The Bullpen Quandry Revisted

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 06:55 AM)
It's bad enough that we have to choose from one of these lefties.  We definately don't need two LOOGY's in our bullpen along with Cotts.  KW will get another righty to replace Hermanson.

I am just saying that if 2 of these guys turn out to be decent pitchers, would the Sox even consider going with 3 lefties?

I am just saying that if 2 of these guys turn out to be decent pitchers, would the Sox even consider going with 3 lefties?

I doubt it. There's not enough lefties for two extra lefty relievers to face and right-handed batters usually hammer sidearming lefties like Javier Lopez.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 07:22 AM)
I doubt it.  There's not enough lefties for two extra lefty relievers to face and right-handed batters usually hammer sidearming lefties like Javier Lopez.

I knew there was a chance:

The White Sox could break camp with lefties Neal Cotts, Boone Logan and Thornton in their bullpen.

"That's one scenario, and probably the leading scenario right now," Williams said. "With each day that goes by and each time I hear Dustin Hermanson talk about retirement and injury and getting through the season ... it just makes me think that we may need to start him on the disabled list at the very least to insure that mentally and physically he's ultimately ready to compete at the level in which we all saw him compete last year. This may require more discussion, but that's where we are right now."

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 07:04 AM)
I think they will use Thornton for mop-up duties only and Logan as the true LOOGY.  Thornton is obviously bad against both righties and lefties, but he's actually worse against lefties.

His stats are somewhat deceiving. He is definitely better vs Righties and has a fairly low BAA of .231. It just looks like he walks way too many batters because that BAA is nowhere in line with his WHIP (1.64) vs Righties.

For his career, batters only average .249 vs Thornton.