MRIs for Pods, Hermanson

SSH2005

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
So now you're saying he'll freeze to death.  It never ends...

Is this sarcasm? Do I really have to explain the fact that it might make it more difficult for him to get his shoulder loosened up in order to swing? Also, just because it's a strain, it doesn't mean he's picking up a bat today and facing live pitching. Sounds like they hope to have him ready by the end of the wk, which would probably allow him to be ready for Opening Day.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
Is this sarcasm?  Do I really have to explain the fact that it might make it more difficult for him to get his shoulder loosened up in order to swing?  Also, just because it's a strain, it doesn't mean he's picking up a bat today and facing live pitching.  Sounds like they hope to have him ready by the end of the wk, which would probably allow him to be ready for Opening Day.

I think it was sarcasm. Pointless sarcasm, but sarcasm none the less.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
Is this sarcasm?  Do I really have to explain the fact that it might make it more difficult for him to get his shoulder loosened up in order to swing?  Also, just because it's a strain, it doesn't mean he's picking up a bat today and facing live pitching.  Sounds like they hope to have him ready by the end of the wk, which would probably allow him to be ready for Opening Day.

In the answering a question with a question department: Do I really have to answer this?

Yes, it was. How outlandish do I have to be to make it obvious?

Edit: Then again, since the leap from 'miss opening day' to 'arm will fall off' was already made here seriously, maybe I should have just used green...

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
In the answering a question with a question department:  Do I really have to answer this?

Yes, it was.  How outlandish do I have to be to make it obvious?

Edit: Then again, since the leap from 'miss opening day' to 'arm will fall off' was already made here seriously, maybe I should have just used green...

I just wanted to make sure you weren't making fun of the point I was trying to make about how sore muscles are a lot harder to get loose when it's cold out. :P

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
Anyone else here Count was scratched today because of strain in his forearm?

Yikes, that's not good. I remember that when Zambrano had a strained forearm a couple of years ago, they were worried that it was being caused by structural damage. Hopefully Contreras is fine.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
Im not going to worry right now. All it said on the update was that he was scratched because of some tightness in the forearm. Im sure those things can happen based on the increase of throwing come Spring.

However, its something to keep an eye on.

Better the forearm than the shoulder. Is it confirmed Podsednik is basically fine, or did the same doctor that said Ordonez was day to day 2 years ago examine him?

Herm was on the radio(670 the Score) talking about the different injuries.

Tendanitis in the triceps for the Count. They think it will be fine, and they believe he should be able to throw on Friday.

Tendanitis for Pods. He will throw on the side later this week. Nothing major to report.

He didnt say anything about hermansons back. Which pretty much tells you what is going on there.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
:headshake No news is bad news in this case. Dustin is done.

Pods is a huge piece to the Sox puzzle. I just hope they are careful with him.

The Jose situation doesnt sound like anything.

Herm did say that this entire season for Dustin will be like the last half of last year when he was basically shot. He gutted it out a few times, but he obviously can't be counted on.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
OBVIOUSLY Hindsight is 20/20, but I dont understand why surgery wasnt done the day after we won the Series.

There were threads about this at that time.

In short, from what I recall and know myself, back surgeries are dicey deals. They can fix all, or do worse damage, or something in between. With disc problems, surgery is seen as a last resort.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
OBVIOUSLY Hindsight is 20/20, but I dont understand why surgery wasnt done the day after we won the Series.

Actually I remember hermanson on the radio answering that question, He said if they do surgery then his career in baseball is over. He was waiting until after his career to have it done. Apparently the surgery is quite severe and would require no more abuse (like sports)

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
There were threads about this at that time.

In short, from what I recall and know myself, back surgeries are dicey deals.  They can fix all, or do worse damage, or something in between.  With disc problems, surgery is seen as a last resort.

I think there are very few athletes that were able to do much after back surgery. Scottie Pippen is one I know of, but if you know anyone who has had back surgery, they usually are still a little screwed up after the procedure.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
Herm did say that this entire season for Dustin will be like the last half of last year when he was basically shot. He gutted it out a few times, but he obviously can't be counted on.

Here's the problem....when he tried to gut it out, he had nothing on his pitches. I respect Hermanson for the great job he did for us last season, but I don't want him on the mound if he's not even close to 80 percent.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Here's the problem....when he tried to gut it out, he had nothing on his pitches.  I respect Hermanson for the great job he did for us last season, but I don't want him on the mound if he's not even close to 80 percent.

Right. His smoke and mirrors act is only going to work for a finite period of time. Watching how he was getting roped in the playoffs and thus far in spring training, that time appears to be up.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
According to George Offman of The Score, both Podsednik and Contreras have tendonitis.  Both problems should work themselves out.  Hermanson received an epidural shot and is scheduled to pitch Friday.

Herm on Pods

"There is no structural problem with Scotty," Schneider said, "And we plan on resuming his activites on Friday.  He's not going to hurt himself any more."

Herm on Contreras

"Structurally, he is fine," Schneider said.  "We just need to get this to calm down a little.  This is something he has never had before.  He said yesterday he felt great.  He may have just done a little too much.  It's like you stepping off a curb and tweaking something." Schneider said Contreras would resume his normal activities as soon as his elbow calmed down.  "He may come in tomorrow and feel better," the trainer said.

I will feel better about it after they return to the line-up.

They came to the same conclusion of arthroscopic surgery for Ordonez on Saturday morning at Rush University Medical Center, performed by Dr. Bush-Joseph. While Schneider still couldn't specify Ordonez's malady, he indicated Friday the injury doesn't seem to be severe.