing at the NFL level. I think this is a great signing by NO. Mario Williams is going to be a big time player.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
Well, he certainly appears to be the most polished prospect since Julius Peppers.  If I were the Saints, I would try the move down as best I could.  If they are able to slide down a few spots, draft Ferguson, and make some wise selections in the second and third round, they will have themselves a nice little off-season and will definitely have something to work with in 2006.  Aaron Brooks will either be cut or traded, there's a new coach in town, and they will have their first real quarterback since Archie Manning.

I've been going over the books for a little while now, and, I just don't know if anyone will be willing to jump up to the two slot.  There is a lot of talent to be had and if the Saints stay put, that pretty much means both Leinart and Young we be available later than anticipated.

If I had to guess right here, right now: Leinart to the Titans and his buddy Norm Chow, Cutler taken far too high by the Jets, and Young falls to the Raiders with the seventh overall selection--no later than 9 to the Lions.

I believe this is what Houston will try to do. I bet Houston tries to trade down (possibly with the Jets so they can get Bush and the NFL would love him in media capital New York City) and then draft Ferguson. Houston just needs so much help in so many places, especially O-Line.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 03:36 AM)
You think? Brees is damn good. This frees them up to get Mario Williams. Brees is a proven QB. Leinhart may be good and better than Brees, but he has proven nothing at the NFL level. I think this is a great signing by NO. Mario Williams is going to be a big time player.

:lolhitting

If SD gets Williams, that would be a coup. :lol:

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 07:46 PM)
Oh, my fault. Maybe I should put on my reading glasses or get these cataracts taken care of. I could have swore that said N.O.

Nope. I think this is a great move by N.O. Adding a pro-bowler and vet at QB who someone else did all the hard work of developing, combined with adding top-of-a-loaded-draft talent, yowza.

I mean, San Diego should have at least found a way to trade Brees for something after they franchised him if they were going to go with Rivers. Especially last year when the QB Market was so thin they could have gotten a ton for him. Instead they get nothing. That team could have been absolutely loaded.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Nope.  I think this is a great move by N.O.  Adding a pro-bowler and vet at QB who someone else did all the hard work of developing, combined with adding top-of-a-loaded-draft talent, yowza.

I mean, San Diego should have at least found a way to trade Brees for something after they franchised him if they were going to go with Rivers.  Especially last year when the QB Market was so thin they could have gotten a ton for him.  Instead they get nothing.  That team could have been absolutely loaded.

So now i wonder what the saints do with aaron brooks. Possibly trade him as bait in the draft. San Diego made a nice move Rivers should do well with all the options he has on offense.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)
So now i wonder what the saints do with aaron brooks.  Possibly trade him as bait in the draft.  San Diego made a nice move Rivers should do well with all the options he has on offense.

I can tell you what they'll try to do. They'll try to trade him the coming weeks before they'll have to outright cut him. I assure you he won't be with the team in 2006. Naturally, the Saints are in a tough spot he because they know they aren't likely to get equal value if they trade him with the entire league knowing they'll have to cut him anyway.

:lolhitting

Speak of the devil...

Per roto:

Saints released Aaron Brooks.

Brooks leaves New Orleans as one of the most confusing, talented, and winning quarterbacks to play for the Saints. He fell apart in 2005, but still has 120 career touchdowns to 84 interceptions and started the only playoff win in franchise history. The Raiders, Vikings, Ravens, Lions, and Packers all make logical pursuers.

If good ol' number four is hanging it up, I'm bringing Aaron Brooks back to the Packers organization. He'd challenge Rodgers in camp and if the kid falters, you'll have a starting quarterback to bring in.

If Harrington is out in Detroit, also look for the Lions to make a play for Brooks.